Greta Thunberg

Comments

• j1kotwicj1kotwic Posts: 168
    j1kotwic said:
    After reading through here (this particular thread and any other thread on AMT), I always wonder how it's possible that I am a pearl jam fan, work in natural gas industry, tend to vote Republican, practicing Catholic, etc. How can I be both a pearl jam fan and all these other things? Its like I am the embodiment of everything thing that sucks. Big gulp huh... welp, see ya later. 
    Run for the hills and spend your free time on other subjects on this pay site.  Make no mistake about it, YOU are the ENEMY on here after reading how you describe yourself.    It’s not called ALL Accepting Trip for a reason..... But if you do play on this thread, do it while taking your mourning glory and pay attention to Brian, he is the most reasonable person on here from what I have noticed.   God Bless 
    Finally! Someone that knows exactly how I feel when I read through AMT. Still working on my ignorance problem. It will take a while.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    j1kotwic said:
    j1kotwic said:
    After reading through here (this particular thread and any other thread on AMT), I always wonder how it's possible that I am a pearl jam fan, work in natural gas industry, tend to vote Republican, practicing Catholic, etc. How can I be both a pearl jam fan and all these other things? Its like I am the embodiment of everything thing that sucks. Big gulp huh... welp, see ya later. 
    Run for the hills and spend your free time on other subjects on this pay site.  Make no mistake about it, YOU are the ENEMY on here after reading how you describe yourself.    It’s not called ALL Accepting Trip for a reason..... But if you do play on this thread, do it while taking your mourning glory and pay attention to Brian, he is the most reasonable person on here from what I have noticed.   God Bless 
    Finally! Someone that knows exactly how I feel when I read through AMT. Still working on my ignorance problem. It will take a while.
    What is your feelings? Fear of a high school girl pointing out a global crisis lol you both are snowflakes..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:
    when does the left get to start mocking and dismissing her views based on age and appearance only?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited February 2020
    Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    So very nice that she wanted to do it. :) Spreading the word about the consequences of inaction can only help us, is how I feel about it. 

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Kat said:
    So very nice that she wanted to do it. :) Spreading the word about the consequences of inaction can only help us, is how I feel about it. 

i agree. i am glad she got the chance to be a part of it. 

everybody better get used to her. at 17 she will probably be in the public eye for at least another 50 years.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Kat said:

I love the video, seeing Greta in it, the song.  First PJ song in some time that really gets to me in such a  good way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Powerful imagery. Has anyone heard anything about any measurable differences, even tiny ones, in climate change since most of us have been in lockdown? It's a short period of time to think about what's happening on the planet but I'm wondering if the ice melt has slowed at all. I'm sure we'd need to treat the planet better for a longer period of time to make a huge difference but I just thought I'd ask. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Kat said:
    Powerful imagery. Has anyone heard anything about any measurable differences, even tiny ones, in climate change since most of us have been in lockdown? It's a short period of time to think about what's happening on the planet but I'm wondering if the ice melt has slowed at all. I'm sure we'd need to treat the planet better for a longer period of time to make a huge difference but I just thought I'd ask. 
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200422-how-has-coronavirus-helped-the-environment

One negative I can clearly see is the disposal of all the gloves and masks on a daily that make it or don't to the local landfill.  I do know our state has stopped recycling for over a month now.

But, less carbon emissions.
    Kat said:
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200422-how-has-coronavirus-helped-the-environment

One negative I can clearly see is the disposal of all the gloves and masks on a daily that make it or don't to the local landfill.  I do know our state has stopped recycling for over a month now.

The other unfortunate thing, at least in our area, it that stores do not allow you to bring your own bag, so now paper and plastic bags are in greater use again, plus all restaurants until recently could only serve take-out, so lots more throw away packaging. 

But I still think the net gain is that there are fewer carbon emissions from decreased driving and, particularly, from reduced air travel. 

Most people I know love to travel but reduced travel would help this planet hugely.  I haven't been more than a couple hours drive from home for at least a couple years.  I'm good with that.  I'm not slamming those who travel- my wife likes to, especially with her daughter being 1250 miles away- or saying no one should travel, but if fewer of us did, it would help a lot.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

The other unfortunate thing, at least in our area, it that stores do not allow you to bring your own bag, so now paper and plastic bags are in greater use again, plus all restaurants until recently could only serve take-out, so lots more throw away packaging. 

But I still think the net gain is that there are fewer carbon emissions from decreased driving and, particularly, from reduced air travel. 

Most people I know love to travel but reduced travel would help this planet hugely.  I haven't been more than a couple hours drive from home for at least a couple years.  I'm good with that.  I'm not slamming those who travel- my wife likes to, especially with her daughter being 1250 miles away- or saying no one should travel, but if fewer of us did, it would help a lot.
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.  

Paper all day.  There are "pulp" wood that are planted everywhere and harvested for such things.  They are easily grown back so they are renewable.

I hate the single use plastic though.  If you are eating at home why the hell do you need utensils and napkins?  Ask if you need them.
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again.  

Paper all day.  There are "pulp" wood that are planted everywhere and harvested for such things.  They are easily grown back so they are renewable.

I hate the single use plastic though.  If you are eating at home why the hell do you need utensils and napkins?  Ask if you need them.

Single use plastic- ugh!  I agree, terrible!

As for using trees to make pulp for paper products, hemp is more sustainable and better for the environment.  Hemp is a nitrogen fixing plant that is actually good for the soil and is less apt to be grown in areas that cause erosion.  A greater amount of hemp can be grown per acre in a shorter period of time (about 10 tons of hemp can be grown per acre in 4 months), and hemp makes a superior paper that lasts longer and can be recycled more often than paper made from trees.

• Yes..thanks for sharing...I bet you did not even have to look that up!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Kat said:
    I just realized...neither one is smiling. I mean wtf?  NO smile?  Or if that is there smile, that sucks.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    That's definitely a smile from Greta.
    Kat said:
    I just realized...neither one is smiling. I mean wtf?  NO smile?  Or if that is there smile, that sucks.
    greta is clearly smiling. maybe malala has trouble smiling.  you know. acid to the face and all that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Kat said:
    greta is clearly smiling. maybe malala has trouble smiling.  you know. acid to the face and all that. 
    That's true.  I just thought it was interesting, I'm not making any political statement here.  I've now looked up and have seen much different smiles from them.  Honestly I was just surprised, cause if you met someone who was your role model...I bet you'd be beaming!  I know I would.  Just an aside observation.  Great has a really nice, warm smile when she uses it!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    The far-right nutjobs are ripping on Pearl Jam and Greta over on Breitbart. Figured it would happen after the video. 
    eddiec said:
    The far-right nutjobs are ripping on Pearl Jam and Greta over on Breitbart. Figured it would happen after the video. 

I try to socially distance from the far-wrong as much as possible these days. 

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Therightwingdumbfuckery blogosphere is going nuts and thirsting for blood.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Smellyman said:
    ah screw em. let them live in their bubble of hate.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Swedish radio (P1) has a yearly thing every summer where like 10 people are picked to guest host the program "Summer with P1" where they can talk about whatever they like and play songs they like. It is always a big thing every year when the roster of the summer is revealed in Sweden. This year, the first one out was to be Greta Thunberg. And she also recorded her in english (I think as a cooperation with the british BBC). And it's available here. I don't think the english version has the music though, just Greta.

Greta Thunberg: Humanity has not yet failed

Climate activist Greta Thunberg urges world leaders to do more. ”Doing our best is no longer good enough. We must now do the seemingly impossible,” Thunberg says in the Swedish Radio show “Summer on P1” where she takes us along her trip to the front lines of the climate crisis.

– We don’t accept these odds.
    That was Greta Thunberg’s principal message while speaking before the General Assembly of the United Nations last year. It referred to the remaining CO2-budget of humanity.

– But the only message that seems to have resonated is “how dare you”, she says in the beginning of her Program, Summer on P1, a well-known Swedish Radio Show.

After her speech, Greta and her father travel through 37 states in total.

– Apart from a few wind power plants and solar panels, there are no signs whatsoever of any sustainable transition, despite this being the richest country in the world.

She has been discouraged from visiting the state of Alberta in Canada, but goes there anyway. Alberta is one of the western world’s largest oil producers and has a very powerful and aggressive oil lobby.

– On several occasions I need to call for police protection when the level of threats and the sheer harassments become too serious, she witnesses in her program.

On her way to Jasper Nation Park she drives through magnificent pine forests, but many trees aren’t green, their needles are either brown or have been lost entirely. She visits the Athabasca glacier and on her way up to the glacier she can see the signs of how the glacier has disappeared meter by meter, it is currently withdrawing five meter every year. The last 125 years the glacier has lost half of its volume, due to global heating.

– This year – 2020 – the emission curve must be bent steeply downwards, if we are to still have even a small chance of achieving the goals that world leaders have agreed to, says Greta Thunberg. Either we go on as a civilization, or we don’t. Doing our best is no longer good enough. We must now do the seemingly impossible. And that is up to you and me. Because no one else will do it for us.

You can listen to it here, let me know if it is blocked outside of Sweden/Europe or whatever:

https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1535269?fbclid=IwAR2bWTbLAiBu8_mLmEFqtDZipOcKpHwsEv6QTwL5IBG_VQ_lCJDVSRpKuuw
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Smellyman said:
    you ever wonder how they consider us the party of hate? I don't understand. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Smellyman said:
    you ever wonder how they consider us the party of hate? I don't understand. 

The hate from the right aimed at Greta and others like her lately is full on, full tilt, rattlesnakes on amphetamines.  For some real wankers who will set your teeth on edge, just check out some of the hate posts following Kunstler's blog this morning (not to mention his own on-going irate fits about the Democratic party to which he once belonged):

edited June 2020
    Swedish radio (P1) has a yearly thing every summer where like 10 people are picked to guest host the program "Summer with P1" where they can talk about whatever they like and play songs they like. It is always a big thing every year when the roster of the summer is revealed in Sweden. This year, the first one out was to be Greta Thunberg. And she also recorded her in english (I think as a cooperation with the british BBC). And it's available here. I don't think the english version has the music though, just Greta.

Greta Thunberg: Humanity has not yet failed

Climate activist Greta Thunberg urges world leaders to do more. ”Doing our best is no longer good enough. We must now do the seemingly impossible,” Thunberg says in the Swedish Radio show “Summer on P1” where she takes us along her trip to the front lines of the climate crisis.

– We don’t accept these odds.
    That was Greta Thunberg’s principal message while speaking before the General Assembly of the United Nations last year. It referred to the remaining CO2-budget of humanity.

– But the only message that seems to have resonated is “how dare you”, she says in the beginning of her Program, Summer on P1, a well-known Swedish Radio Show.

After her speech, Greta and her father travel through 37 states in total.

– Apart from a few wind power plants and solar panels, there are no signs whatsoever of any sustainable transition, despite this being the richest country in the world.

She has been discouraged from visiting the state of Alberta in Canada, but goes there anyway. Alberta is one of the western world’s largest oil producers and has a very powerful and aggressive oil lobby.

– On several occasions I need to call for police protection when the level of threats and the sheer harassments become too serious, she witnesses in her program.

On her way to Jasper Nation Park she drives through magnificent pine forests, but many trees aren’t green, their needles are either brown or have been lost entirely. She visits the Athabasca glacier and on her way up to the glacier she can see the signs of how the glacier has disappeared meter by meter, it is currently withdrawing five meter every year. The last 125 years the glacier has lost half of its volume, due to global heating.

– This year – 2020 – the emission curve must be bent steeply downwards, if we are to still have even a small chance of achieving the goals that world leaders have agreed to, says Greta Thunberg. Either we go on as a civilization, or we don’t. Doing our best is no longer good enough. We must now do the seemingly impossible. And that is up to you and me. Because no one else will do it for us.

You can listen to it here, let me know if it is blocked outside of Sweden/Europe or whatever:

https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/1535269?fbclid=IwAR2bWTbLAiBu8_mLmEFqtDZipOcKpHwsEv6QTwL5IBG_VQ_lCJDVSRpKuuw
    1,048,000 swedes listened to Greta Thunberg's program, which is the highest figure for an individual "P1 Summer" program since the current survey method was introduced in 2013.

- It's a wonderful feeling to think that over a million Swedes were listening live at the "P1 Summer" premiere last Saturday. Greta Thunberg's "P1 Summer" is a brilliant program in every way, but also demanding with a tough message, says program manager Bibi Rödöö in a press release.

(so let me know if anyone want the english spoken version)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524