RIP Kobe Bryant

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mrussel1 said:
    Redemption requires an acknowledgement and admission of guilt and honest efforts to make amends to the person harmed. Do people think that adequately happened? 

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado

And look at everything he did for youth and women's sports for past decade... and again, we have three young girls without a father.  I think we can dance another day.  

Calling another person’s opinion “dancing” is an attempt to dismiss it. 

People are complex, and some more than others. The fact that Bryant’s family and friends are mourning him does not negate that other opinions are also valid. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    Redemption requires an acknowledgement and admission of guilt and honest efforts to make amends to the person harmed. Do people think that adequately happened? 

First, I want to apologize directly to the young woman involved in this incident. I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colorado.

I also want to make it clear that I do not question the motives of this young woman. No money has been paid to this woman. She has agreed that this statement will not be used against me in the civil case. Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado

And look at everything he did for youth and women's sports for past decade... and again, we have three young girls without a father.  I think we can dance another day.  

Calling another person’s opinion “dancing” is an attempt to dismiss it. 

People are complex, and some more than others. The fact that Bryant’s family and friends are mourning him does not negate that other opinions are also valid. 
    Not my point that he wasn't flawed.  He certainly was.  But the post that precipitated this discussion was callous  (at best) for the situation.  Don't celebrate his death. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My thoughts, he made a huge mistake that people in power/ money feel entitled to with no consequences. Probably the first time in his life that he couldn't cover it up as he was a pro from HS. From there, he did reform. Fixed his family, publicly apologized and did do a lot of charity work. Definitely one of the best ever players but questionable morals for half his life. I feel terrible for his wife and surviving children. 
    And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the p****. You can do anything.
    Wait at least a day before you dance on the grave.  Everyone knows your pov.
    And what point of view is that?

Rapists = bad ?

That the world is a better place with one less rapist in it? 

That point of view?
    Evidently you don't believe in contrition or redemption.  Good for you.  

I believe in redemption

Remind me again how many days Kobe spent in jail?
    That's cool that you're also happy that three young girls lost their father,  including am infant.  

If he was in jail instead of on a helicopter he might still be alive
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    ogre1213 said:
    Listen to yellow Ledbetter in Jacksonville. Eddie says “bye kobe bye Kobe“ it was his last game that night. So sad 
    Never knew that.  Cool
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTwsVHqh-nU
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    My thoughts, he made a huge mistake that people in power/ money feel entitled to with no consequences. Probably the first time in his life that he couldn't cover it up as he was a pro from HS. From there, he did reform. Fixed his family, publicly apologized and did do a lot of charity work. Definitely one of the best ever players but questionable morals for half his life. I feel terrible for his wife and surviving children. 
    And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab ’em by the p****. You can do anything.

Rapists = bad ?

That point of view?

I believe in redemption

That's cool that you're also happy that three young girls lost their father,  including am infant.  

This thread is to mourn the man & his daughter tragically killed in an accident, if you wanna bash it’s your choice so please start your own thread to bash him ..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    As usual Barack delivers: 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yep totally classy human ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    mcgruff10 said:
    Meanwhile Trump tweeted only four people were killed 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    My feelings toward Kobe have always been complicated...
    I “played” against Kobe in middle school (2 garbage time points!)...rooted against him for four years in high school as he went to my school’s biggest rival (that team and Kobe himself were so arrogant and were easy to root against even if you didn’t go to his rival school—although my aunt taught him at LM and always said he was a great kid)...was pissed that he basically forced himself to the Lakers....rooted against him in the ‘01 Finals when he said he wanted to cut our hearts out...then felt bad his hometown booed him at the Allstar game in ‘02...initially felt he got away with rape a few years later... and then I just generally disliked him until recently when he became an elder statesman of the game. Going out with 60 (although incredibly inefficiently) was pretty cool. 

If I’m being honest, I think because he was an enemy of sorts I was biased towards him regarding the rape case. I guess the evidence was not that strong against him, in hindsight. And he did apologize for any confusion regarding the question of it benign consensual or not. And, by all accounts seemed to have grown into a good well respected person with a beautiful family. 

He was a hell of a basketball player, that much is certain. For this to happen a day after Lebron passes him in total points, in Philadelphia of all places, is definitely creepy. 

Watched ten minutes of the Grammy’s for the first time in forever last night to see how they would handle it. Boy to Men was a great idea. 

RIP Kobe  

chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^Quality post right there.  Good stuff.
  • For some reason my friends and I were obsessed with this commercial. We'd always impersonate the way the guy says "KOOBE!" at the 4-second mark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBJcJtTa0E

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited January 2020
    Well said juggler.  As a school teacher I would flinch when I heard “Kobe” in class as I knew some object was heading in the air toward the garbagecan. lol 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • 2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Rapists = bad ?

That point of view?

I believe in redemption

This thread is to mourn the man & his daughter tragically killed in an accident, if you wanna bash it’s your choice so please start your own thread to bash him ..

I feel for the daughter, I really do.  She was an innocent victim.

So was the massage therapist Kobe raped.  She was an innocent victim and someone's daughter as well. 

If I were a Christian, perhaps I might suggest this was God's way of taking an eye for an eye, but that would be uncouth.

How many women do you think Kobe raped before he caught?  Do you really think that was the only time?

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    The Australian Open delaying matches to have a Kobe tribute was pretty damn cool.  

Certain athletes or celebs transcend their own craft.  The world really paused for a little while.  He was massively popular on almost every continent. 

Still feels weird. Very sad. 
  • CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Rapists = bad ?

That point of view?

I believe in redemption

So was the massage therapist Kobe raped.  She was an innocent victim and someone's daughter as well. 

If I were a Christian, perhaps I might suggest this was God's way of taking an eye for an eye, but that would be uncouth.

How many women do you think Kobe raped before he caught?  Do you really think that was the only time?

Talk about being desperate for attention on a message board. And I don't even disagree with you on Kobe. But come on. You're just trolling. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    CM189191 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Rapists = bad ?

That point of view?

I believe in redemption

Just go away already. Christians don’t believe in “an eye for an eye”. You’re talking out of your ass and making a fool of yourself. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Talk about being desperate for attention on a message board. And I don't even disagree with you on Kobe. But come on. You're just trolling. 
    He/she is not going to stop until it becomes a nasty argument, name calling and thread shutdown. Why can’t he/she begin their own thread? 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    yes. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yes. 
    +1
    mcgruff10 said:
    yes. 
    +1
    No it didn't. He never admitted to raping her and wasn't convicted of it either...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    mrussel1 said:

mcgruff10 said:
    yes. 
    +1
    No it didn't. He never admitted to raping her and wasn't convicted of it either...
    k, I somewhat read often's question incorrectly. No, he didn't make amends to the person harmed. But he moved forward making amends to the broader community of women, in my opinion. 

however, I can't personally reconcile "I thought it was consensual". I mean, if she was screaming and saying no the entire time, how is that not obvious? so there's obviously more to it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Renfield said:
    He/she is not going to stop until it becomes a nasty argument, name calling and thread shutdown. Why can’t he/she begin their own thread? 

interesting point....how many women are in this thread defending Kobe?  Any?  

I was really disappointed to see Alicia Keys pay tribute last night.  I expected more from her.  
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    CM189191 said:
    Renfield said:

I was really disappointed to see Alicia Keys pay tribute last night.  I expected more from her.  
    Millions of women across the world paid tribute yesterday. I think you have a bigger beef on your hands than just Alicia Keys. 
    mrussel1 said:

$2.5 million is a lot of money to pay someone who you didn't rape
    CM189191 said:
    Renfield said:

Literally just walked out of the faculty room and six women were all saying how upset they were over this. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    yes. 
    +1
    k, I somewhat read often's question incorrectly. No, he didn't make amends to the person harmed. But he moved forward making amends to the broader community of women, in my opinion. 

however, I can't personally reconcile "I thought it was consensual". I mean, if she was screaming and saying no the entire time, how is that not obvious? so there's obviously more to it. 
    We were not there. According to him she wasn't doing that. She said no to his.....placing some bodily fluids on her face. The fact that she said no to that and didn't say no to anything else is the reason he thought it was consensual. At least, from what I remember...

So my point is he never apologized for raping her because he believes he did not rape her. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggs said:
    CM189191 said:
    Renfield said:

Millions of women across the world paid tribute yesterday. I think you have a bigger beef on your hands than just Alicia Keys. 
    To be a devil's advocate, I think there are millions of women that will pay tribute to Bill Clinton when he dies too. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mcgruff10 said:
    yes. 
    +1

We were not there. According to him she wasn't doing that. She said no to his.....placing some bodily fluids on her face. The fact that she said no to that and didn't say no to anything else is the reason he thought it was consensual. At least, from what I remember...

So my point is he never apologized for raping her because he believes he did not rape her. 
    ew, gross. I never knew (or don't recall) the details of the incident. but that just sounds pervy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD