I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    It's hard to tell.  There's no distinctive UPC or catalog number that I can see in the listing.  It says 2003, but no version was released that year according to Discogs.  Since it says "black swirls" my guess is it's this one.  https://www.discogs.com/John-Coltrane-A-Love-Supreme/release/12337205  The ratings look pretty good for it.  If you end up doing it, let me know how it is.  It's one of the versions I'm considering.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2020
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Of course Impulse calls everything GR-155.  
    So... is that the single LP (not the 3x LP with the outtakes) 
    And is that regular black or the translucent black smoke from the Sound of Vinyl?  If it's a new copy straight black, then I think I have that one and have some non fill on B.  Could be my copy if yours is dead quiet all the way to the end. 
    Its the regular black.  Mine seems quiet all the way through.  Didn't notice any distortion at all. Not sure where its from as it was a xmas gift from my sister in law.
    Thanks Abe.  Could be my copy.  I guess this is another excuse to add to my "Damn, why do I have four of these?" collection.  
    I am still hoping I come across one of the 2013 AP Kevin Gray cuts of this for a good price.
    Yeah but every time I look, they are 200 plus.  AP should do some reissues.  There's a handful I'd love to own.  That's at the top. 
    No doubt, I would be a repress of that, yesterday. lol
    Is the Newbury Comics cut any good?
    There are so many cuts of this record. I would have to go back and look and see which ones are the best. I know the Wes Garland cut is average... and lots of newer versions use it's plates. One of the newer TML cuts is supposedly better, haven't heard it.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Of course Impulse calls everything GR-155.  
    So... is that the single LP (not the 3x LP with the outtakes) 
    And is that regular black or the translucent black smoke from the Sound of Vinyl?  If it's a new copy straight black, then I think I have that one and have some non fill on B.  Could be my copy if yours is dead quiet all the way to the end. 
    Its the regular black.  Mine seems quiet all the way through.  Didn't notice any distortion at all. Not sure where its from as it was a xmas gift from my sister in law.
    Thanks Abe.  Could be my copy.  I guess this is another excuse to add to my "Damn, why do I have four of these?" collection.  
    I am still hoping I come across one of the 2013 AP Kevin Gray cuts of this for a good price.
    Yeah but every time I look, they are 200 plus.  AP should do some reissues.  There's a handful I'd love to own.  That's at the top. 
    No doubt, I would be a repress of that, yesterday. lol
    Is the Newbury Comics cut any good?
    There are so many cuts of this record. I would have to go back and look and see which ones are the best. I know the Wes Garland cut is average... and lots of newer versions use it's plates. One of the newer TML cuts is supposedly better, haven't heard it.
    I have TML cut.  It's good, but I get static during the bass solo on side 2.  It's a damn shame.  It's possible I need to play with the anti-skate though. 
    Yeah, that's the one.  I'll give you 50 bucks for it.  
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    hmmmmmmm
  • mrussel1 said:
    Is it worth the $50? I have no problem ordering it if it is.

Thanks
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks
    It's out of press.  Tim knows what he has. 
    Black gold
    Waiting for a repress of that one.They will one day.
    I got motivated and went to the AP site and ordered Monk's Dream and Steamin with Miles Davis Quintent, both cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. 
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    I got motivated and went to the AP site and ordered Monk's Dream and Steamin with Miles Davis Quintent, both cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. 
    Nice! Monk's Dream is classic. That Impex pressing is great. I actually considered getting the MFSL 1-step but didn't.
    Post edited by MedozK on
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Nice! Monk's Dream is classic. That Impex pressing is great. I actually considered getting the MFSL 1-step but didn't.
    Yeah isn't that  like 150 to 200?  I can't imagine it's that much better than an AP at retail price of 35 bucks. 
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah isn't that  like 150 to 200?  I can't imagine it's that much better than an AP at retail price of 35 bucks. 
    Yea, $125. I only have  one 1-Step (What's Going On). Should have picked up the Santana, if for nothing else resell, but I didn't see it as something I wanted already having the MFSL at the time.
    Those AP Prestige Miles pressings are phenomenal as well. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    just paid for Lost Dogs.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks

If my budget was such that $275 for an LP was doable, I'd go with the Analogue Productions based on how much I like the LP's they put out that I do have already (but don't have this Coltrane).  But for my money, the Impulse GR-155 Limited Edition that I do have is great and I'm very happy with it.  It's still out there minty for $30:

I used to have an original early pressing but it was a bit worn out from my early days of having mediocre turntables/cartridges, so I sold it and got the above.  It sounds great.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks

If my budget was such that $275 for an LP was doable, I'd go with the Analogue Productions based on how much I like the LP's they put out that I do have already (but don't have this Coltrane).  But for my money, the Impulse GR-155 Limited Edition that I do have is great and I'm very happy with it.  It's still out there minty for $30:

I used to have an original early pressing but it was a bit worn out from my early days of having mediocre turntables/cartridges, so I sold it and got the above.  It sounds great.
    Good feedback there Brian.  I'll check this one out.  I definitely don't have a 1995.  I'm also not inclined to spend the AP $, but if it went back to press and was $50, I would do it in a minute.  
    AIC DIRT
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:

Thanks

Good feedback there Brian.  I'll check this one out.  I definitely don't have a 1995.  I'm also not inclined to spend the AP $, but if it went back to press and was $50, I would do it in a minute.  

Yeah, for $50 an AP Love Supreme would be most excellent!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Vapor Trails remix and Test For Echo.....

• mickeyrat said:
    Vapor Trails remix and Test For Echo.....
    Love it. Once I get my bonus and income tax return to pay off all the flights, hotels, airline tickets, concert tickets for PJ in 2020 I’m going to fatten up my Rush vinyl collection. 
    Used Permanent Waves pending.....

RUSH-
    Time Machine 2011
    A Show Of Hands
    Presto
    Hold Your Fire

Page and Plant Walking Into Clarksdale

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    mickeyrat said:
    RUSH-
    Time Machine 2011
    A Show Of Hands
    Presto
    Hold Your Fire

Where’d you get the Page and Plant? Not a strong album but man I wore it out from the hype of seeing that tour. 
    DewieCox said:
    mickeyrat said:
    RUSH-
    Time Machine 2011
    A Show Of Hands
    Presto
    Hold Your Fire

Where’d you get the Page and Plant? Not a strong album but man I wore it out from the hype of seeing that tour. 
    Discogs.  Sealed copy too. Given their history together, I find this record nicely done. Has a few standout tunes for me. Will be getting the No Quarter too...

SP Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

mickeyrat said:
    You're on a roll
    edited January 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    You're on a roll
    I need to stop for a while. credit has taken a hit.

on that note....
    AIC S/T in white (unofficial of course)

need to stay. off discogs ebay and amazon and build through the bins at the 5 or 6 local shops in town.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    You're on a roll
    I need to stop for a while. credit has taken a hit.

on that note....
    AIC S/T in white (unofficial of course)

need to stay. off discogs ebay and amazon and build through the bins at the 5 or 6 local shops in town.....
    I think i am staying away from the unofficial records.  Bought that ST QOTSA album and it sounds horrible...