Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I wanted Girardi. 
    I am a Kris Bryant guy.
    I wonder the impact Ross will have on keeping/trading KB (as has been rumored).

I expect nothing out of a Ross led team with a bullpen like they have. There are other issues to be sure, but can they entirely re-vamp a bullpen in a single offseason?
    If they trade KB, then I'll personally start the #FireTheo and #FireJed hashtags.  About the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.  The fact that it's even a talking point pisses me off.  That's your franchise guy that YOU drafted, you fucking shmucks!  Your Rookie of the Year, your Most Valuable Player, your World Series Champion.
    If Ross can play a hand in convincing those dumbasses that Bryant's worth keeping, he'll have his first managerial victory before he takes the field.

I'm shocked by the amount of Cubs fans that want them to trade Bryant.  A 27 year old with that type of talent is not a guy that comes along too often.  Crazy.
    It's mind-boggling.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    KB will walk in free agency anyway.  I think the mindset of many fans is to trade and get some value in return.  With the way the Cubs handled calling him up from the minors, it seems doubtful that he’s willing to give any home town discounts, or that he has a strong desire to stay. 
    bbiggs said:
    KB will walk in free agency anyway.  I think the mindset of many fans is to trade and get some value in return.  With the way the Cubs handled calling him up from the minors, it seems doubtful that he’s willing to give any home town discounts, or that he has a strong desire to stay. 
    That's just a narrative the media wants everyone to think.  He hasn't done anything to suggest he doesn't want to stay there.
    ^ Agreed, but Boras is his agent. He will fuel that fire. 
    KB has made some public comments about his displeasure with his calling up. I don’t recall his exact words, but he did not appreciate it. Whether or not he’s holding a grudge, anybody’s guess I suppose. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    KB has made some public comments about his displeasure with his calling up. I don’t recall his exact words, but he did not appreciate it. Whether or not he’s holding a grudge, anybody’s guess I suppose. 
    He's for sure holding a grudge.  The grievance that he filed back in 2015 regarding all that is finally being heard this week.  I know that the service time manipulation is allowed within the CBA but the whole thing is still nonsense.  I don't want the white sox doing any of that crap because of situations like KB is in....I sure as hell wouldn't forget about that when it came time to free agency if a team did that to me..  I think the whole service time thing is going to cause a players strike unless the owners make some huge concessions.  And I'll be 100% on the players side.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Read today that the Cubs were looking at Josh Lindblom. But he's apparently too expensive and the Cubs are looking to trim payroll. Also read that Castellanos is essentially out of the equation (due to aforementioned payroll cutting). Things seem a little too bleak on the north side these days.

But 2016 was still worth it!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Castellanos doesn't fit on the team.  The outfield with him in right & Heyward in center was god awful defensively.  Don't overpay someone based on a 2 month sample size.  The same people that hate deals like Heyward's & Darvish's are also the same ones who want to hand a blank check to Castellanos.
    Kris Bryant isn't holding a grudge.  Stop paying attention to the media.  Everyone in sportstalk wants soooooooooooooo badly for the Cubs to trade KB and that's all it is. Media persuasion.  The grievance filed is to set precedent for future handling or similar situations and to possibly change the rule to favor the players more in a futue CBA.
    ^ It was reported by a credible news source that the Cubs are discussing a deal involving KB with the Phillies. Can post link later. Very early, high level talks, but still shows its in the range of potential outcomes for him to be gone in 2020. We’ll see. 
    edited December 2019
    ^fuck

And \/ 
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

I will personally find Theo & Jed and punch them both in the fucking nutsack.  They will be fucking dead to me if they trade KB.  Fucking media gets their fucking way again.
    Especially if they trade him to that fucking shithole.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Media gets their way?
    Pushing the narrative. It happens all the time.
    I don't like the idea of trading KB. If he walks after 2021 as a FA for a mega deal then fine. But I just don't like letting him go right now. Especially when all the teams that are reportedly interested are in the friggin NL. 
    Castellanos doesn't fit on the team.  The outfield with him in right & Heyward in center was god awful defensively.  Don't overpay someone based on a 2 month sample size.  The same people that hate deals like Heyward's & Darvish's are also the same ones who want to hand a blank check to Castellanos.
    Kris Bryant isn't holding a grudge.  Stop paying attention to the media.  Everyone in sportstalk wants soooooooooooooo badly for the Cubs to trade KB and that's all it is. Media persuasion.  The grievance filed is to set precedent for future handling or similar situations and to possibly change the rule to favor the players more in a futue CBA.
    The biggest point in my post was: as the winter meetings kick off, the Cubs have been in talks with Josh Lindblom. And he appears to be too expensive for them as they are shedding payroll. Josh Lindblom everyone. Who the fuck is that and how fucking alarming is it that they cannot afford him?

Now. Into the meetings, and the only rumors I have heard are still related to KB. Quite frustrating. 

But I remember that unseasonably warm evening in Cleveland in November of 2016. Can't take that away from me!
    Seeing report that Hoyer mentioned they are not considering anything less than absurdity for KB and that Willson is pretty much off the table.
    Seeing report that Hoyer mentioned they are not considering anything less than absurdity for KB and that Willson is pretty much off the table.
    ^^^makes me happy. Who reported that?
    Cubs currently not willing to extend Anthony Rizzo. May not mean much, but I'd think he'd be the guy they would want to lock up right behind Baez.
    ^^^makes me happy. Who reported that?
    Someone posted a link on reddit yesterday.  I'll see if I can find it again, but I believe it was reported by Jeff Passan by way of some other reporter who spoke to Hoyer.
    Cubs currently not willing to extend Anthony Rizzo. May not mean much, but I'd think he'd be the guy they would want to lock up right behind Baez.
    I really don't get the urgency to extend Baez over Bryant or Rizzo.  I really wish it was Baez in the media trade rumor concoctions instead of Bryant.  Don't get me wrong, I like Javy, but I wouldn't miss him or his absoulute lack of any plate discipline whatsoever.  If I were an opposing pitcher facing Baez, I'd never throw a pitch anywhere near the damn strike zone.  This is not the guy you build your franchise around.  Rizzo & Bryant are.
    I really don't get the urgency to extend Baez over Bryant or Rizzo.  I really wish it was Baez in the media trade rumor concoctions instead of Bryant.  Don't get me wrong, I like Javy, but I wouldn't miss him or his absoulute lack of any plate discipline whatsoever.  If I were an opposing pitcher facing Baez, I'd never throw a pitch anywhere near the damn strike zone.  This is not the guy you build your franchise around.  Rizzo & Bryant are.
    +1 - I don't need to add anything to this. 
    I know this is not even a discussion, but if Rizzo went, I'd disown the team.  He's the face of the franchise and needs to retire a Cub someday.  Favorite modern day Cub by a long shot.
    I don't think Rizzo is going anywhere.  They're just not discussing an extension *at this time.*  From what I understand, it was Rizzo's agent who ran his mouth and now the media is gonna spin it into the Cubs not wanting Rizzo long term or some dumb clickbait bullshit like all the Bryant trade "rumors."  Hoyer explained in another interview that the Cubs love Anthony, and he loves the Cubs and both parties want nothing more than to be life partners. They've had discussions but haven't come close on length of the contract. It'll all work out. Just not this offseason.  They have two full seasons to figure it out still.
    Still so quiet on the Cubs front. This offseason is more bizarre than the last. I am so annoyed with the talk that they need to "blow it up" or "reload". Now, soend the money more efficiently, I agree with. 

Whatever. 2016 was worth it. 
    Still so quiet on the Cubs front. This offseason is more bizarre than the last. I am so annoyed with the talk that they need to "blow it up" or "reload". Now, soend the money more efficiently, I agree with. 

Agree.  The rebuild talk is getting on my damn nerves.  (he said, wearing his 2016 World Series Champions shirt where the gold lettering has turned green like ivy).
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383

Agree.  The rebuild talk is getting on my damn nerves.  (he said, wearing his 2016 World Series Champions shirt where the gold lettering has turned green like ivy).
    when I go for a Worlds Champs shirt, I have to decide on which of the three years I want.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited January 2020
    Wobbie said:

when I go for a Worlds Champs shirt, I have to decide on which of the three years I want.
    What? DId you throw your cheating Astros shirt away?
    Steven Souza and Jeremy Jeffressin less than 12 hours?!?!?! It's like Christmas! :monkey: