The Golf Thread

Comments

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Reed is such a scum bucket 
    That was a nice levelling the sand move. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Tiger playing well again this week.  2020 gonna be a big year.
    edited December 2019
    Anyone golfed in Ireland before?   I’m planning a six day trip there in July ahead of some Pearl Jam shows.   I’d be interested in hearing if some have played any “hidden gems”.  Pretty much every “famous” course is going to run $280 - $400 a round.  I’m not good enough to pay that 8 or 9 times in a week.   I’m going solo on this part of the trip so not using a travel company.  It seems daunting as tee times at some places are already filling up and you have to pre-pay.  

I’m hoping to be disciplined over the next six months and practice more and stick to lessons.  I don’t want to go over there and lose 10 balls a round in the tall grass.   Have a 12 handicap right now but will be excited to break 100 at these courses.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Anyone golfed in Ireland before?   I’m planning a six day trip there in July ahead of some Pearl Jam shows.   I’d be interested in hearing if some have played any “hidden gems”.  Pretty much every “famous” course is going to run $280 - $400 a round.  I’m not good enough to pay that 8 or 9 times in a week.   I’m going solo on this part of the trip so not using a travel company.  It seems daunting as tee times at some places are already filling up and you have to pre-pay.  

I’m hoping to be disciplined over the next six months and practice more and stick to lessons.  I don’t want to go over there and lose 10 balls a round in the tall grass.   Have a 12 handicap right now but will be excited to break 100 at these courses.  
    No laying up just did tourist sauce in Ireland. Check it out. Time commitment but can get to see some of the courses in a cool way. Gotta play lahinch. 

Think that Eddie dude lives in Ireland. He can probably give some advice 

No laying up just did tourist sauce in Ireland. Check it out. Time commitment but can get to see some of the courses in a cool way. Gotta play lahinch. 

Thanks.  I will check that out!   Lahinch is on the list.  I'm calling Royal County Down tomorrow to see if I can get a tee time.  Looking at doing these five: Portmarnock Golf Club, Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, and either Royal County Down or Royal Portrush.  Figure I'll get these anchor courses booked now and then sprinkle in some affordable courses or tourist stuff around it if I'm sucking it up on the golf course.

Have you seen Old Head?  It is insane.  Also insanely priced.  Adare Manor is hosting the 2026 Ryder Cup but again, like $450. 

Thanks.  I will check that out!   Lahinch is on the list.  I'm calling Royal County Down tomorrow to see if I can get a tee time.  Looking at doing these five: Portmarnock Golf Club, Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch, and either Royal County Down or Royal Portrush.  Figure I'll get these anchor courses booked now and then sprinkle in some affordable courses or tourist stuff around it if I'm sucking it up on the golf course.

Have you seen Old Head?  It is insane.  Also insanely priced.  Adare Manor is hosting the 2026 Ryder Cup but again, like $450. 

Dude, the no laying up guys  played all these courses. Definitely check that out. 

Adare manor looks soooooooo nice and fancy but not really what I think of when I thin Irish golf
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited December 2019

What's up guys! Yeah, I live over here.
    I'll help any way I can. 
    How long are you planning to be in Ireland? It's a small country but the infrastructure is still basic and travelling by car can take a lot of time.
    That Tralee, Ballybunion, Lahinch run would be easy as they're all relatively close to each other on the west coast. Portrush is amazing but literally in the middle of nowhere.
    There are also some under the radar courses that will cost you half the price but are top notch links courses. Co Sligo is often overlooked but has at least 4 or 5 amazing courses. Rosses Point, Enniscrone, Sligo Golf Club come to mind. Strandhill as well. And they wouldn't be far from Portrush. Also check out Connemara Golf Links in Co Galway.  Links course, and again, half the price.
    If you have the bucks, play Adare. I haven't and don't intend to only because of the price and the state of my game. It's a parkland course but probably one of the best maintained courses in the world. I know somebody who played it and they said the tee boxes are better than 90% of the greens they've ever been on. But the price is crazy. Think it's 1500 for the four ball and you have to pay for a caddy as well. 

Feel free to hit me up with any questions.

Edit: Just saw your original post. 6 days is tight but doable. You'll have to consider where you're flying in and out of.
    Post edited by eddiec on
    Thanks for the advice!  I'll send you a pm.    I got my tee time booked for Royal County Down so that is exciting.

The No Laying Up stuff is great. Thanks for the recommendation.   Got the last available tee time the week (at least that is what I was told) at Royal County Down!  It will be perfect timing if no flight delays.  Now I have 6 months to learn how to golf!

The No Laying Up stuff is great. Thanks for the recommendation.   Got the last available tee time the week (at least that is what I was told) at Royal County Down!  It will be perfect timing if no flight delays.  Now I have 6 months to learn how to golf!

Yeah man. It’s good stuff. The tourist sauce series gets a little slow for me and I get jealous seeing a bunch of buddies travel the world playing golf for work. Lol.

The strapped series is my favorite. The two guys, randy and Neil go to a city and play a few rounds on a limited budget. It’s fun stuff 
    Interesting.  I'll check out the strapped series.  We all can't be sponsored by Callaway Golf.
    Interesting.  I'll check out the strapped series.  We all can't be sponsored by Callaway Golf.
    For real. Wtf!
    Also, extremely excited for the presidents cup. A top course in the world I have barely seen, supposed to be on of mckenzies best, and not target golf, oh and with the reed drama. Bring it on
    Reed is good for golf.  Needs a villain. The course seems to be well liked by everyone.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Also, extremely excited for the presidents cup. A top course in the world I have barely seen, supposed to be on of mckenzies best, and not target golf, oh and with the reed drama. Bring it on
    Yep.  Like the 4 day format for President's Cup....kinda wish they would switch to that for the Ryder Cup.  TV times aren't too bad considering it's in Australia....a little late but at least it's not the middle of the night where I'm definitely not going to be up watching it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Reed is good for golf.  Needs a villain. The course seems to be well liked by everyone.
    Totally agree

Little prime time golf tonight-love it!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    This is so f'ing cool.  Gonna be some awesome shots.

Tiger!!
    5 birdies 
    edited December 2019
    Lol at that dj drive 

lololol when you hit it to 3 feet in a par 4 and miss the putt 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    tiger is such a scum bucket 

fixed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Can’t make a putt 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Not the best of starts...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Do I want the Americans to lose? No, but would a little presidents cup chaos be fun? Yep 
    Lol at that dj drive 

lololol when you hit it to 3 feet in a par 4 and miss the putt 
    That drive was insane.  Can't believe he missed the putt. 

Those greens are brutal out there...so fast.
    This course is incredible.

US is getting smoked 
    Oh shit they might actually lose.

The US is fat and happy.  They play only courses that they have approved the setup for during the PGA tour.  They just don't have any heart in team competitions.  A few might. 

The US is fat and happy.  They play only courses that they have approved the setup for during the PGA tour.  They just don't have any heart in team competitions.  A few might. 

I just don’t think many of them can play strategic golf. You see it in the opens and team events when it’s not bomb and gouge. They can’t play golf on the ground 
    edited December 2019
    Tiger is the only one that can play strategic golf and he’s the best iron player ever