2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2019
    :lol:

I loved Coach's Corner as a kid.  Always entertaining.  As I grew older I learned to tune much of it out.  Grapes is a classic and the sport can move on.
    I will give him this -- he stood by his statement and didn't punk out and cry 'misunderstood' or some silliness.  He owned it all the way to the door. 
    Always annoyed the piss out of me. I always thought he was an asshole. Now he's a confirmed asshole. Seeing as how he owns his assholery, hopefully, he'll take it to his grave sooner rather than later.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:

I loved Coach's Corner as a kid.  Always entertaining.  As I grew older I learned to tune much of it out.  Grapes is a classic and the sport can move on.
    I will give him this -- he stood by his statement and didn't punk out and cry 'misunderstood' or some silliness.  He owned it all the way to the door. 
    Always annoyed the piss out of me. I always thought he was an asshole. Now he's a confirmed asshole. Seeing as how he owns his assholery, hopefully, he'll take it to his grave sooner rather than later.
    :lol:.    
    Yeah, he is pretty old, as are his views on many things.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I would agree with that. I was kind of impressed with his "I'm not apologizing, i meant what I said". even though he did say he didn't mean it the way people took it, why not just say that? and what could he have possibly meant other than how everyone is taking it? he wasn't complaining about Australian immigrants, as far as anyone can tell. And I don't think we got a whole lot of white refugees, either. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:

:lol:.    
    Yeah, he is pretty old, as are his views on many things.
    The sooner those "pretty old" people with their "pretty old" views shuffle off this mortal coil the better.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    "controversial". nice way of saying bigoted asshole. 
    For someone who claims to have me on ignore you are are doing a lousy job of using that feature...LMFAO.  this from a defender of PM blackface...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    "controversial". nice way of saying bigoted asshole. 
    For someone who claims to have me on ignore you are are doing a lousy job of using that feature...LMFAO.  this from a defender of PM blackface...
    for someone who hated trudeau one day, loved him the next, then hated him again the next, and then I asked you about, and got all pissy pants claiming you are allowed to change your mind, that sure is rich. 

Yes, I utilize the ignore feature. occasionally I unhide comments to see what is being said. that's part of the feature. 

and I keep seeing this bullshit false equivalency between trudeau and cherry. there isn't an ounce is similarity there.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• fifefife Posts: 3,327

how do you feel now that he said that he should have not said "you people" and infact did say that the quote was misunderstood and that he meat everyone? 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    fife said:

how do you feel now that he said that he should have not said "you people" and infact did say that the quote was misunderstood and that he meat everyone? 

That he has probably had this coming and can go away now with the rest of the dinosaurs.
    There are lots of people in the same boat they just have yet to slip up and let our how they feel in public lately.
    fife said:

he's trying to backtrack on the fact that everyone is focusing on the wrong part of the quote. the "you people" on its own isn't the real issue. the full quote is:

“You people ... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”

as you can see, if he had simply changed "you people" to "everyone", the meaning and intent of his words remain the same. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

The greatest defence to ever play the game, Bobby Orr is in Don Cherry’s corner.  Go look it up.  None of you know Cherry.  And he is not a hockey analyst, his show was more options about the game.   He was originally a booth analyst and was removed and the birth of coaches corner came from that.

it only became a bigger story than it needed to be because of the bought and paid liberal media in Canada.  

I like Don and always will.  Of course I’m not part of easily offended fake outrage crowd...

The PM of Canada has blackface photos and videos of him surface and he fet re-elected. Don Cherry uses poor choice of words and gets fired...but not really.  Cherry could of kept his job if he read a prepared statement but choose not to.  Thinking Sportsnet really cared is laughable.  Fuck they didn’t do shit until Sunday.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    who gives a fuck if one of the best players ever is defending cherry? he's a racist POS and he always has been. he got fired because he refused to apologize because he meant what he said. props to him for sticking to his guns. but good riddance. out with the old, in with the new. 

you don't know cherry any better or worse than the rest of us. so your point is meaningless. 

fake outrage crowd. gimme a fucking break. translation: you agree with him. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Not sure if the argument that someone else has racist shit in their past is a good one...but you certainly can support Grapes. 
    He was boorish, it was his shtick.  This meant that sooner or later he was going to step in it.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I could see both sides on this.  

Im disappointed.  I like Cherry.  Brings back lots of memories of many a saturday night.  I realize he has some boorish and borderline racist tendencies, but i see it more as a grandparent.  From a different era, spews something ill-conceived from time to time, but we love him anyway.

Sportsnet has probably wanted to turf cherry for awhile.  They gave him an opportunity to apologize, cherry wouldnt and thats that.  Kind of a crummy end to a classic sports broadcasting staple.  Make room for some boring "analyst" who is captain obvious and says only positive things about every player, team, the nhl, and everyone watching
    MayDay10 said:

Im disappointed.  I like Cherry.  Brings back lots of memories of many a saturday night.  I realize he has some boorish and borderline racist tendencies, but i see it more as a grandparent.  From a different era, spews something ill-conceived from time to time, but we love him anyway.

Sportsnet has probably wanted to turf cherry for awhile.  They gave him an opportunity to apologize, cherry wouldnt and thats that.  Kind of a crummy end to a classic sports broadcasting staple.  Make room for some boring "analyst" who is captain obvious and says only positive things about every player, team, the nhl, and everyone watching
    I occasionally found myself laughing at some of the stupid shit he'd say, but more often, it was McLean's dry comebacks that would give me the most to laugh about. 

in the last few years half the time you couldn't even understand what the hell he was saying. just stopping and starting and nonsense. 

"LISTEN KIDS, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    fife said:

he's trying to backtrack on the fact that everyone is focusing on the wrong part of the quote. the "you people" on its own isn't the real issue. the full quote is:

“You people ... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey,” Cherry said. “At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life, that you enjoy in Canada.”

as you can see, if he had simply changed "you people" to "everyone", the meaning and intent of his words remain the same. 
    maybe i'm just crazy and not 'woke' enough but i don't see what he said as really being all that bad in the grand scheme of things. I mean it was remembrance day wasn't it?    hasn't he always been a blowhard and straddled the line between right and wrong - so why this time was it all of a sudden such a big deal?

and honestly who loves bagged milk? wtf is up with that Canada?
    pjhawks said:
    fife said:

maybe i'm just crazy and not 'woke' enough but i don't see what he said as really being all that bad in the grand scheme of things. I mean it was remembrance day wasn't it?    hasn't he always been a blowhard and straddled the line between right and wrong - so why this time was it all of a sudden such a big deal?

I'm not "woke" either. I find many of these stupid terms to be, well, stupid. Like "ok boomer". STFU.

He singled out new immigrants and criticized them en masse without so much as a glimmer of evidence of what he was saying was actually true. that's called discrimination. yes, he has always been a blowhard. not always racist, but he's just an idiot who says stupid shit. it was more than time for him to go. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    fife said:

I'm not "woke" either. I find many of these stupid terms to be, well, stupid. Like "ok boomer". STFU.

He singled out new immigrants and criticized them en masse without so much as a glimmer of evidence of what he was saying was actually true. that's called discrimination. yes, he has always been a blowhard. not always racist, but he's just an idiot who says stupid shit. it was more than time for him to go. 
    ok boomer is so dumb. i guess it's just millenials way of getting back at people shitting on them all the time.
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    fife said:

ok boomer is so dumb. i guess it's just millenials way of getting back at people shitting on them all the time.
    that's exactly the explanation I saw someone give as a justification for it on twitter just yesterday. Someone ok boomer'd me. I'm like, I'm gen x, asshole, and regardless, it's a stupid saying. it's lazy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think it is kind of funny.  I agree, though, it is misapplied for X-ers like us. 
    I actually love “OK, Boomer.”

It’s their way of saying, “As the generation most responsible for making this giant fucking mess that we are now tasked with cleaning up, your bullshit voice no longer matters.”

Or as one of my favorite Boomers put it. 
    Come mothers and fathers
    Throughout the land
    And don’t criticize
    What you can’t understand
    Your sons and your daughters
    Are beyond your command
    Your old road is rapidly agin’
    Please get out of the new one if you can’t lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin’
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I know in Canada 🇨🇦 it’s estimated that boomers are going to be leaving their off off springs billions.  I hope those so opposed to the boomers donate their inheritance to charity...but since it’s the millennials who want it all, including guaranteed income that won’t happen.

I’m  not a boomer... y sister is and she is not selfish and unlike some of you we both decided not to breed because the world has too many people,..

this place is full of shit...

Give Peas A Chance…

:yin_yang:

Give Peas A Chance…
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    MayDay10 said:

Agree,  Saturday night will never be the same for me.

As for Ron Mclean, he sucks- not backing Don when needed.  Briefly seen his bit in the first intermission- and as usual it turned out to be the Ron Mclean hour... joke.  Orr was right.

And good ol sportsnet… of course they wanted him out.  Don has been blasting everyone/anyone for years- nothing new.  When it comes to supporting our Veterans, Police, and Fire Departments,  and how passionate he has been in this area, why else would anything change??   

I must add, that I found it disgusting to see everyone in the broadcast community jump on the band wagon and trash this man for trying to do overall good-regardless of the method/means.    He has since come out and stated that wrong words were used, should have been "everyone" Vs " you people".   When you factor in that this is a live broadcast, heated passion, and I know its wrong to do so, his age, the media and society jumped too quickly to label this poor man.

And best of all, this was the news everyone was hit with on the 11th.  Slow news day - So this is what TSN/Sportsnet highlighted the whole day.  I laughed when I saw of the female broadcasters from Sportsnet say they were sorry to be  discussing it on this day.... what a joke.  Basically trashing the man further and destroying the work he did for these groups- justifying their position on a day of remembrance.

Everyone in their life has a breakdown moment in which they wish to take back, and Im sure this is his.  But to destroy this mans reputation and career/contribution he has given Canada/hockey is absolutely disgusting.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    you all or everyone still think he got a raw deal?

https://twitter.com/NathanCaranci/status/1195090217348345867/video/1
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and once again, it wasn't "you people" vs "everyone". substitute "everyone" for "you people" in his rant and he's still bitching about people coming to "our country" and "enjoying our milk and honey". 

in the clip I just posted he's what, in his 50's? is it still excusable because now it's the rantings of a middle aged man? this is not an isolated incident. 

guy's always been a fucking racist. he admits right there in the clip that he's a nationalist. indefensible. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Babs down.  Repeat, Babs down.
    There is an opening on Sportsnet...he can join Ron and have coaches corner 2.0

Grapes has a podcast.  I knew he'd resurface somehow.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Babcock getting fired isnt much of a surprise, but maybe this early is.  

Good move by the Leafs.  This is the year they need to go for it.  Cap crunch is going to get even tougher after this season with 1 defenseman under contract
    ^^^I agree.  He did not win a playoff series in his time with Leafs.  It was time for them to part ways.
    Give Peas A Chance…