What book are you reading?

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited October 2019
    Im reading Gardens of the Moon in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Although I wasn't a big fan of the movie and although the writing is really not that good, I'm still fairly well engrossed in the interesting adventure/ true story book Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrar:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• The Celestine Prophecy

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2019
    I haven't started it yet, but just bought Fahrenheit 451 (60th Anniversary edition with bonus material), and am excited to finally read it.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

dankind said:
    Here we go again. 

I had a brief period between the last book and Patti Smith’s new book on Tuesday. I could’ve slowed my pace on the last one, I suppose. 

Then again, the pull toward this sublime tome is difficult to resist. Ishmael has the sea; I have the book he narrates. 

Call me Daniel. 
    Ha.  Awesome post.

Been reading business or exercise books, but did read this one a few weeks ago:
    Enjoyed it.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I bought a Kindle and some Kindle books.
    Anyone here use a Kindle?
    Yes. Brian hates this I know, but I love my kindle, particularly for travel. I never run out of reading material and no longer have to pack several bulky novels when I go on vacation. My current kindle (second one for me) has great battery life too. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Yes. Brian hates this I know, but I love my kindle, particularly for travel. I never run out of reading material and no longer have to pack several bulky novels when I go on vacation. My current kindle (second one for me) has great battery life too. 
    LOL.

I actually do understand the advantage of Kindle for travel.  Personally, I would not own one even if I traveled much because I find it hard on my eyes to read on a computer or electronic device for very long, but I do get why they are so well like for use with travel.  My biggest "hate" for them would actually be more related to buying the device itself and the downloads themselves from that most dreaded of outfits known as Amazon.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    LOL.

I actually do understand the advantage of Kindle for travel.  Personally, I would not own one even if I traveled much because I find it hard on my eyes to read on a computer or electronic device for very long, but I do get why they are so well like for use with travel.  My biggest "hate" for them would actually be more related to buying the device itself and the downloads themselves from that most dreaded of outfits known as Amazon.
    Have you ever read anything on a kindle, Brian? It’s a very different experience than reading on a computer or tablet. I find it very easy on the eyes, so to speak. It’s got a very restful screen. 

Can’t really disagree on Amazon. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven't started it yet, but just bought Fahrenheit 451 (60th Anniversary edition with bonus material), and am excited to finally read it.

In my top five!!..if you like it, check also  François Truffaut's movie..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    Just finished  up You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney a week ago. Really good book. Reading Doctor Sleep now and enjoying it
    Reading Malcolm Gladwell’s Talking to Strangers. The content is interesting but this is the first Gladwell book I’ve read and I can’t say I love the writing style. 
  • riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    SImultaneously reading several right now!

Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • What did he do with the money he made from book sales? Or do I need to read it to find out how he can breath without earning or spending any money?

brianlux said:
    Next to Warren Zanes' Petty, this is the best book I've read this year:

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Anyone else read this type of stuff?

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
    brianlux said:
    LOL.

Have you ever read anything on a kindle, Brian? It’s a very different experience than reading on a computer or tablet. I find it very easy on the eyes, so to speak. It’s got a very restful screen. 

Can’t really disagree on Amazon. 
    Not much.  I mean, I've had people show me their Kindle and read a paragraph or two.  I wasn't impressed, but how it would feel after several pages?  I honestly don't know.

But then there is one minor detail to factor in here:  Why would I need a kindle when there are about 250 to 300 K books in my wife's store and about 15,000 of them here at home at my disposal?  :lol: 

Despite pressing on to about 1/3 of the way through, I gave up on Seven Years in Tibet. How that got chosen to be made into a movie staring a popular actor is beyond me.

So now I'm giving this one a shot. Not my favorite topic but it's Krakauer so it can't be bad!

edited November 2019
    I thought that was a very good/disturbing read.
    Hope you like it!
    I thought that was a very good/disturbing read.
    Hope you like it!
    So far, yes, and learning a lot, that's for sure.  And I'm a big Krakauer fan- his writing style always pulls me right in.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Good one!  ^^
    dankind said:

Sometimes I wish I were more into sci-fi/fantasy.  I'm told Gaiman is a damn good writer!

brianlux said:
    dankind said:

Sometimes I wish I were more into sci-fi/fantasy.  I'm told Gaiman is a damn good writer!
    Give American Gods a try. That one is a page turner, no matter what you like. 

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is another one—and it’s very short, less than 200 pages. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Ocean is such an amazing read.  He really is a special writer.

I have a singed copy of AG that an Awesome person here gifted to me.  :)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    brianlux said:
    Despite pressing on to about 1/3 of the way through, I gave up on Seven Years in Tibet. How that got chosen to be made into a movie staring a popular actor is beyond me.

So now I'm giving this one a shot. Not my favorite topic but it's Krakauer so it can't be bad!

it’s great. one of the brothers passed away in prison a couple of days ago.

for me, give me the dirt!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

• Still this one. read 50 pages. 

And also:

@spiri@Spiritual_Chaos is this your first time reading The Dark Knight?  I remember when this first came out and Miller turned the comics world upside down and we got to see some truly great writing in comics going forward.

What did you think?

Mind you this was groundbreaking 30 years ago.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Great cover!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Ocean is such an amazing read.  He really is a special writer.

I have a singed copy of AG that an Awesome person here gifted to me.  :)

Ocean is a great book. I always wish his stories were a bit longer because I love them so much.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Thankful for this thread for turning me on to Neil Gaiman. Happened upon the following at a second-hand shop. Fantastic! Read it in one sitting.