Things that give you hope.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
Earlier today, I started thinking about some things that give me reason to feel hopeful.  I thought about starting this thread earlier but held back because every time I tried to word it, everything I could think of sounded corny, too touchy-feely, overly sentimental, etc.  But what the heck.  It's kind of like "What's so funny about peace love and understanding anyway?"  Beside, in times like these, finding something to feel hopeful about can't hurt, right?

So if you have something at the moment that really inspires you to feel hopeful, please share it with us here.  On the other hand, if you're feeling cynical, hopeless, or just plain pissed off, that's cool and I get it, but maybe save that some someplace else?  Cool.

Two things gave me reasons to feel hopeful today.  The first is this amazing young lady and all those other kids out there like her who are standing up and asking us to work on combating climate change.  Miss Greta Thunberg:

And secondly, a news source I find both inspiring as well as challenging, The Guardian:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Our very own ElwayVedder and IamTom

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    "Hope Is Found Here"

in Alcoholics Anonymous
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Brian, I wanted to post this story but couldn’t find a prison reform thread to post it in, but the fact that there are people focusing their careers on prison reform gives me hope. Plus, I thought you would be interested in it, since it references people you have mentioned before like Bill Ayers and the Weather Underground. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/us/chesa-boudin-san-francisco-da.amp.html
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Brian, I wanted to post this story but couldn’t find a prison reform thread to post it in, but the fact that there are people focusing their careers on prison reform gives me hope. Plus, I thought you would be interested in it, since it references people you have mentioned before like Bill Ayers and the Weather Underground. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/us/chesa-boudin-san-francisco-da.amp.html
    This is great.  I hope we'll here more about what Boudin would like to see done to increase reform rather that simply cram more people in prisons.  Thanks for posting it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    My mom's cat took a poop in her toilet.  Outta nowhere!  No training, cat just pooped in the toilet.  There is hope.
    Jason P said:
    My mom's cat took a poop in her toilet.  Outta nowhere!  No training, cat just pooped in the toilet.  There is hope.
    You're sense of humor is big time source of hope, Jason.  :smiley:

Kudos to the cat!  Man, I wish mine would do that!

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,478
    Jason P said:
    But did the cat flush and close the lid?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,813
    Jason P said:
    That’s not hope for me...it’s cats getting on step closer to taking the world over.  Frightening.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    I want so badly to have more hope for the future.  It seems that we are moving into a time of increased despair.  I say "increased" because I became aware of this movement many years ago when a friend in the mid 70's told me we were living in the age of anxiety.    Then some years later I read the phrase "antidote to despair" in either an Edward Abbey or a Wendell Berry book.  Around that same time, in 1983, Joan Baez was quoted as saying "Action is the antidote to despair.".  There is the hope and the answer.

• brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

I'm wondering if the reason my cats like to come around me when I'm in there is because they want to try out the toilet?  Lid stays down all the time.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    brianlux said:
    Jason P said:

I'm wondering if the reason my cats like to come around me when I'm in there is because they want to try out the toilet?  Lid stays down all the time.
    My cat drinks out of the toilet.  Sometimes not too long after I have destroyed it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    I want so badly to have more hope for the future.  It seems that we are moving into a time of increased despair.  I say "increased" because I became aware of this movement many years ago when a friend in the mid 70's told me we were living in the age of anxiety.    Then some years later I read the phrase "antidote to despair" in either an Edward Abbey or a Wendell Berry book.  Around that same time, in 1983, Joan Baez was quoted as saying "Action is the antidote to despair.".  There is the hope and the answer.
    May I suggest turn off the news and tune out of politics.  I started working the graveyard shift a few months back and do not have time for the news (maybe the evening news), and I purposely have no 24 hours news channels, plus I am not on the computer very much.  It's kind of nice not listening to these talking heads and newsreaders anymore.  Really, what changes if I am a little uninformed, except I am much happier and could not think of a better time to be alive.  Of course, I just got notified that my OT shift was cancelled so I get a 2 day weekend for the 1st time in 6 weeks...or it could be the Cannabis talking.  What the fuck do I know?  LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    May I suggest turn off the news and tune out of politics.  I started working the graveyard shift a few months back and do not have time for the news (maybe the evening news), and I purposely have no 24 hours news channels, plus I am not on the computer very much.  It's kind of nice not listening to these talking heads and newsreaders anymore.  Really, what changes if I am a little uninformed, except I am much happier and could not think of a better time to be alive.  Of course, I just got notified that my OT shift was cancelled so I get a 2 day weekend for the 1st time in 6 weeks...or it could be the Cannabis talking.  What the fuck do I know?  LOL
    It's definitely a good idea to keep a balance.  I admit, there are time when I think, "Why do I bother?", but it's in my nature to want to know what's going on in the world.  I pretty much limit my time keeping up with "the news" but am skeptical of pretty much everything I read, look for the more reliable "news" sources like The Guardian, and always read with a critical eye.

As for politics- so much of that now is a joke.  I'm more concerned with what naturalists, scientists, and well-informed, intelligent writers are up to. 

Kudos for you being able to handle graveyard shift.  I did it for 3 months in 1969 and one full year in the mid 70's.  I'm a bit of a night owl but even when I was younger after 2 or 3 or maybe 4 AM I crashed, and now after midnight or 1 or 2 AM, I'm done.  Never did well on graveyard. 

Yesterday while walking down my driveway I noticed a strange black mop-like think on my roof ... upon closer inspection it was discovered to be a furry black squirrel.  We locked eyes.  It held strategic advantage with the high ground.  The squirrel had two options ... A) high-tail over the pitch of the roof and escape to freedom while I retire to my recliner in defeat or B) look at me with a stupid expression and go full shane mcmahon from the top of the the roof to the ground.  The squirrel chose option B.  

Just launched itself into the air and did a 15 foot belly flop onto the grass and made a funny squeaky toy sound when it landed.  Then it just ran off and I retired to my recliner quite delighted.  
    Jason P said:
    Yesterday while walking down my driveway I noticed a strange black mop-like think on my roof ... upon closer inspection it was discovered to be a furry black squirrel.  We locked eyes.  It held strategic advantage with the high ground.  The squirrel had two options ... A) high-tail over the pitch of the roof and escape to freedom while I retire to my recliner in defeat or B) look at me with a stupid expression and go full shane mcmahon from the top of the the roof to the ground.  The squirrel chose option B.  

Just launched itself into the air and did a 15 foot belly flop onto the grass and made a funny squeaky toy sound when it landed.  Then it just ran off and I retired to my recliner quite delighted.  
    LOL, cool story! 

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Things that give me hope ... I made it through Thanksgiving week with no one bringing up politics once!  there is still hope ...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    The younger generation is much more tolerant of people that our generations have been.

hearing a child laugh or giggle is still one of the greatest things in the world and makes me smile each time I hear them whether I know them or not.

you can still find music that suits your mood regardless of how you feel in that moment

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    The announcement of the 2020 Europe Tour! Hopefully the boys will tour the USA before the 2020 election. 
    The announcement of the 2020 Europe Tour! Hopefully the boys will tour the USA before the 2020 election. 
    That would be cool!

By the way, love that avatar of yours.  When I view it on a thread on my laptop,it looks like a little golden monkey bent at the waist.  When I click on it, then I can see that it's molten metal being poured into a guitar shaped mold.  Cool!

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    Thanks Brian! My avatar is the 2013 Pittsburgh poster.
    Thanks Brian! My avatar is the 2013 Pittsburgh poster.
    Nice!

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    When I listen to the young people around me.
    Now that Johnson has won for his Brexit plans and Trump, Erdogan and Putin are everywhere, these young people have just had enough of it. Many of them are starting to become politically involved in our community and don't want to wait any longer to get ahead.
    Perhaps this Greta sentiment has affected it, but it is largely uncertainty in all areas and the constant inactivity of politicians that drives young people.

That gives me hope!
    kce8 said:
    When I listen to the young people around me.
    Now that Johnson has won for his Brexit plans and Trump, Erdogan and Putin are everywhere, these young people have just had enough of it. Many of them are starting to become politically involved in our community and don't want to wait any longer to get ahead.
    Perhaps this Greta sentiment has affected it, but it is largely uncertainty in all areas and the constant inactivity of politicians that drives young people.

That gives me hope!

Hope!  Ahhh, just the word I needed to hear today, kce.  Thanks!  :hug:

• kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Me too Brian! :hug:
  • Thank you for sharing!!