What matters more to you: politics, social issues, gender issues or environment?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
There are so many issues facing us today.  I'm curious about how they are perceived as most important.  As a way of increasing likelihood of a more accurate poll, I've made it an anonymous one, so no need to be anything but honest in your choice.  Hopefully, anyone marking "non-of the above" will do so honestly for the sake of thread integrity.

I'm not doing this to berate any who does not agree with my choice (environment, of course), but I am curious about how these issues stack up against each other.  Feel free to divulge your answer or keep it to yourself, but please be respectful toward those who see things differently from you (i.e. the old discuss vs argue issue).  Thanks for participating. 
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What matters more to you: politics, social issues, gender issues or environment? 27 votes

Politics
22% 6 votes
Social Issues
22% 6 votes
Gender Issues
0% 0 votes
Environment
44% 12 votes
None of the above
11% 3 votes

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Seems like the other issues, albeit slowly, are progressing, or trending in the right direction (unless Pence wins in 2020....that piece of shit). Whereas, over the past few years, I have developed a deep fondness for the beauty of nature (as referenced in my US NP thread). The thing is, as slowly as other issues may be coming along, at least they are coming along. For nature, once it's gone...

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not sure I could encapsulate one over another, or others.  And I'd need more clarification - which societal or gender issues?

I'm sorry, but it's like when I'm at the checkout line and am offered to donate X amount for mental health issues.  Too broad a term for me.

I wouldn't vote "none of the above" - I'm not an overly-selfish asshole with no concern about anything.

Hope that helps ;)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    hedonist said:
    I'm not sure I could encapsulate one over another, or others.  And I'd need more clarification - which societal or gender issues?

I'm sorry, but it's like when I'm at the checkout line and am offered to donate X amount for mental health issues.  Too broad a term for me.

I wouldn't vote "none of the above" - I'm not an overly-selfish asshole with no concern about anything.

Hope that helps ;)
    Thanks for asking for clarification, Hedo.

I think it would be unfair to gender issues to break them down because the program here limits the number of choices.  I personally know people who would chose gender issues based on their particular situation (gay, lesbian, bi, transsexual).

Same with societal issues: poverty, crime, racism, xenophobia, nationalism, etc.

Sorry, I know that's not much help. 
    hide 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    easy answer. environment. all the others don't have an expiration date. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

easy answer. environment. all the others don't have an expiration date
    Well said!

• I chose Politics because I think politics encompass all the issues. 

But my number one in the categories is environmental for sure. I just hope it’s not too late.  

Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    I chose Politics because I think politics encompass all the issues. 

But my number one in the categories is environmental for sure. I just hope it’s not too late.  

I think it's past too late to not have an increase in environmental damage but certainly not too late to move toward reducing and maybe even eventually reversing some of that damage.  I think it worth trying for anyway!

• You are so right. The pessimist in me sees the cancer spreading. The dad in me hopes we can right this ship for my daughters sake. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    You are so right. The pessimist in me sees the cancer spreading. The dad in me hopes we can right this ship for my daughters sake. 
    That's the best reason in the world to do what we can!  :smile:

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    I went with social issues and the reason I did is because I believe if you take care of those issues the rest will be taken care of by decent human beings. i believe if society is better and people feel good about themselves then our leaders will reflect society and the other issues will be better served. maybe i'm naive but i believe if you put good people into leadership positions good things will follow.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    brianlux said:
    easy answer. environment. all the others don't have an expiration date
    Well said!

If a Republican such as trump wins, what chance does the environment have?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2019
    I picked environment because of what was already said - it's most urgent for obvious reasons. But gender issues are EXTREMELY important to me as well, and I'm sorry to see that it is the only one with 0% selection here, while women's rights are currently being walked backwards by the administration in America, and it is absolutely disgusting, and also an urgent matter.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • I chose politics.  If you don't vote for the proper politician then you can fight all you want about the other issues but it won't do any good.  If the politician sucks then his platform will suck too and vice versa.
    I chose politics.  If you don't vote for the proper politician then you can fight all you want about the other issues but it won't do any good.  If the politician sucks then his platform will suck too and vice versa.
    Fair point. The options are difficult. I almost didn't answer at all because of the details some of you are bringing up. Oh well! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    Politics can mean different things to different people.

I chose it here because it's closest to what I care about right now: Not becoming an authoritarian nation.  "Issues" won't particularly interest me until we've righted that ship.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Also true... Really, while there is a fascist crazy person in office who is tearing apart environmental protections, I guess politics really is everything, and has to come before anything else. Once someone sane is in office to reinstate everything that Trump has destroyed, specific issues can come into the light again..... I want to change my vote, lol.
    Good points all around, thanks all!

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Politics for me , if we don’t change the political landscape with more moderates from both parties no social issues will change !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Politics for me , if we don’t change the political landscape with more moderates from both parties no social issues will change !
    I agree w having more even keeled people in office but the new thinking is that you need extreme thinking to make change, which is somewhat true.

Do we need people on either extremes to facilitate ideas or to actually follow through with them?

I like that they engage in conversation so you can skim off the extreme rhetoric and get down to something solid.
    Politics for me , if we don’t change the political landscape with more moderates from both parties no social issues will change !
    I agree w having more even keeled people in office but the new thinking is that you need extreme thinking to make change, which is somewhat true.

Do we need people on either extremes to facilitate ideas or to actually follow through with them?

I like that they engage in conversation so you can skim off the extreme rhetoric and get down to something solid.
    i.e. doing what makes sense.  Right on!

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    pjhawks said:
    I went with social issues and the reason I did is because I believe if you take care of those issues the rest will be taken care of by decent human beings. i believe if society is better and people feel good about themselves then our leaders will reflect society and the other issues will be better served. maybe i'm naive but i believe if you put good people into leadership positions good things will follow.
    Same choice for me and this was basically my thought process as well.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Too late for humans maybe.  I put environment but that is merely a selfish human response.  

Too late for humans maybe.  I put environment but that is merely a selfish human response.  
    It seems normal and rational to me to want to preserve the environment for our own good.  A world not suited for human habitation is surely nothing any of us wants!

But going beyond that, I hope that some day we as a species will learn to have respect for all life and work for a healthier environment for the sake of all creatures. We're part of a much bigger picture than simply our own existence.  I believe that humans seeing ourselves as a separate entity is the root cause of our continuing destructive habits toward nature.  If we could see ourselves as part of the bigger picture we would have more concern for the whole of life.   We would naturally move toward a biocentric viewpoint which is an "ethics that extends the status of moral object from human beings to all living things in nature".

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I have been hooked on YouTube videos about space and am amazed at how the earth is the way it is versus other planets.   Ultimately there are things out of our control like asteroids, earthquakes, tectonic plates, etc... but we can do better about some things.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I'm for a return to sanity.  That is probably my number one issue.  Kind of far-fetched at this point.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Oops, I forgot to vote ...

https://youtu.be/bXEglx-or6k
    Jason P said:
    I'm for a return to sanity.  That is probably my number one issue.  Kind of far-fetched at this point.

Good choice Jason!  I'm guessing that accounts for one of the three "other" votes. 

My guesses for what the others are include:

-Sex
    -Drugs
    -Rock and Roll