Pearl Jam's Gigaton

Comments

• raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    Not recording because they have finished recording? And hopefully ‘working’ as in practising the new songs live in the studio. 
    Working, don't know more. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • shecky said:
    Maybe the band is just thinking that it's better to release no album than to release a shitty one. Sort of like the old adage "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it." 
    I mean, it took them 4 years to make Lightning Bolt. It took them 5 years to make Vs, Vitalogy, and No Code combined. Just saying...
    Those were all pretty much made around the same time anyways and the creative juices were flowing.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    shecky said:
    Maybe the band is just thinking that it's better to release no album than to release a shitty one. Sort of like the old adage "Better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it." 
    I mean, it took them 4 years to make Lightning Bolt. It took them 5 years to make Vs, Vitalogy, and No Code combined. Just saying...
    Those were all pretty much made around the same time anyways and the creative juices were flowing.

They also had the record company down their throats with the record/release/tour cycle...can't make money for the label if you're sitting at home.

Now they have money, kids, age...they can afford to relax for 6-7 months after a small tour.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    shecky said:
    You can pretty much fit in Yield to the same 5 year period, from late 1992 to late 1997.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited October 2019
    If they miss deadlines, the fan base is let down. Better to keep info under wraps, finish when it is ready after so long rather than rush it for a tour like U2 did for Pop. I’m sure Eddie has had lots of conversations with artists about this and knows what he’s doing.

Imagine March 2018 went like this:

" Hey fans we're  about to rock out for some shows this year thru labor day, hope to see yall! After taking some time to wind down afterwards, we expect to spend a good amount of time writing, recording and maybe a little experimenting. We are not sure what we will end up with but hopefully its something we can share with you!"

Vs.

""Can't Deny Me" from the forthcoming Pearl Jam album."
    (These words are STILL on this website nearly 20 months later.)

I've been a fan of many bands that have gone with the first option 

Maybe I am missing something?
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    LOL :rofl: this thread and all the others like it.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Not sure if I’ve ever actually rolled on the floor laughing.  Feel like I could have gotten off the couch or chair I was in and laid down and continued to laugh but I can’t remember ever doing that.  I think I was content to stay seated
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Not sure if I’ve ever actually rolled on the floor laughing.  Feel like I could have gotten off the couch or chair I was in and laid down and continued to laugh but I can’t remember ever doing that.  I think I was content to stay seated
    You're missing out, man!
  • Not sure if I’ve ever actually rolled on the floor laughing.  Feel like I could have gotten off the couch or chair I was in and laid down and continued to laugh but I can’t remember ever doing that.  I think I was content to stay seated
    You're missing out, man!
    He is a golf clap type of guy I guess...
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I may have fallen onto a couch or something laughing but not the floor.
  • Mr. FixerMr. Fixer Posts: 572
    raindog80 said:
    Not recording, working. 

Miss Lippy's car...is green.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I may have fallen onto a couch or something laughing but not the floor.
    Pro tip: drink more and surround yourself by the most funny people you can. Eventually, you can get yourself to quite literally :rofl:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • shecky said:

They also had the record company down their throats with the record/release/tour cycle...can't make money for the label if you're sitting at home.

Now they have money, kids, age...they can afford to relax for 6-7 months after a small tour.
    Relaxing 6-7 months after a month of touring...
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    raindog80 said:
    Not recording because they have finished recording? And hopefully ‘working’ as in practising the new songs live in the studio. 
    Working, don't know more. 

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Do most bands have this level of scrutiny? I'm still waiting on Portishead LP4. PJ ain't got nothing on them. I get that people love them and want stuff, but damn, there's other shit out there to pass the time. 

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 779
    Now that Tool has a new album out the scrutiny is on everyone else haha.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • bonebone Posts: 493
    JT167846 said:
    Does anyone find it ironic though that after Tool just barely beating Chinese Democracy in terms of years between releases, GNR is likely back to number 1 for longest current waits between albums (11 years next month) for albums by bands that have remained active.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 679
    bone said:
    JT167846 said:
    Does anyone find it ironic though that after Tool just barely beating Chinese Democracy in terms of years between releases, GNR is likely back to number 1 for longest current waits between albums (11 years next month) for albums by bands that have remained active.  
    What is the criteria?  Billy Joel hasn't had an album since 1993. (For example).
  • vercemanverceman Posts: 679
    This list is crazy:. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_gaps_between_studio_albums

28 years between Eagles albums.  38 year gap for Parliament.  And they don't even hold the record!

• Two Maynard bands on that list. Even though I love the new album it could be said he’s barely on this release too. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • verceman said:

28 years between Eagles albums.  38 year gap for Parliament.  And they don't even hold the record!

Eagles broke up, to give Don a chance to drug up naked 15 years olds and other solo endeavors? Why is 28 years weird?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    verceman said:
    bone said:
    JT167846 said:
    What is the criteria?  Billy Joel hasn't had an album since 1993. (For example).

We're all better because Billy Joel hasn't released an album since 1993. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    I'd rather they make sure they button up and are happy with whatever they release.   

Some artists release every thought they have and the world is not the better for it. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

verceman said:

How the fuck did TLC release an album in 2017?  There's no L!
  • verceman said:

Don’t go chasing waterfalls. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    verceman said:

Was it called Just Sexy & Cool cause Crazy is Gone?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    verceman said:

Interesting stuff.
    Kiss as well as all 4 original members solo all appear on the list.
    The gap for APC and Tool are nearly identical.
    Chinese Democracy released on same date as Spaghetti incident 15 years later (didn't know that wonder if Axhole did it intentionally)
    And how did the world survive 36 years between William Shatner albums?
    This weekend we rock Portland
    verceman said:

Oh wow!
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale