WTF Podcast with Marc Maron

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    mickeyrat said:
    Mark Arm on thursday!!!!
    Stoked for this one.

Has anyone checked out the RSD vinyl yet? I'm really liking it. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Mark Arm on thursday!!!!
    Stoked for this one.

got it, havent listened. scored easy street and in the garage too.  6th in line and done by 805.  got IN line at 715?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Mark Arm on thursday!!!!
    Stoked for this one.

got it, havent listened. scored easy street and in the garage too.  6th in line and done by 805.  got IN line at 715?
    That's not too bad at all. I got in line at 6am (opened at 8am) and I was 25th in line. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

edited May 2019
    Duff McKagan today.

LETTERMAN NEXT THURSDAY!!!!
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    Duff McKagan today.

LETTERMAN NEXT THURSDAY!!!!
    Duff was great. I'm about hallfway through Timothy Olyphant. Also good. I'm really looking forward to hearing Letterman's interview.

www.RLMcDaniel.com

Letterman was fantastic. Marc was Marc in the opening. god he can be tiresome sometimes but he settled in with Dave.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Cant wait to listen to Letterman
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    Letterman was fantastic. Marc was Marc in the opening. god he can be tiresome sometimes but he settled in with Dave.
    Yeah, Letterman was great. Really good past 5-6 episodes. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Loved the talk with Letterman!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    The Perry Ferrell interview was a strange one.

I enjoyed the Mavis Staples one; she had a lot of great stories. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

Sean Lennon today......

mickeyrat said:
    Sean Lennon today......
    really good I thought.  has a project with Les Claypool called Claypool Lennon Delirium..... among other things.

Buddy Guy today......

mickeyrat said:
    Buddy Guy today......
    I bet he has some great stories. I can't wait to listen this weekend 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Buddy Guy today......
    I bet he has some great stories. I can't wait to listen this weekend 
    Oh it was very good. Glad Marc got to have him on. preserved now for posterity. Seems hes the only one left out of the chicago scene back when, but he makes a point of referencing all of them to keep the tradition alive....

• H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Need to give this Buddy Guy interview a listen for sure.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    Mondays with Dale Beran was really good . He wrote a book called "It Came From Something Awful" of which something awful was/is a real thing. chat room that was a precursor to the chan pages. Lays out the troll origins and why and how it proliferated to what mainstream culture now sees.  Very infomative but Marc should have le the guy speak more than he did by interupting some much.

mickeyrat said:
    Mondays with Dale Beran was really good . He wrote a book called "It Came From Something Awful" of which something awful was/is a real thing. chat room that was a precursor to the chan pages. Lays out the troll origins and why and how it proliferated to what mainstream culture now sees.  Very infomative but Marc should have le the guy speak more than he did by interupting some much.
    He talked about talking a lot on Thursday show with the actress from Vice Principals. He just gets excited. Great talk though.  
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

edited September 2019
    LukinFan said:
    mickeyrat said:
    He talked about talking a lot on Thursday show with the actress from Vice Principals. He just gets excited. Great talk though.  
    absolutely. knowing now where and how that shit came to be is important.  wanna read the book now. hope is an audiobook.

edit to add it IS an audiobook read by Dale. I use Scrib'd.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

Edward Norton today....

mickeyrat said:
    Edward Norton today....
    really really good talk

Awesome!  Looking forward to the Norton talk today. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Yeah, I am looking forward to this.  I assume there is no 25th Hour talk?  My favorite Norton movie but can't imagine Maron would talk about that much.  Regardless, big fan of the guy, so looking forward to this one.
    Yeah, I am looking forward to this.  I assume there is no 25th Hour talk?  My favorite Norton movie but can't imagine Maron would talk about that much.  Regardless, big fan of the guy, so looking forward to this one.
    not that I recall.
    this was a very broad talk. not as much about the work other than a few (american history x, fight club, a few others that were more the making of xyz and less the content of xyz) spent a fair amount of time on his new movie(directs and stars) motherless brooklyn.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2019
    One of my favorite novels of the past two decades. Will skip the film.

I like Edward Norton as an actor, but I think his outsized ego will make this one a miscarriage of execution. 

And this quote about resetting the film in the 1950s instead of the novel's 1990s is about as dumb a thing as I've ever read: "[I]f we try to make a film about the '90s in Brooklyn with guys acting like '50s gumshoes, it will feel ironic."

THE NOVEL IS LOADED WITH FUCKING IRONY!!! I know everyone interprets things differently, but missing the irony in Motherless Brooklyn is akin to missing the irony in Oedipus Rex.

Also, ever see the absolute gem that is Rian Johnson's Brick? It's called style, and you apparently have none.

EAT ME, BAILEY!!!
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    if it helps he filmed it as noir.

mickeyrat said:
    if it helps he filmed it as noir.
    Not at all. That only makes it worse.

Jonathan Lethem is a genre buster, not a genre adherent. Think Kubrick but with words.

He starts off with a familiar genre (a murder mystery in the case of Motherless Brooklyn) and then deconstructs it until what's left is sublime art.

Also, Lethem is hilarious. Nearly every page of Motherless Brooklyn is laugh-out-loud funny. I don't see Edward Norton keeping the comedy alive; he takes himself way too seriously. (And when you do that, genuine actors like Mark Ruffalo get the last laugh.)

I SAW PEARL JAM
    listen to the podcast. make your decision after.

I've never listened to a podcast. I don't even know how or where to access one.

I don't really have time anyway. Wish I did. I like Marc Maron, and I've heard of other podcasts as being good as well -- Serial comes to mind.

When the kids move out and I ditch the wife 12 years down the line (that is, if she doesn't die on me, or vice versa, in the interim), I'll try to catch up on all the cool stuff that I missed while faking my way through the artificial microcosm of my life. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I've never listened to a podcast. I don't even know how or where to access one.

I don't really have time anyway. Wish I did. I like Marc Maron, and I've heard of other podcasts as being good as well -- Serial comes to mind.

When the kids move out and I ditch the wife 12 years down the line (that is, if she doesn't die on me, or vice versa, in the interim), I'll try to catch up on all the cool stuff that I missed while faking my way through the artificial microcosm of my life. 
    listen here.... on your commute, yard work etc....

Check out "Episode 1066 - Edward Norton" via web: http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/episode-1066-edward-norton

do find it odd you would reply to a thread about a podcast never having listened to  one(which is great in general imo)......