Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Theo: Hey lets get Derek Holland. Despite a 6.51 ERA lefties are only batting .168 against him. 

*Bryce Harper, a lefty, hits walk-off Grand Slam in Holland’s first appearance*

Theo: Fire Joe Maddon.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    I will forever blame the 2018 Cubs collapse on Major League Baseball’s total “Hey, let’s completely fuck over the Cubs” scheduling. What was it? 42 games in 41 days without a single day off to end the season? Something like that. Like you really couldn’t have sprinkled some of those make-up games in June or July?

so, now you’re a conspiracy theorist?

derek holland is a good “clubhouse guy.” good at lightening the mood. 
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    I will forever blame the 2018 Cubs collapse on Major League Baseball’s total “Hey, let’s completely fuck over the Cubs” scheduling. What was it? 42 games in 41 days without a single day off to end the season? Something like that. Like you really couldn’t have sprinkled some of those make-up games in June or July?

There's no conspiracy.  The Cubs played without a single day off the last 6 weeks of the season.  They were totally fucked over by MLB's scheduling.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited October 2019
    Wobbie said:

There's no conspiracy.  The Cubs played without a single day off the last 6 weeks of the season.  They were totally fucked over by MLB's scheduling.
    Cardinals had a similar stretch earlier in the season and I thought it was bogus that they couldn’t push back the afternoon game that followed their 19 inning game when both teams had a day off after.
    And Derek Holland sucks.

yeah, but he keeps the mood light!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Wobbie said:
    And Derek Holland sucks.

yeah, but he keeps the mood light!
    A candle can do the same lol 
    Epic, soul crushing loss for the Brewers tonight. Couldn’t have happened to a better group. 😁
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Once Hader took the mound, you know they thought it was over. Maybe I'm pulling for the Nationals. I'd tell you for sure if I wasn't still too bitter about this season. But for the next month or so: fuck baseball... :anguished:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Once Hader took the mound, you know they thought it was over. 

I hate the 2 inning save. my ex-giant pomeranz was cruising. I don’t see much of the brewers but hader has been on the tightrope whenever I’ve seen him. give me a low velocity guy who induces ground balls e.g. sergio romo, in his prime.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Hader had a great run, but has been far less effective of late. Think Andrew Miller-esque. Good but no longer automatic. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    DewieCox said:
    I’ll try to temper my shit eating grin as much as possible as I say this. It’s unbelievable how this season played out for you guys. All that freaking talent....I don’t watch them day in day out and I’m sure there are plenty of specific examples of horseshit play you guys can cite, same as I would if my team didn’t pull the collective head out of it’s ass. Pretty similar fuckery going on with both teams a lot of the season and it really could’ve ended up going the other way. As much as I probably couldn’t handle the stress, I really wish it was the Brewers that fell on their face. 

Could’ve been a pretty amazing race if you and the Brewers didn’t get bit hard by the injury bug. 

Still trying to temper that shit eating grin? Damn, this Nationals are on fire!
    DewieCox said:
    I’ll try to temper my shit eating grin as much as possible as I say this. It’s unbelievable how this season played out for you guys. All that freaking talent....I don’t watch them day in day out and I’m sure there are plenty of specific examples of horseshit play you guys can cite, same as I would if my team didn’t pull the collective head out of it’s ass. Pretty similar fuckery going on with both teams a lot of the season and it really could’ve ended up going the other way. As much as I probably couldn’t handle the stress, I really wish it was the Brewers that fell on their face. 

Could’ve been a pretty amazing race if you and the Brewers didn’t get bit hard by the injury bug. 

No, now I couldnt get rid of it with a jack hammer. Got further than anyone expected and the Cubs so called dynasty is in the gutter. Sucks the seasons over and they couldn’t make a better showing but life is pretty good as a Cards fan right now.
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

No, now I couldnt get rid of it with a jack hammer. Got further than anyone expected and the Cubs so called dynasty is in the gutter. Sucks the seasons over and they couldn’t make a better showing but life is pretty good as a Cards fan right now.
    Really? Don't know that I entirely buy that, based off my own experience in 2015. Nobody expected the Cubs to go to the NLCS that year. Then, the OG Howie Kendrick (Daniel Murphy) and the Mets swept the Cubs right out of the post season. Maybe it gave me hope going into 2016, but at that point, life was not good as a Cubs fan. Once you make it to the NLCS or ALCS, expectations change, regardless of preseason predictions or midseason standings. I can assure you that the Nationals expect to win, and at this point, anything less would be a complete disappointment. Other than knowing they made it this far with Harper in Philly. 
    I think dewie’s feeling like I did in 1997....”at least we beat the d**gers (cubs)”....giants got swept by the marlins and that sucked but I could take satisfaction in taking down the arrogant d**gers.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

Really? Don't know that I entirely buy that, based off my own experience in 2015. Nobody expected the Cubs to go to the NLCS that year. Then, the OG Howie Kendrick (Daniel Murphy) and the Mets swept the Cubs right out of the post season. Maybe it gave me hope going into 2016, but at that point, life was not good as a Cubs fan. Once you make it to the NLCS or ALCS, expectations change, regardless of preseason predictions or midseason standings. I can assure you that the Nationals expect to win, and at this point, anything less would be a complete disappointment. Other than knowing they made it this far with Harper in Philly. 
    I made my peace with the season when they had 4 outs til elimination against Atl. Can’t win it all every year and NLCS appearance was better than I expected even after they win the division, even though they barely showed up.  Had a pretty satisfying final weekend of the season and a fun couple weeks in the playoffs. 

I’m sure sweeping the cubs was enough for dewie. anything else was gravy.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    The David Ross era is officially under way. 
    David Ross is not the right guy for the job.  We don't need more buddy-buddy in the clubhouse.
    I would have preferred Girardi. Bring Ross in as a bench coach and groom him for a few years before taking the leap. We shall see. 
    I don't think Girardi is the right guy either.  Espada was probably the guy we needed.  I think Ross will make a fine manager somewhere, sometime. I just don't know that throwing him in the deep end, here, now, is the right situation.
    I don't think Girardi is the right guy either.  Espada was probably the guy we needed.  I think Ross will make a fine manager somewhere, sometime. I just don't know that throwing him in the deep end, here, now, is the right situation.
    Not to mention, if he fails, he’ll go from hometown god to goat pretty quickly. There will be a lot of pressure on him for immediate results, whether it’s justified or not. 
    I wanted Girardi. 
    I am a Kris Bryant guy.
    I wonder the impact Ross will have on keeping/trading KB (as has been rumored).

I expect nothing out of a Ross led team with a bullpen like they have. There are other issues to be sure, but can they entirely re-vamp a bullpen in a single offseason?
    bbiggs said:
    Not to mention, if he fails, he’ll go from hometown god to goat pretty quickly. There will be a lot of pressure on him for immediate results, whether it’s justified or not. 
    Exactly. That's my fear with the whole situation.
    I wanted Girardi. 
    I am a Kris Bryant guy.

I expect nothing out of a Ross led team with a bullpen like they have. There are other issues to be sure, but can they entirely re-vamp a bullpen in a single offseason?
    If they trade KB, then I'll personally start the #FireTheo and #FireJed hashtags.  About the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.  The fact that it's even a talking point pisses me off.  That's your franchise guy that YOU drafted, you fucking shmucks!  Your Rookie of the Year, your Most Valuable Player, your World Series Champion.
    If Ross can play a hand in convincing those dumbasses that Bryant's worth keeping, he'll have his first managerial victory before he takes the field.

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    My good friend is a Cubs fan and he sent me a e-mail this morning and he's NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    FYI (nerd alert) - Javy is on the cover of MLB The Show 20.  As far as I know this game cover is not cursed.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    I wanted Girardi. 
    I am a Kris Bryant guy.

If they trade KB, then I'll personally start the #FireTheo and #FireJed hashtags.  About the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard.  The fact that it's even a talking point pisses me off.  That's your franchise guy that YOU drafted, you fucking shmucks!  Your Rookie of the Year, your Most Valuable Player, your World Series Champion.
    If Ross can play a hand in convincing those dumbasses that Bryant's worth keeping, he'll have his first managerial victory before he takes the field.

I'm shocked by the amount of Cubs fans that want them to trade Bryant.  A 27 year old with that type of talent is not a guy that comes along too often.  Crazy.