Cage the Elephant

It_Wasnt_My_SurfaceIt_Wasnt_My_Surface Posts: 851
edited May 2009 in Other Music
So I got invited to go see Cage the Elephant this Friday and I'm pretty broke. Like possibly dipping into my overdraft broke. My question is A) Have any of you seen these guys live and B) Is it worth it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    They just came thorugh San Francisco, playing at a small club up the street from my place, and my girlfriend's friend's band was on the bill ... so we went.

I thought they were a lot of fun ... high energy ... songs were a mix of G.Love meets Beck ... lead singer was giving off a David Johansen/Iggy Pop vibe.

Again, a lot of fun, kept you moving all set long.

Can't imagine it's that much to get in ... we only paid $8 or $10 when they were here.

Go out for dinner one less time next week and go out and enjoy the show.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    They just came thorugh San Francisco, playing at a small club up the street from my place, and my girlfriend's friend's band was on the bill ... so we went.

I thought they were a lot of fun ... high energy ... songs were a mix of G.Love meets Beck ... lead singer was giving off a David Johansen/Iggy Pop vibe.

Again, a lot of fun, kept you moving all set long.

Can't imagine it's that much to get in ... we only paid $8 or $10 when they were here.

Go out for dinner one less time next week and go out and enjoy the show.

G.Love was one of the best shows energy-wise I've ever been to. Glad to hear it. Thanks
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    they opened for QOTSA two years ago here, got a meh from me, though it was terrible sound all night.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • So I cracked and ended up going. All honesty aside I wish I hadn't gone. They were all over the place. Nothing sounded like it was suppost to, and they just kept saying the Celtics were going to go all the way. (now if they don't I have to blame Cage the Elephant)
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    So I cracked and ended up going. All honesty aside I wish I hadn't gone. They were all over the place. Nothing sounded like it was suppost to, and they just kept saying the Celtics were going to go all the way. (now if they don't I have to blame Cage the Elephant)

That's disappointing to hear. I was gonna try and see them at apw. Hopefully they were just having an off night
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    I was actually at the show Saturday, too. I knew nothing about them going in (my friend had an extra) and thought they sounded great and put on a hell of a show. I really don't see a G.Love/Beck comparison at all...definitely punkier. I'd say they're absolutely worth checking out.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Well, I guess they turned out ok.....
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Well, I guess they turned out ok.....
    Lol. Yep.  They did.  Waiting for them to head back to my region.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    edited September 2019
    These guys are my new favorite band that creates new music and tours - wink wink nudge nudge 
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I would definitely appreciate a tour!  Selfishly, if they could make it a tour stop that isn't at a crappy venue 4 hours away, that would be wonderful!  Columbus and north would be good, though Cleveland would definitely be better.  :plus_one:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    deadendp said:
    I would definitely appreciate a tour!  Selfishly, if they could make it a tour stop that isn't at a crappy venue 4 hours away, that would be wonderful!  Columbus and north would be good, though Cleveland would definitely be better.  :plus_one:
    They just went on tour dude.  You missed them at Cincinnati and Indy
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • deadendp said:
    And that Cincy show was AMAZING as usual for Cage.

You can still see them in Chicago or Europe ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited September 2019
    deadendp said:
    I know. It happened to be a tour where the distance would call for a ticket buddy and my death metal husband said, "Please no." 

And, I'm not a dude. :smiley:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    These guys are my new favorite band that creates new music and tours - wink wink nudge nudge 
    I saw them for the second time in San Diego recently (after seeing them, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, and Royal Blood all for the first time at what I now consider the Legendary CalJam 2017) and they did not disappoint again.  Before CalJam I googled them and Royal Blood and liked what I heard, and now I love them both.  

Best Band of the 90's - Pearl Jam
    Best Band of the 00's - Queens of the Stone Age
    Best Band of the 10's - Cage The Elephant
    I saw them for the second time in San Diego recently (after seeing them, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, and Royal Blood all for the first time at what I now consider the Legendary CalJam 2017) and they did not disappoint again.  Before CalJam I googled them and Royal Blood and liked what I heard, and now I love them both.  

I can agree with you on the best of ;) 
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794

Sweet, did we just become best friends?  :)

• These guys are my new favorite band that creates new music and tours - wink wink nudge nudge 

Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

100% on that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    00’s belongs to Muse or Jack White (white stripes). QOTSA couldn’t even be their roadies ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
    00’s belongs to Muse or Jack White (white stripes). QOTSA couldn’t even be their roadies ;)
    listen to Queens way more than JW/WS, and seen them both live (WS twice, Queens about 7 times). I'd have to give a slight edge to JW's most recent solo tour. It was the best show I've ever seen. But the latest Queens show was pretty damn close. but in terms of studio stuff, QOTSA is way better for me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    listen to Queens way more than JW/WS, and seen them both live (WS twice, Queens about 7 times). I'd have to give a slight edge to JW's most recent solo tour. It was the best show I've ever seen. But the latest Queens show was pretty damn close. but in terms of studio stuff, QOTSA is way better for me. 
    Same....Muse has a few great songs but then turns to mush.  Love Jack White but I think he's better with the Raconteurs than on his own.

QOTSA just plain kicks ass.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Same....Muse has a few great songs but then turns to mush.  Love Jack White but I think he's better with the Raconteurs than on his own.

Suck ass ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

not a fan of JW's solo material at all, save for a few random tracks. but live? holy MOTHER. Amazing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

not a fan of JW's solo material at all, save for a few random tracks. but live? holy MOTHER. Amazing. 
    I like most everything JW has done, but you are right. Just like Cage (and in my opinion PJ and Muse), JW takes it to another level live. Amazing performer. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    https://youtu.be/fUMaNuKNLrQ
    Iggy pop fucking rules ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....