Backspacer turns 14 years old

Comments

• TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    Happy 8th you sexy lean record you!! Wore my BS tee to work to celebrate. 
    Happy 8th you sexy lean record you!! Wore my BS tee to work to celebrate. 

Well "I'm going to see my friends, I'm going to see my friends!" next weekend at Ohana Fest and will be blasting this CD on the way over. 
    I like the fast paced rhythmic poppines of the first half of the CD and the slower introspective edge of the second half. Also dig the artwork. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    not my fave, but I do enjoy it time to time. people saying it's their worst, you do know about LB right?
    Yes, but Backspacer is just so boring and uninspired. At 36 minutes or something a real halfassed effort imo.  At least LB takes some chances stylistically and has some diversity. BS songs are all among their worst and Unthought Known is easily the most overrated, plodding song with the cringiest lyrics in their catalog.
    Both wrong. Both albums are extremely underrated
    opinions can't be wrong. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    igotid88 said:
    Thank you for posting that... awesome read!  I enjoyed that on so many levels.  😀
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Truly wonderful and insightful writing!! Thanks for sharing!!!
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    igotid88 said:
    DewieCox said:
    not my fave, but I do enjoy it time to time. people saying it's their worst, you do know about LB right?
    Yes, but Backspacer is just so boring and uninspired. At 36 minutes or something a real halfassed effort imo.  At least LB takes some chances stylistically and has some diversity. BS songs are all among their worst and Unthought Known is easily the most overrated, plodding song with the cringiest lyrics in their catalog.
    Both wrong. Both albums are extremely underrated
    opinions can't be wrong. 
    He's right Williamson.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Cool article. I enjoyed the part about being a second generation fanatic because I also fit that description. Good to know there are people like us, discovering this great band  years, heck, decades later!
  • "Yes I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love some folks they got one others they got none". -Vedder Eddie saved my life
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    "Yes I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love some folks they got one others they got none". -Vedder Eddie saved my life
    word up
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141

I miss igotid88
  • Nice of them to celebrate Ed's second solo album.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited September 2019
    ed wrote the music to 4 of the 11 tracks. I'd hardly call that a solo effort. 

what I find more interesting is that Ed didn't collaborate musically with one other person on that record. 

I just looked at LB and the writing is pretty much to a T the same as BS. Weird. Almost like it was a Load/Reload type situation. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840

what I find more interesting is that Ed didn't collaborate musically with one other person on that record. 

I just looked at LB and the writing is pretty much to a T the same as BS. Weird. Almost like it was a Load/Reload type situation. 
    Be interesting to see how the new record pans out in terms of writing music. Mike wrote the music for Can’t Deny Me. Always of interest to see who writes music for each song that makes a record. Seems of late they all write separately as opposed to jamming and writing together. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I miss igotid88
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170

And this is why I'm glad B'OB isn't anywhere near GIGATON. Both albums are decent and have some solid live tunes, but I'm ready for another complex & multilayered PJ album that has more collaboration from the band.  

BS & LB feel somewhat like sister albums whereas every other album really stands on its' own merits. Both albums were also recorded in a couple of different 3 week sessions if I remember correctly? I really would like to hear what's in the vault from this era. 

Backspacer is still fun for what it is, but this and LB are at the bottom of my PJ album rankings. Some of the material really does soar in a live setting though. 

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • I love Backspacer. I want to hear Unthought Known live so badly!
  • It sounds like a collection of B-sides to me. But I do enjoy listening to it from time to time.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 743

Not my favourite album of theirs by any stretch but I do have some great memories associated with it (the Shepherds Bush Empire show being top of the list) along with this thing (which I rarely get the chance to show off, so please indulge me....)

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Better album than Lightning Bolt IMO.
    I miss igotid88
  • vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,434
    Some good songs but, this album defines the meaning of average. LB on the other hand is simply not good.
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

vito said:
    Some good songs but, this album defines the meaning of average. LB on the other hand is simply not good.
    What? Getaway, MYM, My Father's Son, Sirens, lightning bolt, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole, Let the records play, future days all gems
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    vito said:
    What? Getaway, MYM, My Father's Son, Sirens, lightning bolt, Pendulum, Swallowed Whole, Let the records play, future days all gems
    I'd add Yellow Moon in the gem category! Great record! Just like Backspacer. 
    TJ25487 said:
    igotid88 said:
    vito said:
    I'd add Yellow Moon in the gem category! Great record! Just like Backspacer. 
    Yea.
    I miss igotid88
  • ElEl Posts: 139
    edited May 2020
    Backspacer is up there with LB and Vitalogy amongst my least liked PJ albums. 

Though it does have it gems like, Amongst the waves, Unthought Known, Supersonic or The End.  

I still do not understand how Force of Nature is getting so much love though?
    Music is what feelings sound like.
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,650
    El said:
    Backspacer is up there with LB and Vitalogy amongst my least liked PJ albums. 

Though it does have it gems like, Amongst the waves, Unthought Known, Supersonic or The End.  

I still do not understand how Force of Nature is getting so much love though?
    Because just like your opinion, some people like it. Everyone has different taste. For example Vitalogy is incredible, not sure how anyone could not like it: betterman, nothingman, curdoroy, stbc, last exit, immortality, not sure how any pj fan couldn’t like this.