Dave Chappelle, Sticks & Stones

2»

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Dave is hilarious and a genius, but not this go around. It seems common for older comedians to resent internet outrage and how they feel it’s impacting their comedy. Rather than ignoring this or creatively developing jokes around this, it came across as more venting these resentments and an attempt to appeal to those who share these feelings (note how this show is a big hit with trumpers). It reminded me more of Andrew Dice Clay and late 80s early 90s comedy - comedy with the goal to offend. 
    Bill Burr's entire career lol

Anything is on the table for comedy, but offending for the sake of offending is cheap, easy comedy.  It can still be pretty hilarious, but it's not very impressive.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    Dave is hilarious and a genius, but not this go around. It seems common for older comedians to resent internet outrage and how they feel it’s impacting their comedy. Rather than ignoring this or creatively developing jokes around this, it came across as more venting these resentments and an attempt to appeal to those who share these feelings (note how this show is a big hit with trumpers). It reminded me more of Andrew Dice Clay and late 80s early 90s comedy - comedy with the goal to offend. 
    Bill Burr's entire career lol

Anything is on the table for comedy, but offending for the sake of offending is cheap, easy comedy.  It can still be pretty hilarious, but it's not very impressive.

I agree. Easy targets, cheap shots. That's supposed to be edgy? Nah, that's lowest common denominator stuff. I had expected better from him.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Dave is hilarious and a genius, but not this go around. It seems common for older comedians to resent internet outrage and how they feel it’s impacting their comedy. Rather than ignoring this or creatively developing jokes around this, it came across as more venting these resentments and an attempt to appeal to those who share these feelings (note how this show is a big hit with trumpers). It reminded me more of Andrew Dice Clay and late 80s early 90s comedy - comedy with the goal to offend. 
    Comparing this to a Dice man show  is just a bit off, about a mile off.

I mentioned before that he brought up every major issue going on today in America whether it was guns or gays. It can and should start a conversation.

Something else I noticed is all the people that mentioned they liked this on here aren't Trumpers, crazy right? 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,385
    edited September 2019

I mentioned before that he brought up every major issue going on today in America whether it was guns or gays. It can and should start a conversation.

Something else I noticed is all the people that mentioned they liked this on here aren't Trumpers, crazy right? 

I despise Trump with every ounce of my being, and I loved it.

Crazy, I know.

Truth be told, I was compelled to watch this BECAUSE of the outrage it caused among the left, and enjoyed 80% of it (cringed for about the other 20, but hey... I moved on with my life despite not liking what he said for that 20%).

(edited for grammar)

Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I loved the Obama story at the end.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Dave is hilarious and a genius, but not this go around. It seems common for older comedians to resent internet outrage and how they feel it’s impacting their comedy. Rather than ignoring this or creatively developing jokes around this, it came across as more venting these resentments and an attempt to appeal to those who share these feelings (note how this show is a big hit with trumpers). It reminded me more of Andrew Dice Clay and late 80s early 90s comedy - comedy with the goal to offend. 

Crazy, I know.

Truth be told, I was compelled to watch this BECAUSE of the outrage it caused among the left, and enjoyed 80% of it (cringed for about the other 20, but hey... I moved on with my life despite not liking what he said for that 20%).

(edited for grammar)

What did you actually cringe at?  I didn't find anything cringe worthy?

Crazy, I know.

(edited for grammar)

Some of the Michael Jackson stuff was a bit much, IMO.

Crazy, I know.

(edited for grammar)

I didn't agree with him but I didn't cringe at it.

Crazy, I know.

(edited for grammar)

Congrats?

IDK, jokes about pedophilia make me cringe sometimes, it's how I'm wired.

Crazy, I know.

(edited for grammar)

I didn't cringe either, but my eyes rolled to the back of my head. I was like "Okay Dave, you're obviously a Michael Jackson fan so you're going to bat for him here." But whatever, it's his special. I liked it for the most part. But yeah, that part was a little silly for me. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited September 2019
    Finally got a chance to watch this.  Pretty funny. I don’t get what all the controversy is about. If you’re transgendered and were offended, that’s understandable. If you’re not transgendered but just want to be offended on behalf of them, you need to get a life. The outrage culture is ridiculous. 
    I have never met anyone who wants to be offended on behalf of anyone. You're either offended by something, or you're not. 

It has to do with a little thing that exceedingly fewer members of the human race possess called "empathy."

I'm not an African American, but if I'm within earshot of some racist using the N word, then, yes, I'm offended. Beyond offended, really.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Finally got a chance to watch this.  Pretty funny. I don’t get what all the controversy is about. If you’re transgendered and were offended, that’s understandable. If you’re not transgendered but just want to be offended on behalf of them, you need to get a life. The outrage culture is ridiculous. 
    I have never met anyone who wants to be offended on behalf of anyone. You're either offended by something, or you're not. 

It has to do with a little thing that exceedingly fewer members of the human race possess called "empathy."

I'm not an African American, but if I'm within earshot of some racist using the N word, then, yes, I'm offended. Beyond offended, really.
    I think there's a lot of people that want to be offended by something. No one I've met. But man, on Twitter and whatnot, people love to have a reason to gang-up on someone. In this case, many have ganged up on Chappelle for this special. 

As for empathy, you can be empathic towards the struggles that trans people face, while not caring at all that some comedian has made jokes about them. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

I think there's a lot of people that want to be offended by something. No one I've met. But man, on Twitter and whatnot, people love to have a reason to gang-up on someone. In this case, many have ganged up on Chappelle for this special. 

As for empathy, you can be empathic towards the struggles that trans people face, while not caring at all that some comedian has made jokes about them. 
    Depends on the nature of the joke. I haven't watched the special yet, but if the nature of the jokes are mean spirited and cause pain to members of a community, then, to me, that's simply not a good joke. It's going for an easy laugh from the lowest common denominator of your audience.

Someone earlier mentioned Andrew "Dice" Clay, and while I did find much of his act funny back in the day, his jokes about playing ball with Akhnad (just making fun of Arabic names), Middle Eastern cab drivers' stench, blindfolding Asians with dental floss, and there being no such things as bisexuals ("you either suck dick, or you do not suck dick") were mean spirited and never worked for me.

The "I'm over here now" bit, however, remains a high point of comedic genius to me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    dankind said:

Depends on the nature of the joke. I haven't watched the special yet, but if the nature of the jokes are mean spirited and cause pain to members of a community, then, to me, that's simply not a good joke. It's going for an easy laugh from the lowest common denominator of your audience.

Someone earlier mentioned Andrew "Dice" Clay, and while I did find much of his act funny back in the day, his jokes about playing ball with Akhnad (just making fun of Arabic names), Middle Eastern cab drivers' stench, blindfolding Asians with dental floss, and there being no such things as bisexuals ("you either suck dick, or you do not suck dick") were mean spirited and never worked for me.

The "I'm over here now" bit, however, remains a high point of comedic genius to me.
    I guess just watch the special and see what ya think. I personally didn't find it very mean-spirited. But some have, and you may. And that's fine if you do. And it's also fine if you think Chappelle's a hack and not funny. But there have been reviews out there basically instructing people not to watch it. That I don't like. Reviews like these.....

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59ngpb/you-can-definitely-skip-dave-chappelles-new-netflix-special-sticks-and-stones

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sarahaswell/2019/08/31/dave-chappelle-comedy-special-watch-tiffany-haddish-they-ready/#4486cffd7c79

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I watched Bill Burr's new special on netflix last night. He goes after outrage culture as well, but it came off much better than Chapelle. Comparing the two, Chapelle seems to attack just for the sake of attacking while Burr's jokes were...witty, for lack of a better word. At times it definitely seemed Chapelle was just lashing out for having been criticised in the past. I enjoyed Chapelle's show but Burr definitely pulled it off better.
  • eddiec said:
    I watched Bill Burr's new special on netflix last night. He goes after outrage culture as well, but it came off much better than Chapelle. Comparing the two, Chapelle seems to attack just for the sake of attacking while Burr's jokes were...witty, for lack of a better word. At times it definitely seemed Chapelle was just lashing out for having been criticised in the past. I enjoyed Chapelle's show but Burr definitely pulled it off better.
    Chappelle attacked people?  Not what I got from that special at all, not by any means.