Dave Chappelle, Sticks & Stones

Vice News among others are very offended, but I thought it was great.

I didn't like or agree with everything he said, but in the end I enjoyed it, and thought he made some great points.

Tagged:

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

I didn't like or agree with everything he said, but in the end I enjoyed it, and thought he made some great points.

i didn't watch it but heard he defended michael jackson and ripped his accusers.  so yea i can see why people are offended. michael at best was a creepy fucking dude who slept in the same bed with other people's children and at worst was a pedophile. 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    pjhawks said:

i didn't watch it but heard he defended michael jackson and ripped his accusers.  so yea i can see why people are offended. michael at best was a creepy fucking dude who slept in the same bed with other people's children and at worst was a pedophile. 

Yeah, the MJ bit was the part I liked the least.

But with that being said, was the Finding Neverland documentary not debunked, or at least part of it? As I understand it, there were some inconsistencies there.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    I watched it like I listen to podcasts (which sort of works well with Chapelles more laid back conversational style) so I wasn't super focused - but was he really consistent about MJ? At the start it was "I believe he is innocent" (yucky take as hell) but later he made jokes like "let MJ do what he wants with kids - He's MJ!".

Him punching down on Trans people was and is disgusting too.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I watched it like I listen to podcasts (which sort of works well with Chapelles more laid back conversational style) so I wasn't super focused - but was he really consistent about MJ? At the start it was "I believe he is innocent" (yucky take as hell) but later he made jokes like "let MJ do what he wants with kids - He's MJ!".

I cringed during the MJ part.

To be honest, I thought the trans jokes were going to be worse considering how upset people are about it. I don't think the reaction / outrage is proportionate, but that's just my $0.02.  

I did find interesting the part he mentioned about Comedy Central not letting him use f***** but letting him use n***** with impunity.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I laughed through the whole thing. 

I have no problem with controversial/insensitive jokes as long as they are smart and funny. Dave does both well. Louis CK fits in that category as well.
    edited August 2019
    dignin said:
    I laughed through the whole thing. 

I have no problem with controversial/insensitive jokes as long as they are smart and funny. Dave does both well. Louis CK fits in that category as well.

I'm not into being insensitive for the sake of being insensitive, but Chappelle had great points for pretty much everything he touched on. Also, if you don't like it, turn it off!

Even the LGBTQ bit had some great points, I think the outrage over what he said there is both funny and ridiculous in and of itself.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Edgy comedy is always going to piss somebody off.

mickeyrat said:

That was the article I was thinking of when I mentioned Vice in my original post, and TBH it had the opposite effect, that headline inspired me to watch Sticks & Stones last night.

mickeyrat said:

That was the article I was thinking of when I mentioned Vice in my original post, and TBH it had the opposite effect, that headline inspired me to watch Sticks & Stones last night.

am reading some others too. seems clear that there is some cherrypicking going on. out of context elements and missing the broader point being made.
    in addition they make assertions of what he actually believes or what some motivations are

honest criticism would include parts that did land for the reviewer and not just what furthers an agenda.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

am reading some others too. seems clear that there is some cherrypicking going on. out of context elements and missing the broader point being made.
    in addition they make assertions of what he actually believes or what some motivations are

honest criticism would include parts that did land for the reviewer and not just what furthers an agenda.

I feel like that's the problem this day & age, far too many articles start with their conclusion and work backwards to prove their point.

More than anything I found Sticks & Stones very thought provoking, he brings up some really great points. He's a very smart comedian.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I feel like that's the problem this day & age, far too many articles start with their conclusion and work backwards to prove their point.

More than anything I found Sticks & Stones very thought provoking, he brings up some really great points. He's a very smart comedian.

seems a few of the critics missed part of the point in his, what I believe ,  fuck you all I aint changing cuz YOU want me to attitude.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    That writer at VICE definately missed the nuance and point of his comedy.

I suspect clickbait. 
    dignin said:

I suspect clickbait. 
    read one from the atlantic that was primarily on the warm up shows he apparently did on broadway. different sections in each venue  but some of the material was used in both.  then they added to the original article.

But all of these writers are entitled to their opinion as am I . I do wonder what age group they are in and if that might have some sway in how they arrived at their opinion. I am of his age group, raised in a household where pretty much anything went.  I can recall seeing the debut season of SNL and watched that show regularly with the first cast.  I was 7 when that debuted.

to that end I am not going to allow anyone ot tell me what I find funny. Like most other art , its in the eye of the beholder. Dave is great at what he does.

• mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:

I suspect clickbait. 
    read one from the atlantic that was primarily on the warm up shows he apparently did on broadway. different sections in each venue  but some of the material was used in both.  then they added to the original article.

But all of these writers are entitled to their opinion as am I . I do wonder what age group they are in and if that might have some sway in how they arrived at their opinion. I am of his age group, raised in a household where pretty much anything went.  I can recall seeing the debut season of SNL and watched that show regularly with the first cast.  I was 7 when that debuted.

to that end I am not going to allow anyone ot tell me what I find funny. Like most other art , its in the eye of the beholder. Dave is great at what he does.

A-Men!

People are wayyyy too quick to get offended with things and I do wonder are you really offended because you are or because other people say you are supposed to?

Maybe we are just a whole other generation that doesn't "get it" or get what the new people are getting?

I want comedy to be offensive and sometimes brutal.  I like that.

I will now go and watch the new Chapelle stand up act.

TY
  • This pretty much wraps it up with the differences in scores:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones

Kind of the opposite of this one:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/knock_down_the_house

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• This pretty much wraps it up with the differences in scores:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dave_chappelle_sticks_and_stones

Kind of the opposite of this one:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/knock_down_the_house

HA!  That's hysterical!

Critics love KDTH and hate Chapelle and vice versa with the audience.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

To be honest, I thought the trans jokes were going to be worse considering how upset people are about it. I don't think the reaction / outrage is proportionate, but that's just my $0.02.  

I did find interesting the part he mentioned about Comedy Central not letting him use f***** but letting him use n***** with impunity.

for me that joke is the point about the whole set.  I found the whole special to be very smart and well written.
  • fife said:

for me that joke is the point about the whole set.  I found the whole special to be very smart and well written.

His take on the opioid epidemic was fantastic, and the abortion take? My God...

He's so much more than a comedian, the man is brilliant.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not sure which I like more - his right-on and honest (and funny!) humor, or how some are so offended by it...and think others should be as well.
  • I went down a rabbit hole and found myself on a website called "Queerty" reading the comments about the comedy special.  Most people reacted to one part of the show and not the context of the whole show.

Posted this in another thread and thought I should share here.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'm honestly not a huge fan, but now I have to check it out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Founding fathers 

36-year old P

who would buy a dollhouse?

only saw about first 20 min so far, but those were good ones

some just were not, wasn’t offended at all, just a few not very funny
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Finally watched this.

Anyone who got offended was missing the whole point.  He brought up every single major issue in society today and placed them all on the table.

Man knows his history too.  Favorite part was when he said that "black people can save the world again.  We can stop this gun violence thing in a minute.  Every black person needs to go and purchase a gun.  They'll change the laws immediately."

Reminds me of what California did when the Black Panthers were exercising their 2A rights and Ronny changed the laws on that real quick.

Thoroughly enjoyed this.

Car ride with the "alphabet people" cracked me up.

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    edited September 2019
    Finally got a chance to watch this.  Pretty funny. I don’t get what all the controversy is about. If you’re transgendered and were offended, that’s understandable. If you’re not transgendered but just want to be offended on behalf of them, you need to get a life. The outrage culture is ridiculous. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Chapelle Show would never make it on the air today and it was only 15 yrs ago. Can you imagine??  

Dave is clearly not for Millennials 
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Shit was great.  If you were offended, good, that was his point.  Check
    out bill burr’s new one too, it’s great also. Comedians are trying to take back their stage, too many pussies out there these days.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Saw it last night and man was it funny as hell.  Chapelle is a genius.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Dave is hilarious and a genius, but not this go around. It seems common for older comedians to resent internet outrage and how they feel it’s impacting their comedy. Rather than ignoring this or creatively developing jokes around this, it came across as more venting these resentments and an attempt to appeal to those who share these feelings (note how this show is a big hit with trumpers). It reminded me more of Andrew Dice Clay and late 80s early 90s comedy - comedy with the goal to offend.