2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• ravilloriasravillorias Paris Posts: 458
    eboweddie said:
    I've a feeling Europe will be skipped.  Will have to travel.

:open_mouth:
    :-/
    -- rafa
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    NDJeff7 said:
    I was at both Fenway shows last year, and while they were good shows, the curfew really made it tough. It didn't help that they didn't come on stage either night until almost 8pm, so songs had to be cut out of the setlist to make the 10:30pm curfew. The sound was great, but for the curfew alone, I'd prefer an arena over Fenway anyday.
    They did everything they could to freak you out on the start time and get in there early. The opening band thing is a separate thread but I would have LOVED an opener for those shows.
  • I forgot to use the sarcasm font. My apologies. Dimi thanks for responding and for all the hints over the years. At the end of the day, it will all come down to a different set of pros and cons for each of us. Here's to new music and tours in the near future. 
  • NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 204
    pjl44 said:
    NDJeff7 said:
    I was at both Fenway shows last year, and while they were good shows, the curfew really made it tough. It didn't help that they didn't come on stage either night until almost 8pm, so songs had to be cut out of the setlist to make the 10:30pm curfew. The sound was great, but for the curfew alone, I'd prefer an arena over Fenway anyday.
    They did everything they could to freak you out on the start time and get in there early. The opening band thing is a separate thread but I would have LOVED an opener for those shows.
    Agreed, have a solid opening band from 6:30-7:15 and then they come on at 7:45.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    NDJeff7 said:
    pjl44 said:
    NDJeff7 said:
    If you want to stagger the crowd and get people in the doors early, put another band or two on the bill. Someone like Buffalo Tom would have been perfect. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    pjl44 said:
    NDJeff7 said:
    pjl44 said:
    NDJeff7 said:
    If you want to stagger the crowd and get people in the doors early, put another band or two on the bill. Someone like Buffalo Tom would have been perfect. 
    Especially considering they brought him on stage both nights. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    RP112579 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I don't care where they play. I will never skip a Boston show again. Too few days ahead to get torn up over the venue.
    Exactly. Imagine being so bitter about the venue that anyone would skip a show in their own city. Wrigley is a dump, but if they play there, I'll be there.
    It isn't about being "bitter" about the venue.

It is a matter of the experience not being enough of a payoff for the money and time involved.  Some people still like it.  That's fine.  Others dislike the experience and it isn't worth even the ticket price.  If it were in my town (it wont be), I would attend.

And part of it is seeing too many shows, quality shows and being spoiled... if not somewhat fatigued and selective.  
  • If dimi is going dark on us I guess I can stop refreshing this forum so damned often.  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    If they play ballparks and fans travel like 2018 and charge roughly $120 for tickets, most of the money traveling fans spend goes to hotels and airlines. But not to Pearl Jam. I dont understand this business model.

If they play more arenas/sheds and charge a premium for the smaller venue experience, it is more likely fans will not need to spend the majority of money on hotels and airlines.

That way, most of the money goes where it belongs, to the band.

They would need to change another common tactic. When the album comes out give fans an idea of what countries and states they expect to hit over the new album tour cycle (say 75 shows over 3 or 4 years).

That's how Elton did his Goodbye tour. (he is doing a TON of shows over 4 years ;) )

That  way we wouldn't be scrambling for expensive airline and hotels and most of our money would go to PJ. Just charge us what its worth to see them in an arena. As usual, I must be missing something.
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    edited September 2019
    MayDay10 said:
    RP112579 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I don't care where they play. I will never skip a Boston show again. Too few days ahead to get torn up over the venue.
    Exactly. Imagine being so bitter about the venue that anyone would skip a show in their own city. Wrigley is a dump, but if they play there, I'll be there.

It is a matter of the experience not being enough of a payoff for the money and time involved.  Some people still like it.  That's fine.  Others dislike the experience and it isn't worth even the ticket price.  If it were in my town (it wont be), I would attend.

And part of it is seeing too many shows, quality shows and being spoiled... if not somewhat fatigued and selective.  
    Yeah, this.

For me...the difference between the United Center and Wrigley Field is major travel. 

The United Center....I drive up, park and I am in.  I'm out and home in half an hour. 

For Wrigley...I have to drive, park.  Walk or bus to a train.  Take the train, then walk through a horde of people to get to Wrigley.  Then I have to deal with sightlines, weather, sound, etc.   If there are no delays...I have to leave my house at 3:30 or so...and I dont get home until past 2am.  And these shows always seemed to fall on or around the first day of school...and some on Monday nights. 

I have been to all 5 Wrigley shows....and 40% OF THEM had Rain Delays.  Arenas dont have that problem.  I don't mind them playing certain ballparks as an "Experience" type of scenario....thats why in 2013 when they announced Wrigley, I was legit excited....and I stuck around during the massive rain delay.     Then I was excited when they came back in 2016 and did proper shows, based on the rain delays from 2013.   In 2018....I was like, "ugh, really?".   In 2020, I will be less than thrilled, but I will be there. 

Heck...I even saw them at Lollapaloza...even though i HATE HATE HATE festivals.   We were in the crowd for about half of their performance, then got sick of the crazies and went and sat along the side, on the hill and just enjoyed the air and the music.  So I would even go to Lolla again if they went...but I would not be in the crowd of humanity. 
    Post edited by Vedd Hedd on
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    edited September 2019

Not a rumor, just a thought...………..how awesome would it be if the entire band joined Ed at Ohana this year to test drive a few of the new songs??  Probably too soon for that, but just something that crossed my mind.

Carry on with the discussion about stadium shows vs. arena shows.

Post edited by rey on
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    edited September 2019
    Vedd Hedd said:
    MayDay10 said:
    RP112579 said:
    JimmyV said:

Yeah, this.

For me...the difference between the United Center and Wrigley Field is major travel. 

The United Center....I drive up, park and I am in.  I'm out and home in half an hour. 

For Wrigley...I have to drive, park.  Walk or bus to a train.  Take the train, then walk through a horde of people to get to Wrigley.  Then I have to deal with sightlines, weather, sound, etc.   If there are no delays...I have to leave my house at 3:30 or so...and I dont get home until past 2am.  And these shows always seemed to fall on or around the first day of school...and some on Monday nights. 

I have been to all 5 Wrigley shows....and 40% OF THEM had Rain Delays.  Arenas dont have that problem.  I don't mind them playing certain ballparks as an "Experience" type of scenario....thats why in 2013 when they announced Wrigley, I was legit excited....and I stuck around during the massive rain delay.     Then I was excited when they came back in 2016 and did proper shows, based on the rain delays from 2013.   In 2018....I was like, "ugh, really?".   In 2020, I will be less than thrilled, but I will be there. 

Heck...I even saw them at Lollapaloza...even though i HATE HATE HATE festivals.   We were in the crowd for about half of their performance, then got sick of the crazies and went and sat along the side, on the hill and just enjoyed the air and the music.  So I would even go to Lolla again if they went...but I would not be in the crowd of humanity. 
    Really? I'm from Indiana (about 40 miles from IL/IN state line) and have no issues driving up there. Park within eyesight of Wrigley and am on LSD less than 20-30 minutes from the time I get back to my car.

Either way, I think the phrase of "major travel" difference being the reason to NOT go to Wrigley but okay with going to the UC is a bit of a stretch. Many of the reasons to not attend a ballpark show are legitimate, but...
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Really? I'm from Indiana (about 40 miles from IL/IN state line) and have no issues driving up there. Park within eyesight of Wrigley and am on LSD less than 20-30 minutes from the time I get back to my car.
    Do you take the skyway?  That probably saves some time.  But that would be out of the way for me to get there.  As far as parking near Wrigley....how.   

But even with your time....you're saying it takes you 20-30 minutes from the time you get to your car to get to LSD....you didnt mention the commute back .  

For the United Center shows...I am in my car in 10-15 mins, and home in 20-30. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
    rey said:

Not a rumor, just a thought...………..how awesome would it be if the entire band joined Ed at Ohana this year to test drive a few of the new songs??  Probably too soon for that, but just something that crossed my mind.

Carry on with the discussion about stadium shows vs. arena shows.

Or even one of the guys.  Like just Mike, or Jeff, etc.   "here is a new one we are working on"
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Do you take the skyway?  That probably saves some time.  But that would be out of the way for me to get there.  As far as parking near Wrigley....how.   

But even with your time....you're saying it takes you 20-30 minutes from the time you get to your car to get to LSD....you didnt mention the commute back .  

For the United Center shows...I am in my car in 10-15 mins, and home in 20-30. 
    The traffic on the way in determined if I take the Skyway. If 94 is really backed up, I'll take the skyway to Chicago. Whether I am going to the UC or Wrigley.

LSD is typically not too bad after Cubs games/concerts. A little busy, sure. Slows down by the curves at the beach/Michigan Ave (near the Drake hotel) and is kind of stop and go near Soldier Field. But from there, I almost always take 94 instead of the Skyway because traffic isn't too bad at that time of night.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,627
    Are we really talking about 20-30 minutes difference in travel to see a Pearl Jam show?
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    PJNB said:
    Are we really talking about 20-30 minutes difference in travel to see a Pearl Jam show?
    Seriously.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    PJNB said:
    😂 Every minute counts. 
  • kaw753 said:
    hihobibo said:
    pjhawks said:

Yes.  did you see Green Day's tour they just announced?  any of those cities you don't think PJ sells? maybe Texas but even that I think they would do ok.

that being said yes bring them back indoors.
    Yeah, but that is with 4 bands on the bill, with Fall Out Boy appealing to the 30 year olds, so it does get a little bit of a different demographic appeal. 

I'm shocked that Ed Sheeran played stadiums last year with his coffee shop style of music, but at least he's current and plays pop music.

Either way, I'm going to try to hit a few shows for my 40th year on the planet.
    I have no idea what Ed Sheeran does, but that was the largest grossing tour in history. $750M gross.
    I’m pretty sure his tour lasted for something like three years lol
    looking to hear of the earth
  • crazygeocrazygeo Posts: 2,374
    edited September 2019
    So READY for Tours!$
    i have been to all in area since State College Pa in 1991....
    getting older, have to dig deep to think of all the shows and Money...
    10 Club since 1994 Vitalogy Health Club
    • 1991-11-17• 1998-08-28 •2000-09-01
    • 2003-07-05• 2004-10-01
    • 2005-10-03• 2006-05-27
    • 2008-06-19• 2009-10-27 2009-10-28 •2009-10-30
    • 2009-10-31

*Tres Mts 2011-03-23
    *Eddie Vedder 2011-06-25
    - 2013-10-21
    - 2013=10-22
    -2016 -04-28
    -2016 -04-29
    PJNB said:
    No, the difference here, is that for the united center, I can leave my house (or work) at 630 pm and be in the Arena by 7pm.  

For me to GET to Wrigley, it takes multiple hours, with multiple forms of transport. 

Look at it this way....A day at the UC means I leave the house by 630 and I am home by 11:30-12. (Depending on when they end)
    A day at Wrigley means I leave my house by 3:30-4, and get home by 2am.  

Which...isnt a huge deal on a saturday, but sucks for a monday.   And either way...it sucks when trying to arrange a sitter. 

And in the end.....I have to deal with a much larger crowd at Wrigley vs the UC.  And I just like Arena shows better to boot. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    PJNB said:
    Practice? We talkin’ about practice?

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJNB said:
    No, the difference here, is that for the united center, I can leave my house (or work) at 630 pm and be in the Arena by 7pm.  

For me to GET to Wrigley, it takes multiple hours, with multiple forms of transport. 

Look at it this way....A day at the UC means I leave the house by 630 and I am home by 11:30-12. (Depending on when they end)
    A day at Wrigley means I leave my house by 3:30-4, and get home by 2am.  

Which...isnt a huge deal on a saturday, but sucks for a monday.   And either way...it sucks when trying to arrange a sitter. 

And in the end.....I have to deal with a much larger crowd at Wrigley vs the UC.  And I just like Arena shows better to boot. 
    How much is an Uber?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    PJNB said:
    Seriously.
    Shit got weird.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    Seriously.
    Shit got weird.
    99% of us can't get to any venue in 30 minutes.  No one feels sympathetic for you.
  • JimmyV said:
    God I hope it's not Vote For Change. 
    Get out and vote tour rather than a Vote for Change tour, with a few small venues (saw then in 2004 in Toledo, with Neil and Peter Frampton in a 5k capacity venue), would definitely be worth it. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Football stadium tour. That’s the sexy gig right now. 
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Football stadium tour. That’s the sexy gig right now. 
    No. Canada. Canada tour is the sexy gig right now. (Hee hee)
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • SNL 11/2 or 12/21 - not sure if that can be discussed in here since not part of the 2020 tour. Just throwing it out there.. 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    SNL 11/2 or 12/21 - not sure if that can be discussed in here since not part of the 2020 tour. Just throwing it out there.. 
    I’ll take PJ and Eddie Murphy on 12/21. Merry Xmas. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023