The Tennis Thread

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Indeed. Another awesome and epic final at a major on the men's side. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Nadal is fun to watch. He is so finicky and really enjoys himself a fresh towel. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• tbergs said:
    I really enjoyed the Women's final.

The mens was a damn marathon!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Bianca Andreescu wins the US open. First Canadian singles champion (male or female). She apologizes to the crowd for winning, knowing they were cheering for Serena. Serena later states “I love Bianca, I think she’s a great girl, but I think this is the worst match I’ve played all tournament. And it’s hard to know that you could do better,” she told reporters after the match. “It’s inexcusable for me to play at that level.”

Sore loser in my opinion. In her mind she lost because she sucked, not because her opponent was better. That's not how you carry yourself at that level. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Bianca Andreescu wins the US open. First Canadian singles champion (male or female). She apologizes to the crowd for winning, knowing they were cheering for Serena. Serena later states “I love Bianca, I think she’s a great girl, but I think this is the worst match I’ve played all tournament. And it’s hard to know that you could do better,” she told reporters after the match. “It’s inexcusable for me to play at that level.”

Sore loser in my opinion. In her mind she lost because she sucked, not because her opponent was better. That's not how you carry yourself at that level. 
    I get what you're saying, but I also think she is admitting that she played poorly. Nothing wrong with that. Her wording could have been more complimentary of Bianca coupled with her self degradation. Bianca did play great through the whole tournament. Caught the last set of her semifinal match. She seems like a force to be reckoned with for the future of women's tennis.
    tbergs said:

I get what you're saying, but I also think she is admitting that she played poorly. Nothing wrong with that. Her wording could have been more complimentary of Bianca coupled with her self degradation. Bianca did play great through the whole tournament. Caught the last set of her semifinal match. She seems like a force to be reckoned with for the future of women's tennis.
    she has kind of a history of being an entitled sore loser though (WHEN she loses). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:
    I really enjoyed the Women's final.

The mens was a damn marathon!
    Yeah, I love great matches, but dedicating 5 hours to watching one of those sure is a drain on fans too. It's not a waste of time, but when it's over you're like, WTF!, my day is over already. Reminds me of getting sucked in to video games as a kid and saying, just one more level...3 hours later...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

Exactly why I can't stand Serena. She has a track record of downplaying her opponent when she loses.  She got a beat down in straight sets by someone half her age and ten times more humble.  Someone who, despite winning her FIRST EVER Grand Slam tournament, being the FIRST EVER Canadian to win the US Open, and the FIRST EVER player born in the 2000's to win a GS - something she's dreamed of her entire life - apologizes to the crowd because they wanted her opponent to win over her.  Serena could take some lessons.

Exactly why I can't stand Serena. She has a track record of downplaying her opponent when she loses.  She got a beat down in straight sets by someone half her age and ten times more humble.  Someone who, despite winning her FIRST EVER Grand Slam tournament, being the FIRST EVER Canadian to win the US Open, and the FIRST EVER player born in the 2000's to win a GS - something she's dreamed of her entire life - apologizes to the crowd because they wanted her opponent to win over her.  Serena could take some lessons.
    I love it when Canadians do stereotypical Canadian things. Just reinforces that stuff to the world. Funny stuff. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

tbergs said:

she has kind of a history of being an entitled sore loser though (WHEN she loses). 
    Oh for sure! One of the reasons I never was that much of a fan of hers for years. I appreciate her skill level, but her attitude and personality have never been impressive.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Any time Nadal is on a court is my happy time.  
    Hi! said:
    Nadal is fun to watch. He is so finicky and really enjoys himself a fresh towel. 
    I just said this saturday night! you know it's going the distance when Nadal towels his head and pits after every rally! LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Hi! said:
    I just said this saturday night! you know it's going the distance when Nadal towels his head and pits after every rally! LOL
    Lol, save a towel for future generations. Jesus...

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    Hi! said:
    Lol, save a towel for future generations. Jesus...

yeah, his superstition rituals are downright nutty. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Bianca Andreescu wins the US open. First Canadian singles champion (male or female). She apologizes to the crowd for winning, knowing they were cheering for Serena. Serena later states “I love Bianca, I think she’s a great girl, but I think this is the worst match I’ve played all tournament. And it’s hard to know that you could do better,” she told reporters after the match. “It’s inexcusable for me to play at that level.”

Hell this was humble for Serena.

Serena was also quoted at saying "look for her in the finals" meaning Andreescu so you do have that.

Also Serena did play like crap.  First serve wasn't working.  Many unforced errors.  When she got it working late in the third set it was too little too late.

Congrats to Bianca.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Ummm, serena gonna lose this?
    Yeeeeep
    Wow 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    holy shit! osaka looked deader than dead in the first set.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,839
    edited January 2022
    Great win by Ash Barty in the Oz open tonight. As an Aussie we’re so proud of her and all that she brings to the game. A real role model for all young sportspeople, not just tennis! 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    That was a great match. Coming back from 1-5 down to win the second set was awesome!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Watched it, good match! Keeping my fingers crossed for Nadal tomorrow :)
    He‘s really done it 🤯😃
    Pretty amazing and another great match.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    shoulda set my alarm. amazing the “old guy” was the one to come from two sets down.

the time difference makes the AO really hard to watch.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Even living in Australia, finishing after 1am makes it hard to watch!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Congrats to Iga Swiatek (fellow Pearl Jam fan) on winning the French Open.

Also to Nadal for winning although his best match was against Djokivic in the quarters.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Pistol Pete was my favorite player growing up - he has 14 career grand slam titles. Rafa has 14 French open titles. Jesus.

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

Pistol Pete was my favorite player growing up - he has 14 career grand slam titles. Rafa has 14 French open titles. Jesus.
    It really is extraordinary!!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    In some respects the younger generation should be embarrassed that they still can't take down the old guard, but those three were just so damn amazing.