The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Looks like we are down to ten candidates for the next debate on the 12th. Deadline is tomorrow. This will keep it to one night instead of the two of others were to qualify. It’s  possible a candidate that didn’t qualify for this debate may still be able to qualify for the 4th debate, so that’s important to keep in mind as the field starts to dwindle.
     Cnn will be hosting a townhall on Sept. 5th on the issue of climate change and it looks like all the major candidates will be there. I am most interested in this. All the bullshit aside, I think climate change is probably the most important pressing issue of our time.
    To sum up my overall feelings right now: I think Biden needs to get his shit together, I want to like him , but sometimes I feel like I’m settling. None of the candidates really do it for me. If I had to pick my favorite it’s probably Buddha. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    seems it should still be split in two, allowing longer time for each to articulate positions.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mickeyrat said:
    seems it should still be split in two, allowing longer time for each to articulate positions.
    This. If we're down to 10, the 1st night should be candidates 6 - 10 in the polls, and the 2nd night should be the main event for the actual candidates who have a chance. I'm tired of the insignificant and inconsequential candidates trying to be consequential by sabotaging their own party's chances of defeating Drumpf by going after the front-runners.

A Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris and Buttigieg (or Booker or Beto or whomever the next lowest polling candidate is) debate would make much more sense. The inconsequential candidates have nothing to lose by throwing hail Mary passes and hoping against hope that one of them is a touchdown. Instead of making the debates a blood sport, it would be great to actually have policy discussion.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    jeffbr said:
    mickeyrat said:
    This. If we're down to 10, the 1st night should be candidates 6 - 10 in the polls, and the 2nd night should be the main event for the actual candidates who have a chance. I'm tired of the insignificant and inconsequential candidates trying to be consequential by sabotaging their own party's chances of defeating Drumpf by going after the front-runners.

A Biden, Sanders, Warren, Harris and Buttigieg (or Booker or Beto or whomever the next lowest polling candidate is) debate would make much more sense. The inconsequential candidates have nothing to lose by throwing hail Mary passes and hoping against hope that one of them is a touchdown. Instead of making the debates a blood sport, it would be great to actually have policy discussion.
    This is why I’m intrigued by the townhall on the 5th and like the idea centered around one topic. It will be interesting to to see if the townhall could possibly set a particular tone for the debate on the 12th. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I honestly put zero stock in these polls this far out. Wasn't Trump near the bottom of the polling barrel in the beginning?
    Pretty sure he was the frontrunner in polls from the beginning.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    dignin said:
    I honestly put zero stock in these polls this far out. Wasn't Trump near the bottom of the polling barrel in the beginning?
    No.. not until the debates started.  It was actually Jeb that shot out first I believe. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    mickeyrat said:
    But then how would they speak to conservatives who need their politics delivered to them in 140 characters or less? 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    CM189191 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    But then how would they speak to conservatives who need their politics delivered to them in 140 characters or less? 
    Classic! Love it. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    No.. not until the debates started.  It was actually Jeb that shot out first I believe. 
    I would call that the beginning. At this time, four years ago, he was way out in front. That's in line with the current polls were talking about.
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    I would call that the beginning. At this time, four years ago, he was way out in front. That's in line with the current polls were talking about.
    Fair enough.  I was thinking more about announcement time. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Fair enough.  I was thinking more about announcement time. 
    me too. I seem to recall it being considered a joke at the time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Now this is a good poll: https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3638&fbclid

New Quinnipiac poll with much larger sample and much lower margin of error (and correct weighting) that I would say is much more reliable than the bad Monmouth and Emerson polls shows Biden at 32%, Warren at 19%, and Sanders at 15%.

Crucially, this represents a 4% increase for Warren since July 29 and shows Warren winning head-to-head against Trump 52%-40%.

Additionally, Warren is in 1st place among very liberal voters and 2nd place among both moderate and conservative voters as well as 2nd place among every single age demographic.

My favorite stat is that she's in close 2nd place among people paying "a lot of attention" to the campaign while she's distant 3rd among people paying "little to no attention" to the campaign. As the first number grows and the second number decreases, this should work in her favor.

This is a good poll for her and shows she's in great shape right now.

Good poll.  Warren still has the Sanders problem.  She's also been quietly reaching out to DNC power brokers to let them know that she is not looking for a political 'revolution'.  She wants to reform the current capitalistic system.  If she's being straightforward, then I'm more sympathetic to her positions, but she needs to get centered soon enough.  If I were her, I'd start going after Biden supporters.  That's the path to victory because I just don't see Sanders dropping out until deep, deep into the primary season, if ever.  Going after Biden supporters means moderating some of her positions on taxation.  

Regarding Trump, it all still comes down to the economy.  That's the only thing he has going.  These are issues are just horrible numbers.

Trump's approval for his handling of the economy is split, with 46 percent approving and 49 percent disapproving. On his handling of other issues, the president is decidedly underwater:
    • 38 - 56 percent approval for his handling of foreign policy;
    • 38 - 59 percent approval for his handling of immigration issues;
    • 38 - 54 percent approval for his handling of trade;
    • 38 - 53 percent approval for his handling of gun policy;
    • 32 - 62 percent approval for his handling of race relations.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited August 2019
    Also, anyone with single digits polling needs to get out, especially if you're 1% or fucking zero - imagine what Tom Steyer could have spent his money on instead of running for President. Idiots. How many House races, state and local races could use that money. He's the worst.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Thank god. Thin out the pack. She had no real chance to dethrone King Trump. Unless she too has Russian ties. 🤔
    Thank god. Thin out the pack. She had no real chance to dethrone King Trump. Unless she too has Russian ties. 🤔
    She was the lead lyncher of Al Franken. Many liberals are still upset about that situation. 
    mrussel1 said:
    She was the lead lyncher of Al Franken. Many liberals are still upset about that situation. 
    I am. 

She also has no regrets throwing him under the bus.
    Al Franken would have made a great candidate. Too bad he was taking down. Yet grabby Joe Biden and grab me by the pussy Trump still are around. Crazy times. 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I am. 

She tried to fund raise off of it and then took offense when she was questioned about it. The field is much better off without her.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    This action is going to fuck America.  They should use it to bash this craphead of state.  Repeatedly.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    JimmyV said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I am. 

She tried to fund raise off of it and then took offense when she was questioned about it. The field is much better off without her.
    She defended her actions on The Daily. I don't know if she is right or wrong, and I liked her in the debates - but she came off as a bit cold and a bit like she had to defend her actions no matter what.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So wait - people here think Al should have done what?  Apologized and then moved on? Just trying to understand.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • So wait - people here think Al should have done what?  Apologized and then moved on? Just trying to understand.
    I guess, waited for the ethics committee-thing instead of resigning?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    So wait - people here think Al should have done what?  Apologized and then moved on? Just trying to understand.
    He seemed to want to toe the line between apologizing and not admitting he did what he was accused of. I wish he would have just said these accusations are out of context and clearly partisan in nature, and then waited for an investigation. But he couldn't really do that because his own weak ass party was showing him the door. Both Senators from NY were at the front of that train.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
This discussion has been closed.