America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The US is just like any other country! Only bigger! And so diverse!

Elementary school cheerleaders asked to sell raffle tickets – with a semiautomatic weapon as the prize

Two Ohio mothers separately raised concerns about something their kids were asked to do by a youth football league: sell tickets to raffle off an AM15 rifle.

Sari Brittain says her 4-year-old daughter, a new New Richmond Junior Lions Football league cheerleader, was asked to participate in the team's fundraising event by selling 10 raffle tickets. The prize was a semiautomatic rifle, CBS affiliate WKRC reports.

Brittain was shocked that such a weapon would be part of a youth fundraiser. She was concerned about her daughter asking adults if they wanted a chance to win a gun.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/elementary-school-cheerleaders-asked-to-sell-raffle-tickets-with-a-semiautomatic-weapon-as-the-prize/
    I d definitely buy a few tickets to help support the cause. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    The US is just like any other country! Only bigger! And so diverse!

Elementary school cheerleaders asked to sell raffle tickets – with a semiautomatic weapon as the prize

Two Ohio mothers separately raised concerns about something their kids were asked to do by a youth football league: sell tickets to raffle off an AM15 rifle.

Sari Brittain says her 4-year-old daughter, a new New Richmond Junior Lions Football league cheerleader, was asked to participate in the team's fundraising event by selling 10 raffle tickets. The prize was a semiautomatic rifle, CBS affiliate WKRC reports.

Brittain was shocked that such a weapon would be part of a youth fundraiser. She was concerned about her daughter asking adults if they wanted a chance to win a gun.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/elementary-school-cheerleaders-asked-to-sell-raffle-tickets-with-a-semiautomatic-weapon-as-the-prize/

It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and our air force has to have a bake-sale to buy a bomber.

Why don't we just take the Dept of Education and Health & Human Services and roll it up into the DOD?  Seems like it would solve a lot of funding problems
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh look! Another “responsible” gun owner. And a white male. Don’t forget your bullet proof backpack and bleed out kits boys and girls.

https://apple.news/A7hpPKC_8R0upSP0MPknttA
    How was he an irresponsible gun owner?
    I’ll answer with a question, how was he a “responsible” gun owner?
    Did he break any firearm laws?
    He  allegedly broke a law and had means to carry out the threat.  The arrest,  felony charge and leaky subsequent inability to own a firearm legally in the future seems appropriate 
    But did he break any firearms laws according to the article?

I know this is a week old, I haven’t read this thread in a while. but I didn’t know anyone under 21 could buy a gun. Thought the age was 21 and therefore must have broke a law. But I just looked it up, you have to be 21 to buy from a licensed dealer, but you can buy from. Private party at 18. 
    Sometimes our gun laws do make zero sense. 
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1831622670501190/permalink/2322332914763494/?sfnsn=mo

That's just nuts and its news I've not heard as yet. I'm currently in that same county helping my mother with her fight with cancer.

I'm seriously seeing a changing face of America and I'm NOT liking it..

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Here's another change in America. 

Michigan High School Getting Extreme Makeover To Twart Mass Shootings.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/23/michigan-high-school-getting-extreme-makeover-to-thwart-mass-shootings/

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    g under p said:

https://nypost.com/2019/08/23/michigan-high-school-getting-extreme-makeover-to-thwart-mass-shootings/

Peace
    yes , lets build a better building and leave unaddressed causes and conditions that would necessitate such a building. makes perfect sense.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    yes , lets build a better building and leave unaddressed causes and conditions that would necessitate such a building. makes perfect sense.
    Well to be fair aren’t these different people? I don’t think the school administrators can implement gun control. So I guess it makes sense to do what’s under your control. But I understand the frustration.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    Well to be fair aren’t these different people? I don’t think the school administrators can implement gun control. So I guess it makes sense to do what’s under your control. But I understand the frustration.
    school administrators arent allocating the money for this. School Board did. And It still comes from the tax payer.  I wonder if this was a ballot measure of funding you typically see on local elections....  If it was , then that district has effectively given up......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    school administrators arent allocating the money for this. School Board did. And It still comes from the tax payer.  I wonder if this was a ballot measure of funding you typically see on local elections....  If it was , then that district has effectively given up......
    So - how exactly does that change my point? 
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    article I read didnt mention anything about a cultural change within the school or district. Address the anger that is seems so prevalent among this group of WHITE MALES.
    Instead the tactical layout is going to solve it.

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace
    article I read didnt mention anything about a cultural change within the school or district. Address the anger that is seems so prevalent among this group of WHITE MALES.

Yeah I know what you are saying. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of National work needed for gun control and all this.  

So - what you are saying is that they should utilizes those resources for what instead? 

hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace

Yeah I know what you are saying. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of National work needed for gun control and all this.  

So - what you are saying is that they should utilizes those resources for what instead? 

conceding defeat. Are there any resources being put to this? Or will they(we) show students we'll try to keep you alive but fuck all the rest of your being.

Allocate funds to restore all the arts and shop classes thats been cut. The vocational ed thats been cut. add some classes on navigating a digital world, whats real in it and whats just assholes fucking with people.

maybe within 10 years those kids in K-6 now  wont shoot up shit

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    g under p said:

Peace

conceding defeat. Are there any resources being put to this? Or will they(we) show students we'll try to keep you alive but fuck all the rest of your being.

Allocate funds to restore all the arts and shop classes thats been cut. The vocational ed thats been cut. add some classes on navigating a digital world, whats real in it and whats just assholes fucking with people.

maybe within 10 years those kids in K-6 now  wont shoot up shit
    Ah I see what you are getting at.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Renfield said:
    And another “responsible”....

Cops find dozens of guns, rifles, in raid of Brooklyn apartment - New York Daily Newshttps://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-brooklyn-gun-bust-20190820-yewi434fk5gmpixcqvt4x57q4u-story.html

You’re from NY so you should know that all of those are now deemed illegal so the guy was irresponsible...
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Renfield said:

Cops find dozens of guns, rifles, in raid of Brooklyn apartment - New York Daily Newshttps://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-brooklyn-gun-bust-20190820-yewi434fk5gmpixcqvt4x57q4u-story.html

You’re from NY so you should know that all of those are now deemed illegal so the guy was irresponsible...
    Ergo, the quotation marks around the word responsible.
    Another “responsible” gun owner.

https://apple.news/AOhPKfo_MSL-77osgSaRZwg
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Renfield said:

I think that revolver is fine.
    Check the NYT article on US gun exports by “responsible” gun owners and how, like land mines in Cambodia, kill people 20,30, 40 years later. Yea, illegal guns coming into ‘Murica is the concern. Nothing can be done except exporting our violence.

Brilliantati©
    Check the NYT article on US gun exports by “responsible” gun owners and how, like land mines in Cambodia, kill people 20,30, 40 years later. Yea, illegal guns coming into ‘Murica is the concern. Nothing can be done except exporting our violence.
    Is this the article?
    One Handgun, 9 Murders: How American Firearms Cause Carnage Abroad
    Renfield said:
    Is this the article?
    Ayup. I’m paywalled out. But jeebus, the almighty dollar and “responsibility,” eh?

Brilliantati©
    Renfield said:
    Is this the article?
    Ayup. I’m paywalled out. But jeebus, the almighty dollar and “responsibility,” eh?

Just reading through it now...

p.s. I pay for NYT mobile, so can get you any article needed
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Renfield said:
    Is this the article?

Selling a gun illegally is not responsible...  It gets very tiring when you use that to describe illegal behavior that is wrong in the first place.  

I used to know gun smugglers that ran in to Mexico and they were paying pretty well for them down there.

Were those involved responsible?  No, of course not.

So if I sell a gun and somewhere down the line it gets used in a crime I am somehow part of that crime?   Just checking?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Renfield said:
    Is this the article?

Selling a gun illegally is not responsible...  It gets very tiring when you use that to describe illegal behavior that is wrong in the first place.  

I used to know gun smugglers that ran in to Mexico and they were paying pretty well for them down there.

So if I sell a gun and somewhere down the line it gets used in a crime I am somehow part of that crime?   Just checking?
    You reported the smugglers to the local authorities, right?

Or were you just aiding and abetting a federal crime?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Renfield said:
    Is this the article?

I was once told in this very thread that every gun begins it’s life as a legal gun and that every gun owner is a “responsible” gun owner. If you’re, you in the general sense, are a “responsible” gun owner, you should have no issue with being held accountable and “responsible” via licensing, registering, documenting transfers and cracking down on your friends, straw purchasers, right? Just checking.

Brilliantati©
    Look! Another “responsible” gun owner. Too bad the other students weren’t armed and could have merited out swifter justice.

https://www.boston.com/news/crime/2019/08/28/alleged-shooting-threat-high-point-university

Brilliantati©
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Because the school bus stop is rife with crime? Or just another “responsible” gun owner flexing?

https://apple.news/AhHVeYG1XRIuzo6BdT62rIg

Brilliantati©
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    These are perfect examples of why guns should be illegal.  No one will be safe.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Because 39 guns and 2,000 rounds of ammo, plus bomb making supplies, is what it takes to protect yourself and be a “responsible” gun owner.

https://apple.news/A3hj8nqhiSwSmXrB0I7iBTw

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.