Joseph Arthur

Comments

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,595
    Unique musician artist. Go see him when you can. 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    RP112579 said:
    I love this song. It’s got such a cool vibe to it 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    RP112579 said:
    I love this song. It’s got such a cool vibe to it 
    Agreed. Great song.
    Wow...nice song.

Had that led zep poster on my wall as a kid. Not that massive...hope this song is a hit for him...he gets mad paper and keeps on creating!
    His music always taps into something deep for me.
    Was on a JA kick for a while...thanks to jeff/rndm...faded away...may be time to come back.
    Also video gave me a flashback of walking around nyc barefoot after seeing rollins band and sausage at roseland 25ish years ago...

My old converse just disintegrated in the pit. Henry dedicated a song to all those shoes. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2019
    Wow, well here is Joe's write up/Bio on his website right now, to introduce his upcoming album, which is now available for pre-sale (sic btw. This thing needs a bit of proofreading, lol). I met JA after a show, and  I talked to him about the very personal tour blog he was writing at the time. He said that he felt kind of self-conscious about it, thinking that maybe it was just too personal for public consumption. I said to him that it seemed like a cathartic act to me, and there is nothing wrong with that - it helps, and is nothing he should feel shy about. He agreed and seemed glad to know at least someone thought so. I'm happy he still feels that way... It clearly does help him to be this honest about where he's coming from.

"The interesting parts of our stories aren’t the famous people we meet…

Or the times when everything is basically working. Or when we get to lay in comfort with a partner watching Netflix and the world go by. 
    The interesting parts are when all those things break down and you’re left in isolation to finally deal with the roots of whatever had been thwarting your existence all along. The interesting parts are when the world has turned its back on you and you have turned your back on it or them. When darkness could seemingly swallow you whole if it hasn’t already. When there is no such thing as hope and so you manufacture it from a dream which only angle is to survive. 

If all this sounds dramatic then you haven’t been there yet. If it doesn’t then you know that this is actually an understatement. The interesting parts of our stories are when they seem like the final chapter has been read and the book thrown in the fire. The interesting parts of our stories are written with the smoke of our burnt out lives. 

Come Back World is an album about rebirth and survival. At least that’s what it means to me. The title track I wrote in a little town on my way to aspen on a tour celebrating the 15th anniversary of Redemption’s Son. I was alone touring in a rented car driving myself across the country as a support act and doing what I could to rebuild my career. New management, eviction notices, an injured shoulder and most importantly estrangement from my family of origin. Discovering newly that my life and my soul had been ravaged for the most part covert forms of emotional abuse know. Commonly as NPD. The discovery of which is commonly followed by extreme isolation, PTSD, and the realization that nearly everything in your life needs to be built again. 

I realize this is an intense way to start a bio about a new album but there really is no other way to paint the story of how this album came to be if I want it to be anything resembling the truth. 

Because for me this album is all about surviving that predicament which for those unfamiliar with it will perhaps sound like madness (which it is ironically designed too) and for those that know about it and those that have survived it, will know that one can do little else but focus on the rebuilding, the bringing back of your world. 

Herman Hesse said the best art comes from necessity and this art certainly qualifies. I had nothing but songs to get me out of the hole I was in. 

The songs themselves aren’t all literal interpretations of what I was going through but the strength of them comes from the fact that I needed them to be good enough to deliver some kind of life back too me. A life I had lost that wasn’t gonna get found. But perhaps a new life could be built. A better one. One that wasn’t rooted in lies.  – JA"

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Awesome thanks for sharing...
    Hey now. Dude has mad depth. his music and words...living on the edge and getting through it. 
    Hope that he hits some local joints by me. If he swings by you. GO. 
    Live is a whole different experience.

Saw him do heavy electric and acoustic. First ballad show killed me.

Keep rocking JA!
    I commented on one of Joseph’s Instagram posts earlier, suggesting that Mike McCready would be a great guest for his podcast.

His response was... “It’s coming”  o 

I really hope this happens! Some of the episodes have been great, especially the Mark Lanegan and Michael Imperioli ones.

(Tim Rogers)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    goldrush said:
    I commented on one of Joseph’s Instagram posts earlier, suggesting that Mike McCready would be a great guest for his podcast.

His response was... “It’s coming”  o 

I really hope this happens! Some of the episodes have been great, especially the Mark Lanegan and Michael Imperioli ones.
    Awesome! I'm listening to the Vernon Reid episode right now. He gets incredible guests.
    It is awesome! Love it. Better than his last two solo albums IMO (not that I didn't really like those).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Absolutely Awesome! Thanks for posting PJSOUL
    Quick heads up - Joseph is doing a live acoustic stream on his Instagram page right now

(Tim Rogers)
    edited June 2020
    The 20th Anniversary reissue if Come To Where I’m From is available to download on Bandcamp now

Out today, a 20th Anniversary digital edition of Joseph Arthur's breakthrough album, Come To Where I'm From. Produced by T Bone Burnett, it was chosen as Entertainment Weekly's No. 1 album of 2000, and the lead single 'In The Sun' became a cult classic track of the decade, being covered by Peter Gabriel, R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe and Chris Martin from Coldplay. The anniversary edition of the album includes two bonus discs: Heavy Bullets, featuring previously unheard songs lifted from the album sessions, and a recording of an acoustic gig from 2000: Live at the Gypsy Tea Rooms. Stream/download the album 👉 https://realworldrecords.bandcamp.com/album/come-to-where-im-from-anniversary-edition
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm sad that there still isn't a vinyl release of that ^^^ :cry:
    It drives me crazy how scattered his catalog is. Recently pulled the trigger on a Redemption City vinyl. The only way I can listen to it now is via mp3.
    pjl44 said:
    It drives me crazy how scattered his catalog is. Recently pulled the trigger on a Redemption City vinyl. The only way I can listen to it now is via mp3.
    The Redemption City vinyl is BEAUTIFUL, both in appearance and sound. Plus it's a kickass album that highlights his versatility within his catalogue. I love it.
    inspired me to bust out my copy...a gem in my dusty collection.

In your way find a way...free
    Give it up to your destiny

It's like psychedelic folk new wave smashed to pieces then carefully put back together. Something like that. Glad he has the guts to let it happen and share it with those who understand.
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    The Redemption City vinyl is BEAUTIFUL, both in appearance and sound. Plus it's a kickass album that highlights his versatility within his catalogue. I love it.
    Loujoe said:
    inspired me to bust out my copy...a gem in my dusty collection.

In your way find a way...free
    Give it up to your destiny

It's like psychedelic folk new wave smashed to pieces then carefully put back together. Something like that. Glad he has the guts to let it happen and share it with those who understand.
    It's crazy how he just threw the album up online one day and that was the release. I think it's my favorite record of his. It's definitely the one I go back to the most.
    edited February 2021
    Inhabiting: Joseph Arthur Live in Concert at Fotografiska New York, February 12th, 2020

https://www.fotografiska.com/nyc/the-foto-sessions/inhabiting-joseph-arthur-live-in-concert-at-fotografiska-new-york-february-12th-2020/?

From January 29, 2020 – February 12, 2020, singer-songwriter and multi-media artist, Joseph Arthur spent two weeks inhabiting Fotografiska New York’s Mainstage as its first Artist-in-Residence. He shared his creative process with museum guests and members for the duration of his stay as part of his installation Inhabiting – painting, writing poetry and songs, recording music and giving live impromptu performances.

To commemorate Inhabiting’s one-year anniversary and stay connected with you during these unprecedented times, we invite you to watch Inhabiting, the concert above.

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    Some of his stuff is on sale! Tempted to get arthur buck. Never heard it yet.
    https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/joseph-arthur
    Loujoe said:
    Some of his stuff is on sale! Tempted to get arthur buck. Never heard it yet.
    https://www.hellomerch.com/collections/joseph-arthur
    You should definitely get Arthur Buck. I think it’s right up there with Joseph’s best albums

(Tim Rogers)
    edited June 2021
    Anyone else who follows JA's social media struggling with his new anti-vax obsession? I've had to unfollow him. :frowning: Most of his posts are now about this, and how his anti-vax voice is being oppressed by the frightened, angry sheeple. It's so off-putting. He does have a right to his opinions, but I find this particular message dangerous as well as irritating AF, at least when it's as relentless as he's being about it, so have had to shut him down for now. I'm so bummed out by this, since he is one of my favorite artists... But he's lost a LOT of my respect with all this crap, and I feel like he's teetering on the edge of the deep end right now. I hope he grows out of it soon.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    PJ_Soul said:
    Anyone else who follows JA's social media struggling with his new anti-vax obsession? I've had to unfollow him. :frowning: Most of his posts are now about this, and how his anti-vax voice is being oppressed by the frightened, angry sheeple. It's so off-putting. He does have a right to his opinions, but I find this particular message dangerous as well as irritating AF, at least when it's as relentless as he's being about it, so have had to shut him down for now. I'm so bummed out by this, since he is one of my favorite artists... But he's lost a LOT of my respect with all this crap, and I feel like he's teetering on the edge of the deep end right now. I hope he grows out of it soon.
    Yup... I made the mistake of going down the rabbit hole of his IG feed last week. It legit made me sad, NGL. 
    Agreed, he's entitled to his opinion, I just don't understand how a person can ignore the way hospitals got overwhelmed by the sheer # of infected people leading to more deaths. His POV comes off as pretty selfish and narrow minded... I too had to unfollow.

I also met him once after one of the 2 RNDM shows I saw, and he was super cool - I still admire him as an artist / songwriter / performer... but this recent behavior definitely changes my opinion of him as a person, at least in the short term (not that I knew all that much about him outside of RNDM, but regardless... this BS is tough to watch and harder to support).
    Yeah some of the shit he's posting is way out there. He gets angry when people call him a conspiracy theorist, but will happily shoot people down as being 'indoctrinated' and 'controlled'. It's the kind of fake news social media crap that starts out as an opinion, but quickly descends into paranoid ramblings. 

It's really sad to see. I've had a few genuinely interesting and helpful conversations with Joe over the years, either in DMs or through replies to each other's comments, but this is getting painful to watch now.

I haven't unfollowed yet (mainly because I'm waiting for news on the album he's done done with Peter Buck, Rich Robinson and Barrett Martin), I just have to keep scrolling past his rants

(Tim Rogers)
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    I had to unfollow him too, it was just too much.  I have a feeling there isn’t going to be anymore RNDM albums. I really liked his music and even bought some of this art.
    Some of his most recent posts - in between all of the anti-vax madness - have mentioned that his partner is having a baby.
    That’s pretty great news, hopefully it will bring him back to some kind of normality (that sounds really patronising, but I wish him well)

(Tim Rogers)