Do you really see a shitty world out there?

124»

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Louis Armstrong, a black man recording in 1967 in the midst of the war in Vietnam, sang "What a Wonderful World" so genuinely as to make it seem like it really was wonderful.  Maybe we need more of that and less, "What a Shi-i-ty World".  It is shitty, but it's wonderful too.
    But it wasnt wonderful. You were napalming children. 

Hiding behind a lie to not face reality is ofc the core of the US society with the ”American Dream” etc. But still. 

Facing reality is important me thinks.
    Yeah Brian,  how could you think the world was wonderful while YOU were napalming children?  Face reality man.  This is why ABBA and Ace of Base spent their entire careers writing songs of atonement. 

Good job,  SC. You set him straight and made more friends. 

Lol.  The ability to have a normal conversation eludes some of us. 
    Oh geez. Is this stupidity still going on? Now I'm sorry I dropped by.
    Some of us speak up when people say stupid shit to antagonize.  Im sorry it bothers you but I won't stop,  regardless of whether it's on the left,  right or just plain idiotic.  
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Louis Armstrong, a black man recording in 1967 in the midst of the war in Vietnam, sang "What a Wonderful World" so genuinely as to make it seem like it really was wonderful.  Maybe we need more of that and less, "What a Shi-i-ty World".  It is shitty, but it's wonderful too.

Hiding behind a lie to not face reality is ofc the core of the US society with the ”American Dream” etc. But still. 

Yeah Brian,  how could you think the world was wonderful while YOU were napalming children?  Face reality man.  This is why ABBA and Ace of Base spent their entire careers writing songs of atonement. 

Some of us speak up when people say stupid shit to antagonize.  Im sorry it bothers you but I won't stop,  regardless of whether it's on the left,  right or just plain idiotic.  
    Why would someone use 2x blankspaces after commas.

And what was idiotic?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

And what was idiotic?
    Because...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

And what was idiotic?
    Because...

https://youtu.be/e-ORhEE9VVg

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    I for one don't necessarily see a shitty world out there.
    Are there shitty aspects to it? Yes
    Is our currently elected president a piece of shit? Yes
    Do I live in fear such that I ever need a gun? Nope
    Do I feel good about the prospects for America as a whole? Yes
    That's because LOVE tRUmps hate
    Are their many shitty people in America? Yes
    But I do my best to ignore them.
    Do I surround myself with shitty people with shitty attitudes? Nope
    Do I worry about the next Pearl Jam album? Nope
    My glass is always half full and leaning toward filling not emptying.

Namaste' 

Nothing to worry about as its forthcoming ;-)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    I see shitty people all the time ! 
    Let's go see Beck this Saturday and be around good people.

What do you say?
    Can’t I’m headed down to Maryland for the weekend eat some soft shell crabs and drink beer 🍺, would of loved too though thanks for the invite!
    We should pick a Forrest Hills show and go to it!

Enjoy the soft shell crabs.  They are in season now!
    Yeah I haven’t seen a show there I wanted to see this show the lineup is really good ..

I wanted to go to Forest Hills tonight but balked at the $145 with fees. Probably $290 if I took my kid.

Guess I'm nervous knowing the 2 massive heavyweights are expected to be on the road next year, PJ and TOOL (its capitalized now). Lots of saving necessary. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    The world is brilliant, awe inspiring, beautiful, an ecological marvel and the only one we have.

The about 5 billion too many people on it and growing will be our demise.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Smellyman said:
    The world is brilliant, awe inspiring, beautiful, an ecological marvel and the only one we have.

The about 5 billion too many people on it and growing will be our demise.
    Well said. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan, especially songs like that that have what to me is super irritating electronic drums machine, but it was cool that she was in the movie "The Giver".  Jeff Bridges said he enjoyed jamming with here when they weren't filming.  Pretty cool.  I think I would enjoy her music in that kind of setting without the electronica.  But anyway...

... the tie-in to the thread here is that, to the people living in their world, the world of the Giver was any but "shitty".  It was perfect.  But when the Bridges character challenges that perfection by talking about how some of the things that seem terrible can turn into something marvelous, and that a world with imperfections allows us to experience things we wouldn't other wise, I thought, "Yeah, give me this imperfect world.  I'd rather hack it than pack my emotions away in a perfect world."  And maybe if more people who are dissatisfied and who go off shooting up bars and what not would watch that movie, maybe they would see that this imperfect world is also beautiful and full of opportunity and lessons for us to learn in this life, and maybe they would be more accepting and not do that crazy shit. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I took my daughter years ago to see Taylor Swift and I have to say it was a super cool concert. Her positive message to all the kids and the production of the show were top notch. Plus she writes her songs. Do I like the pop stuff. Not so much but I do like the country stuff and 1989 was a good album. Ryan Adams version of it is killer too. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    I took my daughter years ago to see Taylor Swift and I have to say it was a super cool concert. Her positive message to all the kids and the production of the show were top notch. Plus she writes her songs. Do I like the pop stuff. Not so much but I do like the country stuff and 1989 was a good album. Ryan Adams version of it is killer too. 
    'plus she writes her songs'

So the narrative goes.  She has had the biggest writers and names in the biz 'help' her
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,417
    Smellyman said:
    'plus she writes her songs'

So the narrative goes.  She has had the biggest writers and names in the biz 'help' her
    so she employs a bunch of people too.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    dankind said:

hahaha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    the world is as it always has been. just now our bubbles have been popped and we don't like the new air we have to breathe. it's like our own real version of the matrix. 

TAKE THE BLUE PILL. TAKE THE BLUE PILL. 
    Hmm... is it the one that makes you larger, or the one that makes you small, or is it the one mother gives you that doesn't do anything at all?
    Well, why don't you go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    the world is as it always has been. just now our bubbles have been popped and we don't like the new air we have to breathe. it's like our own real version of the matrix. 

Hmm... is it the one that makes you larger, or the one that makes you small, or is it the one mother gives you that doesn't do anything at all?
    She's too far gone to answer right now.

wow, that's a cool gif!
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

She's too far gone to answer right now.

the real wonderland:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on