Sports teams name changes

13»

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Even more wtf? than name changes are drastic team color changes. Like the Canucks of the 80s/90s or when the Buffalo Sabres changed to black, red, & silver for a few years. The Padres since the early 90s. Or the Florida Marlins who cant settle on anything for more than a decade.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Hahaha

Remember the Cooperalls for the Flyers and Whalers, and the WhiteSox experiment with shorts!
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mcgruff10 said:
    Being from New Jersey I hate that my favorite football team is named  the New York Giants.  
    The "New York Football Giants" is the actual proper name as to not get confused with the old New York Giants baseball team.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Spotted an old Atlanta Knights jersey over the weekend.  Havn't seen one of those in years!  They were a minor league hockey team here in Atlanta before the Thrashers were born. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Being from New Jersey I hate that my favorite football team is named  the New York Giants.  
    The "New York Football Giants" is the actual proper name as to not get confused with the old New York Giants baseball team.
    All the more reason to rename them to the “New Jersey football Giants”.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited August 2019
    Even more wtf? than name changes are drastic team color changes. Like when the Buffalo Sabres changed to black, red, & silver for a few years. 
    Unlike now, which the 'style' is retro (which is how it should be)... the mid-late 90s there was that huge Black fad with sports teams colors.  The Sabres fell victim to that...
    Also, the team's original owner was ill, and as NHL salaries grew, John Rigas of Adelphia Communications was floating the team money to remain solvent and was basically the defacto owner... and would become the actual owner shortly after, once Seymour Knox III passed away.  The team was moving into a new arena for 96-97, Rigas bought the team, and I feel he wanted them as his own team.  Changed the colors to black and red (which was adelphia's colors).  The team's history was basically scrubbed.  They rarely did anything acknowledging the past, this day in Sabres history, etc.  Rigas and his family eventually went for prison for corporate fraud.

The worst result of this though was that The Aud was left to rot.  There were a lot of team artifacts, video, audio, etc that was left in there and was destroyed due to moisture, mold, etc.  

The Sabres are going back to royal blue next season (20-21) which will be great
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    MayDay10 said:
    My biggest sports name pet peeve is the trendy 2-name team name that started in the early 00s, hit a peak of absurdity maybe 6 years ago and I think we are getting through it.  It is most prominent in Minor League baseball where the powers that be have taken a giant shit on anything representing tradition or history.

Iron Pigs, RailRiders, Blue Jackets, Blue Wahoos, Valley Cats, RockHounds, Lumber Kings, Rubber Ducks, Lake Monsters, Golden Knights, etc.

Red Sox? White Sox?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I wouldn't consider those names to be absurd... and they are more than 100 years old.

These other names, they are often casting aside names that had history or really beginning to accumulate tradition.  I wouldnt put it past these minor league "baseball" marketours to cast all these names aside right when it is convenient to do so.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    MayDay10 said:
    I wouldn't consider those names to be absurd... and they are more than 100 years old.

These other names, they are often casting aside names that had history or really beginning to accumulate tradition.  I wouldnt put it past these minor league "baseball" marketours to cast all these names aside right when it is convenient to do so.
    Well...I know "Iron Pigs" sounds stupid but that name is actually deeply rooted in the history Lehigh Valley. And they let the fans vote on the name. Wouldn't be surprised if those other teams had a similar situation. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    My fav out there is Rocket City Trash Pandas!

They were called the Mobile Bay Bears prior.

Oh yeah, they haven't played a single game yet though, lol!
    Image result for trash pandas
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Mobile, AL?  Do they call themselves Rocket City?

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    I just saw some millennial in Boston wearing a Tampa Bay Rowdies shirt. No bullshit. 

I’d forgotten all about the Rowdies. 
    D'oh! A quick Google search shows that the Rowdies are an active team again -- and have been since 2008. :blush:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    mrussel1 said:

Huntsville Al is a major NASA rocket center
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    mrussel1 said:

moved...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    MayDay10 said:
    Even more wtf? than name changes are drastic team color changes. Like when the Buffalo Sabres changed to black, red, & silver for a few years. 
    Unlike now, which the 'style' is retro (which is how it should be)... the mid-late 90s there was that huge Black fad with sports teams colors.  The Sabres fell victim to that...
    Also, the team's original owner was ill, and as NHL salaries grew, John Rigas of Adelphia Communications was floating the team money to remain solvent and was basically the defacto owner... and would become the actual owner shortly after, once Seymour Knox III passed away.  The team was moving into a new arena for 96-97, Rigas bought the team, and I feel he wanted them as his own team.  Changed the colors to black and red (which was adelphia's colors).  The team's history was basically scrubbed.  They rarely did anything acknowledging the past, this day in Sabres history, etc.  Rigas and his family eventually went for prison for corporate fraud.

The worst result of this though was that The Aud was left to rot.  There were a lot of team artifacts, video, audio, etc that was left in there and was destroyed due to moisture, mold, etc.  

The Sabres are going back to royal blue next season (20-21) which will be great
    Damn!  That's some interesting and unfortunate history there.  Sounds like some of the shady shit that cheap bastard Dollar Bill Wirtz used to pull in Chicago.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Huntsville Al is a major NASA rocket center

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Edmonton Eskimos now officially the Edmonton Elks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    erebus said:
    some  random thoughts on sports team names 

maybe the team names should stay with the city
    I have always thought the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz are not really fitting. Give them back to Minni and N.O. Come up with something relevant to the city, Washington Expos just wouldn't work
    I think the Clippers are open to a name change when they move arenas?
    Minnesota Nor Stars great, Wild lame
    Devil Rays great, Rays lame
    Houston Oilers great, Texans meh
    Imagine the Colt .45's still existing, I like the Astros better
    Bullets had to go, but Wizards?????
    Raptors, all time bad,dated name

Redskins and Indians have to go
    I'm okay with Blackhawks and Braves

was hilarious, the CFL had two Roughriders at onetime in an 8 team league

I think when Indy plays in Baltimore, the scoreboard says Indianapolis, not Colts, as they are still mad

just some of my rando thoughts, what are your sporting name pet peeves?
    and just for clarity, the CFL had two Roughrider teams because originally they were in two different leagues; those two leagues became one and voila, two teams with the same name in the same league. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD