Options

Sports teams name changes

Comments

• Options
    MALMÖ IF:

to

MALMÖ REDHAWKS

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited August 2019
    My biggest sports name pet peeve is the trendy 2-name team name that started in the early 00s, hit a peak of absurdity maybe 6 years ago and I think we are getting through it.  It is most prominent in Minor League baseball where the powers that be have taken a giant shit on anything representing tradition or history.

Iron Pigs, RailRiders, Blue Jackets, Blue Wahoos, Valley Cats, RockHounds, Lumber Kings, Rubber Ducks, Lake Monsters, Golden Knights, etc.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    mrussel1 said:
    Bullets became the Wizards
    Washington Bullets Was the BEST name in all of sports.  Perfect for a DC team to be named that.  I was appaled that they changed the name.  Hell, I'm still mad.  Offend some people, I don't give a shit.  That name was great.

Seeing Jordan in a throwback Bullets Jersey is a personal fav of mine and if I had the loot I'd buy a game worn one.
    If I recall,  the name was changed when DC was the murder capital of the country.  I think they thought it was a bad look.  Of course it used to be the Baltimore Bullets way back.  It fits them too.
    Whatever the reason, I still loved that name.

EDIT:  Something messed up about that logo is the "hands Up" on the L's.  Man that is messed up.  I like it even more now.  I'm a bad guy, I know...
    Image result for jordan in bullets jersey
    suppose the ball right above them has nothing to do with it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    MayDay10 said:
    My biggest sports name pet peeve is the trendy 2-name team name that started in the early 00s, hit a peak of absurdity maybe 6 years ago and I think we are getting through it.  It is most prominent in Minor League baseball where the powers that be have taken a giant shit on anything representing tradition or history.

Iron Pigs, RailRiders, Blue Jackets, Blue Wahoos, Valley Cats, RockHounds, Lumber Kings, Rubber Ducks, Lake Monsters, Golden Knights, etc.

Are those all double A besides Columbus? We have the Flying Squirrels here in Richmond,  the Giants AA team.  I thought that was something that league chose to do to be different. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Are those all double A besides Columbus? We have the Flying Squirrels here in Richmond,  the Giants AA team.  I thought that was something that league chose to do to be different. 
    Blue Jackets, Golden Knights are  NHL teams...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Missed the Knights in there.  
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202
    I'm not a fan of teams using 'regions' or 'states' in their team names.  New England, Arizona, Florida, Colorado. there are multiple hockey teams in Florida, you should not be called the Florida Panthers.  

and agree on the double names. not a big fan of that either.  

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    I'm not a fan of teams using 'regions' or 'states' in their team names.  New England, Arizona, Florida, Colorado. there are multiple hockey teams in Florida, you should not be called the Florida Panthers.  

How about the Twins, Lightning,  Bucs, Golden State? All of those?

I liked the California Angels.  I still don't know their official name today. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Iron Pigs and Rail Riders are AAA International League
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Lehigh Valley IronPigs and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders are AAA.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'm not a fan of the singular nickname trend.  Storm, Fire, Force, Lightning, Thunder, Blast.  They sound like flavors of Mountain Dew or Monster Energy.
  • Options
    Is the force,  the Cleveland Force,  the old MISL team?
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the singular nickname trend.  Storm, Fire, Force, Lightning, Thunder, Blast.  They sound like flavors of Mountain Dew or Monster Energy.
    I dont like that one either, but I wasted mine on the 2-name trend.

Yes, those are awful.  It was unique in 1995, but when everyone does it in 2019, it is lame and doesnt set you apart at all.

• Options
    MayDay10 said:

Yes, those are awful.  It was unique in 1995, but when everyone does it in 2019, it is lame and doesnt set you apart at all.

There ain't nothing wrong with the Lightning. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

It was unique when they came along and it fits the area.  It is also much more of a tangible noun than most lame non-plural nickname concepts

But Minnesota Wild is trying too hard and lame, and I never have gotten used to it 20 years later
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

Los Angeles Angels......in Anaheim....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

Los Angeles Angels......in Anaheim....
    Turrible and non sensical
  • Options
    I liked the California Angels and they had a classic look before "Angels in the Outfield" came out

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,024
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Bullets became the Wizards
    Washington Bullets Was the BEST name in all of sports.  Perfect for a DC team to be named that.  I was appaled that they changed the name.  Hell, I'm still mad.  Offend some people, I don't give a shit.  That name was great.

Seeing Jordan in a throwback Bullets Jersey is a personal fav of mine and if I had the loot I'd buy a game worn one.
    If I recall,  the name was changed when DC was the murder capital of the country.  I think they thought it was a bad look.  Of course it used to be the Baltimore Bullets way back.  It fits them too.
    Whatever the reason, I still loved that name.

EDIT:  Something messed up about that logo is the "hands Up" on the L's.  Man that is messed up.  I like it even more now.  I'm a bad guy, I know...
    Image result for jordan in bullets jersey
    suppose the ball right above them has nothing to do with it.
    I was being facetious.  In this day and age everyone gets pissed about something, people could go the extra length to find the image offensive.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,024
    MayDay10 said:
    I liked the California Angels and they had a classic look before "Angels in the Outfield" came out

The CA was my favorite.  It was the second design from 65 when they first came to Anaheim and brought back in the mid 90's.

Tim Salmon baby!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Can't help but think of the opening narration of BASEketball…..

"The Oilers moved to Tennessee...where there is no oil, the Lakers moved to Los Angeles...where there are no lakes, and the Jazz moved to Utah...where they don't allow music."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Correct, nothing wrong with Lightning

but hate when announcers abbreviate it to The 'NING, or the Canes or the Raps

didn't Tampa have a Ning 3rd jersey?
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    mrussel1 said:
    pjhawks said:

The Minneapolis - Saint Paul Twins might be too long for the jerseys

as is Knickerbockers and Metropolitans I guess....
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    erebus said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MayDay10 said:

Correct, nothing wrong with Lightning

but hate when announcers abbreviate it to The 'NING, or the Canes or the Raps

didn't Tampa have a Ning 3rd jersey?
    Yeah we used to call them the Ning when I lived there in the 90s. I hear more Bolts on tv now, but locals still say 'ning...  it never bothered me,  but I was/am a huge fan.

I don't recall a Jersey with those words on it but maybe.  I like the straight black ones they sported on Saturday nights last season. 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    The Utah Jazz.  Not that I'm hating on the name, but they moved from New Orleans, where that name makes a lot more sense.  That would be like the Tennessee Titans keeping the Oilers name.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106
    edited August 2019
    Speaking of jerseys, it drove me crazy in the NBA Finals with the North jerseys and the Town jerseys. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    erebus said:
    I do like when the Hurricanes wear the Whalers jerseys

Bring back the Whale and the Nordiques (it's a shame, they have a new arena, move a sunbelt team)

Florida Panthers can move to Quebec City
    Tampa Rays to Montreal
    Quebec sends back unlimited poutine, maple syrup and snowbirds
    Montreal could not keep the Expos the 1st time.  What makes you think they survive a 2nd time.  And who is going to build a stadium?  I know there is the talk of Tampa/Montreal splitting the home games...but still who is going to buiuld a baseball stadium for 40 games...It is something Trudeau would do since math is not his strong suit.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    erebus said:
    I do like when the Hurricanes wear the Whalers jerseys

Bring back the Whale and the Nordiques (it's a shame, they have a new arena, move a sunbelt team)

Florida Panthers can move to Quebec City
    Tampa Rays to Montreal
    Quebec sends back unlimited poutine, maple syrup and snowbirds
    Montreal could not keep the Expos the 1st time.  What makes you think they survive a 2nd time.  And who is going to build a stadium?  I know there is the talk of Tampa/Montreal splitting the home games...but still who is going to buiuld a baseball stadium for 40 games...It is something Trudeau would do since math is not his strong suit.
    True.. and the reality is that although the Trop gets grief, if you are sitting there watching a game, it's perfectly fine.  The sight lines are good, seats are comfortable, plenty of food and...it's air conditioned.  The problem with the Trop are the lack of luxury boxes that sell and, most importantly, the location.  If they built a stadium like Miami's in Hillsborough, people would go.  

Now when the Lightning played there for a few years, after moving out of the Expo center, that really sucked.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I just saw some millennial in Boston wearing a Tampa Bay Rowdies shirt. No bullshit. 

I’d forgotten all about the Rowdies. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Being from New Jersey I hate that my favorite football team is named  the New York Giants.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......