Options

Sports teams name changes

erebuserebus Posts: 549
edited August 2019 in All Encompassing Trip
some  random thoughts on sports team names 

maybe the team names should stay with the city
I have always thought the Los Angeles Lakers and Utah Jazz are not really fitting. Give them back to Minni and N.O. Come up with something relevant to the city, Washington Expos just wouldn't work
I think the Clippers are open to a name change when they move arenas?
Minnesota Nor Stars great, Wild lame
Devil Rays great, Rays lame
Houston Oilers great, Texans meh
Imagine the Colt .45's still existing, I like the Astros better
Bullets had to go, but Wizards?????
Raptors, all time bad,dated name

Redskins and Indians have to go
I'm okay with Blackhawks and Braves

was hilarious, the CFL had two Roughriders at onetime in an 8 team league

I think when Indy plays in Baltimore, the scoreboard says Indianapolis, not Colts, as they are still mad

just some of my rando thoughts, what are your sporting name pet peeves?
1996: Toronto
2003: St. Paul
2005: Thunder Bay
2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
2010: Boston
2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
2012: Missoula
2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
Post edited by erebus on

Comments

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    There is a team named the red bulls isn't there?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Tribe ain't going anywhere. 

Pelicans is the worst name,  followed by the Ducks. 
  • Options
    I agree , Pelicans and The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are ridiculous
    I can live with the Oregon Ducks for some reason

are there plans to phase out Chief Wahoo?
    I seem to recall them not being allowed to wear that patch when they visited the Blue Jays
  • Options
    erebus said:
    I agree , Pelicans and The Mighty Ducks of Anaheim are ridiculous
    I can live with the Oregon Ducks for some reason

are there plans to phase out Chief Wahoo?
    I seem to recall them not being allowed to wear that patch when they visited the Blue Jays
    It's off official merchandise.  It's likely that mlb traded the all star game this year for that concession.  I can tell you that Wahoo is beloved in Cleveland and we won't forget it. 
  • Options
    And Oregon Ducks is fine.  It's just annoying that Disney parlayed a movie intro a sports franchise. 
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    edited August 2019
    I'm not a fan of the Pelicans name myself, but at least it has some local significance for NOLA/La.

And it gave Hornets back to Charlotte. They suck with either name, but it's easier for me to pull for Hornets instead of Bobcats.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yes, but the Jazz named should have stayed in N.O as opposed to Utah where it has no significance whatsoever

I wonder what the new Seattle NHL team will be called
    Post edited by erebus on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Bullets became the Wizards
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    erebus said:
    Yes, but the Jazz named should have stayed in N.O as opposed to Utah where it has no significance whatsoever

I wonder what the new Seattle NHL team will be called
    Not disagreeing with you on the Jazz, but with Utah not giving up the name, you gotta find something else.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Washington Bullets Was the BEST name in all of sports.  Perfect for a DC team to be named that.  I was appaled that they changed the name.  Hell, I'm still mad.  Offend some people, I don't give a shit.  That name was great.

Seeing Jordan in a throwback Bullets Jersey is a personal fav of mine and if I had the loot I'd buy a game worn one.
  • Options
    Washington Bullets Was the BEST name in all of sports.  Perfect for a DC team to be named that.  I was appaled that they changed the name.  Hell, I'm still mad.  Offend some people, I don't give a shit.  That name was great.

Seeing Jordan in a throwback Bullets Jersey is a personal fav of mine and if I had the loot I'd buy a game worn one.
    If I recall,  the name was changed when DC was the murder capital of the country.  I think they thought it was a bad look.  Of course it used to be the Baltimore Bullets way back.  It fits them too.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:

If I recall,  the name was changed when DC was the murder capital of the country.  I think they thought it was a bad look.  Of course it used to be the Baltimore Bullets way back.  It fits them too.
    Whatever the reason, I still loved that name.

EDIT:  Something messed up about that logo is the "hands Up" on the L's.  Man that is messed up.  I like it even more now.  I'm a bad guy, I know...
    Image result for jordan in bullets jersey
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Wizards is the prob the worst team name in the 4 major US sports....just awful.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    The Texans tried to get back the Oilers name, but that A-hole Bud Adams wouldn’t allow it. It pisses me off every time the Titans wear the throwback Oilers jerseys. Fuck that.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    The Texans tried to get back the Oilers name, but that A-hole Bud Adams wouldn’t allow it. It pisses me off every time the Titans wear the throwback Oilers jerseys. Fuck that.
    Throwback Jerseys for another state are just silly to me.  Do you want to be in Tennessee with a damn oil rig on your jersey?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I do like when the Hurricanes wear the Whalers jerseys

Bring back the Whale and the Nordiques (it's a shame, they have a new arena, move a sunbelt team)

Florida Panthers can move to Quebec City
    Tampa Rays to Montreal
    Quebec sends back unlimited poutine, maple syrup and snowbirds
    Post edited by erebus on
  • Options
    erebus said:

Bring back the Whale and the Nordiques (it's a shame, they have a new arena, move a sunbelt team)

Tampa Rays to Montreal
    No way.  Lightning are among the league leaders in attendance for 20 years. They are supported well.  Why would Montreal,  a metro of less than 2 million,  need a second team? Tampa metro has over 3 and is still growing. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The Bullets were named after the Phoenix Shot Tower and Baltimore's role in producing small diameter shot.  It's totally dumb and disrespectful that they changed the name.
  • Options
    Any time a team changes their name from a specific native tribe to something like "Hawks" pisses me off.  University of North Dakota is a prime example.  This was a school that was fully endorsed by the tribe to use the nickname. The Sioux Tribe of the Dakotas also sent a letter to the NCAA stating that if they didn't allow the school to continue using the name and logo, they were the ones who are racist.  I completely agree.  This same shit pops up every couple years with Florida State, who are also endorsed by the Seminole Tribe of Florida.  Apparently you can't name teams in honor of native tribes and be endorsed by said tribes... but Redskins is still ok.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Any time a team changes their name from a specific native tribe to something like "Hawks" pisses me off.  University of North Dakota is a prime example.  This was a school that was fully endorsed by the tribe to use the nickname. The Sioux Tribe of the Dakotas also sent a letter to the NCAA stating that if they didn't allow the school to continue using the name and logo, they were the ones who are racist.  I completely agree.  This same shit pops up every couple years with Florida State, who are also endorsed by the Seminole Tribe of Florida.  Apparently you can't name teams in honor of native tribes and be endorsed by said tribes... but Redskins is still ok.
    Go Gators!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    https://spiremagazine.com/2017/11/27/lets-talk-about-the-seminoles/
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    ed243421 said:
    And?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    ed243421 said:
    And?
    You can tell it's an FSU publication from all the misspellings and grammatical errors.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    erebus said:

Tampa Rays to Montreal
    No way.  Lightning are among the league leaders in attendance for 20 years. They are supported well.  Why would Montreal,  a metro of less than 2 million,  need a second team? Tampa metro has over 3 and is still growing. 
    No, I meant the Panthers in an NHL move to QC, yes the Lightning are well supported

the Rays or Marlins to Montreal in MLB as both cannot draw crowds

• Options
    dankind said:
    ed243421 said:
    And?
    You can tell it's an FSU publication from all the misspellings and grammatical errors.
    Probably hired an editor from UF.
  • Options
    erebus said:
    mrussel1 said:
    erebus said:

Tampa Rays to Montreal
    No, I meant the Panthers in an NHL move to QC, yes the Lightning are well supported

the Rays or Marlins to Montreal in MLB as both cannot draw crowds

Sorry misread. 

The Rays would be supported if they were allowed to move out of that shitty St Pete and either to Channelside or even to Brandon where 75 and 4 interest.  Then you would get new Tampa and Orlando in your market.  St. Pete is just too inconvenient for the population center. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    Malroth said:
    MLS team from New York, yes
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    MLS team from New York, yes
    They do well here too.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Cleveland should have never varied from the Spiders or the Naps
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    Las Vegas Raiders starting next year.  Sounds weird. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.