Do you really see a shitty world out there?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Louis Armstrong, a black man recording in 1967 in the midst of the war in Vietnam, sang "What a Wonderful World" so genuinely as to make it seem like it really was wonderful.  Maybe we need more of that and less, "What a Shi-i-ty World".  It is shitty, but it's wonderful too.
    But it wasnt wonderful. You were napalming children. 

Hiding behind a lie to not face reality is ofc the core of the US society with the ”American Dream” etc. But still. 

Facing reality is important me thinks.
    Yeah Brian,  how could you think the world was wonderful while YOU were napalming children?  Face reality man.  This is why ABBA and Ace of Base spent their entire careers writing songs of atonement. 

Good job,  SC. You set him straight and made more friends. 

Lol.  The ability to have a normal conversation eludes some of us. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Louis Armstrong, a black man recording in 1967 in the midst of the war in Vietnam, sang "What a Wonderful World" so genuinely as to make it seem like it really was wonderful.  Maybe we need more of that and less, "What a Shi-i-ty World".  It is shitty, but it's wonderful too.

Hiding behind a lie to not face reality is ofc the core of the US society with the ”American Dream” etc. But still. 

Yeah Brian,  how could you think the world was wonderful while YOU were napalming children?  Face reality man.  This is why ABBA and Ace of Base spent their entire careers writing songs of atonement. 

Well, love is a rose. But you better not pick it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

Man, you missed the point by a mile.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

:plus_one:   :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

HEY!!!   I'm in the room you know.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That I do.  How do you drive an 18 wheeler and post?
    edited August 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

That I do.  How do you drive an 18 wheeler and post?
    I drive nights. with frequent stops going terminal to terminal. like now, sitting in Indy waiting for my load home.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    in my day to day work i see alot of sad things that can make people think that the world is a shitty place but I have faith in people ( maybe a stupid thing to say) 

I try to look at the positive side of life.  Yes there are horrible things like climate change, genocide, disease, war but what keeps me going is that I know so many people who fight against these things.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I recently watched a documentary on the musical "Come From Away" ...
    The planes that were in the air were diverted after 9/11 and the US closed its airspace.

They showed a video clip of a fellow playing guitar and singing entertaining the stranded passengers...

The musician made a great comment, he said "we were just watching on TV the worst of humans, and we are also seeing the best of humans, right here"... that is so true...often tragic events also bring out the best of humans.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The planes that were in the air were diverted after 9/11 and the US closed its airspace.

They showed a video clip of a fellow playing guitar and singing entertaining the stranded passengers...

The musician made a great comment, he said "we were just watching on TV the worst of humans, and we are also seeing the best of humans, right here"... that is so true...often tragic events also bring out the best of humans.
    Great story- thanks!

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054

What a wonderful example to use! Sure, there is shit out there, but this story exemplifies “the capacity for human kindness in even the darkest of times and the triumph of humanity over hate”
    I saw the play and I loved it, I laughed and I cried.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Renfield said:

What a wonderful example to use! Sure, there is shit out there, but this story exemplifies “the capacity for human kindness in even the darkest of times and the triumph of humanity over hate”
    Agreed. It almost brought out a sense of Canadian patriotism which I quickly recognized in myself and made a point of snuffing. It did make me proud of a select bunch of truly beautiful humans and the good they did for people in an awful and scary situation. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    ;)

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    benjs said:
    Renfield said:
    Agreed. It almost brought out a sense of Canadian patriotism which I quickly recognized in myself and made a point of snuffing. It did make me proud of a select bunch of truly beautiful humans and the good they did for people in an awful and scary situation. 
    <3

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    yes
    The world is very sheety.

My wie is a language arts teacher and put a "wishlist" of books on Amazon for her classroom; some random stranger sent her a $100 gift card!  There is hope!!!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mcgruff10 said:
    My wie is a language arts teacher and put a "wishlist" of books on Amazon for her classroom; some random stranger sent her a $100 gift card!  There is hope!!!
    I believe!
    mcgruff10 said:
    my SiL is a teacher in newport news
     she posted a gofundme thing for 2 area rugs in her classroom. $300 funded in a day and a half?

A woman I know found a middle east carpet at a yard sale for $10.  She had it appraised and sold it for several hundred dollars.  She later went back to the house where the yard sale was and gave the guy half the money she got for the carpet. 

Another story I was told was the time my wife's business partner found a large batch of kids books for sale.  The seller wanted something like $25 for the lot and the partner said, "Those are worth a lot more then that" and gave her $100 for the lot.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    the world is as it always has been. just now our bubbles have been popped and we don't like the new air we have to breathe. it's like our own real version of the matrix. 

TAKE THE BLUE PILL. TAKE THE BLUE PILL. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

the world is as it always has been. just now our bubbles have been popped and we don't like the new air we have to breathe. it's like our own real version of the matrix. 

Hmm... is it the one that makes you larger, or the one that makes you small, or is it the one mother gives you that doesn't do anything at all?

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:

Hmm... is it the one that makes you larger, or the one that makes you small, or is it the one mother gives you that doesn't do anything at all?
    And you've just had some kind of mushroom...
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

And you've just had some kind of mushroom...
    Amazing, I have not that kind.  A particular cactus, an herb, yes.  But only ordinary store bought mushrooms. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2019
    Yup. It is one of the main reasons I will never have children. I would not feel right subjecting them to what is bound to be an even shittier future. That doesn't mean I can't still see the good things in life though, and the beauty.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Oh geez. Is this stupidity still going on? Now I'm sorry I dropped by.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my SiL is a teacher in newport news
     she posted a gofundme thing for 2 area rugs in her classroom. $300 funded in a day and a half?
    awesome!!!