Nirvana. Overrated?

1234568»

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    How was the 2013 in utero mix versus the album?

I puke on remixes. Stand by your art. That includes ten.
    I don't like the In Utero remix but I prefer the remastered version.
    As for Ten, I love the Redux version more than the original or the remastered version. I only listen to a Redux now.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019

As for Ten, I love the Redux version more than the original or the remastered version. I only listen to a Redux now.
    Are you one of those miserable people who prefer the SE cut of Terminator 2 over the TC?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I enjoy new mixes on old albums (like these new Beatles mixes Giles Martin has been doing).

you get so familiar with these records, that you just kinda stop appreciating them in a certain way, or you just get burnt out on them. But a new mix can put a fresh perspective on something that either makes you re-examine it, or at least gives it a fresh life again. 

I feel eel like the new In Utero mix does that. Ten Redux too. 

Are you one of those miserable people who prefer the SE cut of Terminator 2 over the TC?
    Haha. Don't know the difference. I only watch it if it's on the TV. Don't own it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I enjoy new mixes on old albums (like these new Beatles mixes Giles Martin has been doing).

you get so familiar with these records, that you just kinda stop appreciating them in a certain way, or you just get burnt out on them. But a new mix can put a fresh perspective on something that either makes you re-examine it, or at least gives it a fresh life again. 

I feel eel like the new In Utero mix does that. Ten Redux too. 
    Sgt. Pepper and White Album remixes are sp amazing. My go to versions. Giles did a tremendous job. Speaking of which, I don't think Abbey road needs a remix. My 2009 version sounds fine.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Properly rated while Kurt was alive, absolutely overrated ever since.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    I prefer Bleach over In Utero.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I think I'd rather drink bleach than listen to it.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    https://youtu.be/3KSZ4irsrvY
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    No. They were the ones that got recognition first, but Soundgarden did it better and for longer. I don't consider PJ the same music, but their return to a more raw rock sound was a part of the revolution.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    rummy said:
    This thread is pointless, we'll never come to an agreement. You have those that love Nirvana and those that don't. Agree to disagree.
    Pretty much all threads on the internet are pointless in the end.

LOL, I was just thinking the same.  Except, I will say I think on-line discussions sometime do reveal new information I hadn't known about, and they often challenge me to re-evaluate how I think about some things and also give me the opportunity to refine my communications about things I do feel strongly about.  I don't know if everyone looks at it that way, but I do know others do.

As for this particular subject though, yeah, I'd say Thoughts nailed it:  for the most part, people are either fans of Nirvana or thy're not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    This thread is pointless, we'll never come to an agreement. You have those that love Nirvana and those that don't. Agree to disagree.

LOL, I was just thinking the same.  Except, I will say I think on-line discussions sometime do reveal new information I hadn't known about, and they often challenge me to re-evaluate how I think about some things and also give me the opportunity to refine my communications about things I do feel strongly about.  I don't know if everyone looks at it that way, but I do know others do.

As for this particular subject though, yeah, I'd say Thoughts nailed it:  for the most part, people are either fans of Nirvana or thy're not.
    I would disagree wholeheartedly with what rummy said. if it were not for this place, I wouldn't have HALF the knowledge about current and historical events that I do now. I have learned an immense about a whole variety of topics from being a member here over the years, from politics to the environment to pearl jam socks. it has even helped shape how I view the world, and subsequently how I pass that on to my kids. 

I wasn't at all politically engaged before visiting the AMT all those years ago. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:

I would disagree wholeheartedly with what rummy said. if it were not for this place, I wouldn't have HALF the knowledge about current and historical events that I do now. I have learned an immense about a whole variety of topics from being a member here over the years, from politics to the environment to pearl jam socks. it has even helped shape how I view the world, and subsequently how I pass that on to my kids. 

I wasn't at all politically engaged before visiting the AMT all those years ago. 
    Obviously (well maybe not) I was overstating the idea. Unless we go down the avenue of "we-all-die-in-the-end-so-nothing-really-matters" but that might be a little to bleak.

In any event, yes, lots of good people and ideas out there. Lots of poop, too.
    Post edited by rummy on
    Good songs on Bleach but the production is too tough for me. Live versions are where it's at for these tunes.
    JimmyV said:
    Properly rated while Kurt was alive, absolutely overrated ever since.
    Probably correct.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:

I must confess, I read these recent comments after a particularly bad interaction on another forum site.  I should not let those experiences taint my perceptions.  I too have learned much here and elsewhere.  Sometimes I let the bad experiences bother me too much.  You'd think I'd learn by now not to.  Tête du bois!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.