America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    Oh look! Another “responsible” gun owner. And a white male. Don’t forget your bullet proof backpack and bleed out kits boys and girls.

https://apple.news/A7hpPKC_8R0upSP0MPknttA
    Did he actually make threats?  I thought he was speaking matter of fact?

The guy I'm sure has a screw loose but if that is all he wrote in that article then I would say we have a problem w government and yes, they will come knocking on your door.

Someone else talked about the Red Flag laws and where do they stop and start?  This case is as good as any to start that discussion.
    Is this the type of “responsible” you expect from a “responsible” gun owner?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/08/14/feds-ohio-man-who-threatened-agents-lived-gun-filled-house/2005847001/
    Same person, same vague statement in the article.  If you can find time to answer my question now, thanks.
    He wrote, “that he supported mass shootings and attacks on Planned Parenthood.” Again, do you consider that “responsible” of a “responsible” gun owner. Now, can you find the time to answer my question? Thanks.

He never did anything with the guns so he is still responsible.

He may be a nut but he didn't do anything wrong.

I really wish they would quote what he actually said because things get twisted when reporting things 2nd hand.

This is walking the slippery slope and using him as an example will help tilt things in your favor but in reality he didn't do anything with his guns.

Thankfully they were only "rifles".  Lord help us if they mentioned "assault" or AR or AK rifles!!!  Then this story would really have some meat to it.

I’m sure someone with the time and better research skills could find the court filing that might just reference or quote verbatim his online posts. What I find interesting is that your reaction appears to be “meh.” Do you think he should undergo a mental health assessment? And, provided the reporting is accurate regarding his online posts, is he indicative of a “responsible” gun owner? Your answer is a “yes” I believe. Maybe I should poll those “responsible” gun owners and see how great the potential divide?
    You asked if they are a responsible gun owner?  Yes.  Nothing proves that they are otherwise.

If you ask me should they be allowed to own guns would be different all together.

If you asked me is he a responsible person that is also something different.

Ask about their character is different then asking about what they did or didn't do with their guns.

Edit:

Asking a polling question about public opinion is much different than actual rules of law.  Poll away though.
    How do your argue that those comments online are responsible?
    Who's arguing that they are?  I'm not in the slightest.
    And yet you consider the suspect a “responsible” gun owner? 

Is he a responsible driver?
    Gee, I don’t know? Has he had his license suspended? Or post about how he was going to drive his legally modified Hummer with the cattle catcher grill down the sidewalk during the 4th of July parade or drive it through the entrance of a planned Parenthood on abortion day?

Exactly.  If he did,  then yes that would make him an irresponsible car/ truck/ van owner. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    mrussel1 said:
    Oh look! Another “responsible” gun owner. And a white male. Don’t forget your bullet proof backpack and bleed out kits boys and girls.

The guy I'm sure has a screw loose but if that is all he wrote in that article then I would say we have a problem w government and yes, they will come knocking on your door.

Someone else talked about the Red Flag laws and where do they stop and start?  This case is as good as any to start that discussion.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/08/14/feds-ohio-man-who-threatened-agents-lived-gun-filled-house/2005847001/
    Same person, same vague statement in the article.  If you can find time to answer my question now, thanks.
    He wrote, “that he supported mass shootings and attacks on Planned Parenthood.” Again, do you consider that “responsible” of a “responsible” gun owner. Now, can you find the time to answer my question? Thanks.

I really wish they would quote what he actually said because things get twisted when reporting things 2nd hand.

This is walking the slippery slope and using him as an example will help tilt things in your favor but in reality he didn't do anything with his guns.

Thankfully they were only "rifles".  Lord help us if they mentioned "assault" or AR or AK rifles!!!  Then this story would really have some meat to it.

I’m sure someone with the time and better research skills could find the court filing that might just reference or quote verbatim his online posts. What I find interesting is that your reaction appears to be “meh.” Do you think he should undergo a mental health assessment? And, provided the reporting is accurate regarding his online posts, is he indicative of a “responsible” gun owner? Your answer is a “yes” I believe. Maybe I should poll those “responsible” gun owners and see how great the potential divide?
    You asked if they are a responsible gun owner?  Yes.  Nothing proves that they are otherwise.

If you ask me should they be allowed to own guns would be different all together.

Ask about their character is different then asking about what they did or didn't do with their guns.

Edit:

Asking a polling question about public opinion is much different than actual rules of law.  Poll away though.

Gee, I don’t know? Has he had his license suspended? Or post about how he was going to drive his legally modified Hummer with the cattle catcher grill down the sidewalk during the 4th of July parade or drive it through the entrance of a planned Parenthood on abortion day?

Did he say he was going to gun down people?  The article doesn't site that either so he is a responsible gun owner...

Now if you want to assume something then that is also different altogether...
    He threatened the lives of federal law enforcement officers, spoke approvingly of mass shootings and sung the praises of two shit bag domestic terrorists. Threatening to “gun down people” is the crossed
    line? Or is it to wait and see?
    You just keep on coming up with more and more what if questions.  Not sure what you are digging for?  My answer isn't going to change until he uses a firearm in a crime and then he is not a responsible gun owner.

Law enforcement did exactly what they should do about threats like his.  Arrest and detain him.

It is due process.  I think it's in that piece of paper somewhere?  The one we are to abide by?  That government abides by?

Stop going by that piece of paper and you can round up whomever you want on any sort of whim.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    mrussel1 said:

Edit:

Did he say he was going to gun down people?  The article doesn't site that either so he is a responsible gun owner...

He threatened the lives of federal law enforcement officers, spoke approvingly of mass shootings and sung the praises of two shit bag domestic terrorists. Threatening to “gun down people” is the crossed
    You just keep on coming up with more and more what if questions.  Not sure what you are digging for?  My answer isn't going to change until he uses a firearm in a crime and then he is not a responsible gun owner.

Law enforcement did exactly what they should do about threats like his.  Arrest and detain him.

It is due process.  I think it's in that piece of paper somewhere?  The one we are to abide by?  That government abides by?

Stop going by that piece of paper and you can round up whomever you want on any sort of whim.
    And all this time I thought being a “responsible” gun owner meant that you understood the power and capability you (in the general sense) held in your hand and that there were some assumptions or principles that should guide the “responsible” gun owner. Things like always assuming a gun is loaded when handling it, knowing what is down range beyond your target, using it for its intended purpose and if you brandish it to protect yourself, to be prepared morally and legally to shoot someone with death and the legal repercussions, and to not brandish your firearm in a fit of anger or use it to intimidate or threaten. In other words, be “responsible.” Good to know that the ethos of the “responsible” gun owner no longer applies.

Some poster was lamenting about what has changed in America regarding guns and gun culture. I’d argue that way back in the way back when, guns were revered as an awesome power with all of its associated responsibilities, less guns but more gun owners. Now? It’s just another object, to be treated as a mere object that everyone should have the right to possess, to hell with “responsibility” or accountability, in this age of less gun owners but more guns. De-evolution.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:

Edit:

And all this time I thought being a “responsible” gun owner meant that you understood the power and capability you (in the general sense) held in your hand and that there were some assumptions or principles that should guide the “responsible” gun owner. Things like always assuming a gun is loaded when handling it, knowing what is down range beyond your target, using it for its intended purpose and if you brandish it to protect yourself, to be prepared morally and legally to shoot someone with death and the legal repercussions, and to not brandish your firearm in a fit of anger or use it to intimidate or threaten. In other words, be “responsible.” Good to know that the ethos of the “responsible” gun owner no longer applies.

Some poster was lamenting about what has changed in America regarding guns and gun culture. I’d argue that way back in the way back when, guns were revered as an awesome power with all of its associated responsibilities, less guns but more gun owners. Now? It’s just another object, to be treated as a mere object that everyone should have the right to possess, to hell with “responsibility” or accountability, in this age of less gun owners but more guns. De-evolution.

I was waiting for the redirect.  Very nice.

Your first paragraph?  This person didn't do any of that.  He threatened law enforcement but I don't know how, I don't have all the facts.

Again, he is not a responsible person for obvious reasons.  The guns didn't do anything.

You can't break down the situation and askew what actually happened to fit your own agenda counselor.

You keep bending words to make them fit.

^^^^^^^^ Too many characters in the quote feature. My response:

I asked a very basic yes or no question, initially. You danced around and eventually answered. Your response is part of why nothing changes and nothing can be done. When you have the time, would you mind answering about whether the accused should undergo a mental health evaluation?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©

I asked a very basic yes or no question, initially. You danced around and eventually answered. Your response is part of why nothing changes and nothing can be done. When you have the time, would you mind answering about whether the accused should undergo a mental health evaluation?
    No, because I'm not a psychiatrist, psychologist or mental health expert.

I didn't dance around shit.  I flat out told you he was still a responsible gun owner.  YOU danced around and kept digging and asking other questions yet I still answered the same yes.  

There's your dancing around, no "yes" or "no."

Brilliantati©

I didn't dance around shit.  I flat out told you he was still a responsible gun owner.  YOU danced around and kept digging and asking other questions yet I still answered the same yes.  
    So you answered no because you're not a mental health professional? WTF? That's why you send them to a mental health expert or a panel of them. Seems you're okay with a person who stockpiled weapons and ammunition and made online threats, inclusive of to federal law enforcement officers, resulting in arrest, and you don't think they should be subject to a mental health evaluation? Is that right?

Brilliantati©

There's your dancing around, no "yes" or "no."
    I answered the question 5 times I believe.  This was me saying that both articles were vague but I did answer your question.

So you answered no because you're not a mental health professional? WTF? That's why you send them to a mental health expert or a panel of them. Seems you're okay with a person who stockpiled weapons and ammunition and made online threats, inclusive of to federal law enforcement officers, resulting in arrest, and you don't think they should be subject to a mental health evaluation? Is that right?
    I am not an expert in mental health so why on earth would I recommend or think that he should?

I do believe how the law works is that a person does go to evaluation to make sure they are fit for trial and does see a behavioral expert?

Is there a part of that you want changed?

You are asking me about what the law should do and dictate but the law is already there.  It sounds like you want mental health questions factored in for everyone that owns a gun?  Is that what you are getting at? 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

I am not an expert in mental health so why on earth would I recommend or think that he should?

I do believe how the law works is that a person does go to evaluation to make sure they are fit for trial and does see a behavioral expert?

You are asking me about what the law should do and dictate but the law is already there.  It sounds like you want mental health questions factored in for everyone that owns a gun?  Is that what you are getting at? 
    Police officers take a psychological exam. It varies state to state, county to county. It's probably not a bad idea to apply that to all potential gun owners. Maybe you're onto something.
  • Copy Swedish gun laws

Paste
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Quote feature fucked up.

Brilliantati©

I don't believe the mental health and behavioral evaluation(s) are part of the process, unless its a defense request in a potential mental illness/insanity defense. As a matter of intake? Perhaps a cursory, "have you ever harmed yourself?" "Are you suicidal?" I think anyone who stockpiles a large number of weapons and ammo, has the FBI investigate them and ends up being charged for threatening law enforcement, should be subject to a comprehensive mental health exam. Anyone purchasing a firearm should be required to attest, under threat of perjury, that they're of "sound mind and body" with a doctor's note from a primary care physician, and do so under renewal of license. Both would have an appeals process with the involvement of law enforcement, the medical community and a judge or judges.

Brilliantati©
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited August 2019
    FYI: we have mental health background checks in New Jersey before purchasing a firearm.   Good law imo
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    vaggar99 said:
    But where are your thoughts 👀
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    vaggar99 said:
    But where are your thoughts 👀
    Mine just arrived

Here's a thought - this seems to be happening too frequently with no action. How about at the very least passing  H.R. 8 that would expand background checks by closing a loophole that allows as many as one-fifth of gun sales over the internet and at gun shows to go unchecked? The measure has already passed the House and is being blocked by Moscow Mitch from Senate consideration.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    vaggar99 said:
    Not hard enough. Pray harder.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    People here are actually arguing that a person charged with making threats against law enforcement is a responsible gun owner?

Yikes.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:
    People here are actually arguing that a person charged with making threats against law enforcement is a responsible gun owner?

Yikes.
    Yes, because he didn’t actually do anything with them yet. 

We generally call that “too late”.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dignin said:

Yikes.
    Some are on the correct side of the argument but nothing can be done.

Brilliantati©
    dignin said:

Yikes.
    What did he do illegally with his firearms?
    Just more “responsible” gun owners going about their days.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/us/st-louis-child-homicides/index.html

Brilliantati©
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    This argument feels circular and redundant.  The good news is that he's in the can,  the guns are out of his control,  and if convicted with a felony,  he'll not be able to possess again legally.  I think we can all agree that's a good thing. 
    mrussel1 said:
    This argument feels circular and redundant.  The good news is that he's in the can,  the guns are out of his control,  and if convicted with a felony,  he'll not be able to possess again legally.  I think we can all agree that's a good thing. 
    Agreed.
    From Friday, above, to today, below.

Brilliantati©
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    No more hostages, just the shooter who is barricaded inside. 
This discussion has been closed.