Do you really see a shitty world out there?

It’s almost taken as a given now when a talking head says something to the effect of, “our country (usa) is more divided than we’ve ever been”. There are a lot of different places one can go with this statement, but I really don’t see that much conflict on a day to day basis. Here’s where I’m coming from and here are some observations...

I’m a 30 something year old attorney from Connecticut. I’m a white guy. 
All the people I went to law school with are employed. 
All the guys from my three men’s league hockey teams are employed, and of about 40 different guys, 3-4 aren’t really settled in at career track jobs. 
The people who I know that are in financial difficulties are all clients of mine. 
My client base is made up of about 250 active clients, I would say 55%-60% are black. 
There are plenty of black lawyers in my area, so of any of my clients gave a flying hoot about wanting a black lawyer, they sure as shit wouldn’t hire me. I dont have any black people who are racist towards white people in my life. 
Of my friends, I have one white friend who I would truly consider a racist towards black people.
Of my friends and acquaintances, almost all the white, hard core libs, would say that same shit that Biden did about poor kids being just as smart as white kids. It’s serious soft bigotry of low expectation bullshit. 
My chance of being killed by a mass shooter are pretty low. I have 5000% higher chance of specifically being killed by an angry client of something. The chance of me being randomly killed or killed at war is historically low. 
I get really depressed sometimes, but it’s always the result of some personal or interpersonal issues, not a societal one. 
I’m much more prone to think this world is going to hell in a handbasket after watching the news. 

The huge negative societal issue that I run into on a day to day and year to year is the complete cycle of hopeless amongst a huge majority of the black community. Subpar schooling, fatherlessness, young mothers, violence, joblessness, poverty and no hope of getting out. If I was to structure political views and plans just around what I see, this would be issue number 1. 

Most of all, the world I see on tv sounds appreciably worse than the one I see with my eyes, just wondering if it’s the same with you guys. 

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    edited August 2019
    lbpeltz said:
    It’s almost taken as a given now when a talking head says something to the effect of, “our country (usa) is more divided than we’ve ever been”. There are a lot of different places one can go with this statement, but I really don’t see that much conflict on a day to day basis. Here’s where I’m coming from and here are some observations...

All the guys from my three men’s league hockey teams are employed, and of about 40 different guys, 3-4 aren’t really settled in at career track jobs. 
    The people who I know that are in financial difficulties are all clients of mine. 
    My client base is made up of about 250 active clients, I would say 55%-60% are black. 
    There are plenty of black lawyers in my area, so of any of my clients gave a flying hoot about wanting a black lawyer, they sure as shit wouldn’t hire me. I dont have any black people who are racist towards white people in my life. 
    Of my friends, I have one white friend who I would truly consider a racist towards black people.
    Of my friends and acquaintances, almost all the white, hard core libs, would say that same shit that Biden did about poor kids being just as smart as white kids. It’s serious soft bigotry of low expectation bullshit. 
    My chance of being killed by a mass shooter are pretty low. I have 5000% higher chance of specifically being killed by an angry client of something. The chance of me being randomly killed or killed at war is historically low. 
    I get really depressed sometimes, but it’s always the result of some personal or interpersonal issues, not a societal one. 
    I’m much more prone to think this world is going to hell in a handbasket after watching the news. 

The huge negative societal issue that I run into on a day to day and year to year is the complete cycle of hopeless amongst a huge majority of the black community. Subpar schooling, fatherlessness, young mothers, violence, joblessness, poverty and no hope of getting out. If I was to structure political views and plans just around what I see, this would be issue number 1. 

Most of all, the world I see on tv sounds appreciably worse than the one I see with my eyes, just wondering if it’s the same with you guys. 

First of all, lbpeltz, welcome to the monkey house.  Nice to see a fresh presence here.

I don't watch much TV any more but if that's all I had to go on in terms of viewing the world, I would make as quick and painless an exit from this plain as possible.  So yes, when I do on rare occasion watch the TV news, I see a world worse than the world I walk around in. 

On the other hand, were I to be stuck in certain parts of the world- a really rough ghetto or a place wracked with disease- that world might seem  worse than TV.  It's a big damn world.  Despite the things I don't like about it, I'm grateful to be in the part of the world I am in.

Yes, I find the world as a whole going through a downward phase environmentally, socially and surely politically.  Looking at history, the world goes through phases.  I'm guessing our current social and political scenes will cycle back to a better place at some point (not gonna guess when).  The environment will cycle again as well.  The problem for us humans is that even though we have time to come back around socially and politically, as we have always done, that may not be so for us environmentally.  Nature's time is vast and we may well not be able to keep to nature's scheduled, mainly due to the damage we've incurred on the planet.  We may well be toast before the planet heals.  A major healing even in nature can make the changes in our political and social cycles seem like blink of the eye.

And then there is the mysterious or what people call "religion" or "spirituality". I don't think the core of mystery ever changes, just our relationship (or lack thereof) to it.  For me, in spiritual terms, this isn't time to get re-familiarized with any of the myths, interesting though they are.  I'm currently thinking its more important for me to become more familiar with a flower or a tiny bug, or the wind in the trees, or a very large mountain.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    I suppose most folks find what they look for
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    lbpeltz said:
    Same here. And just as bad (if not worse) than the world you see on TV is the world you read about on the internet. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I don't think everything is that bad, I just don't.

I do think that Seattle and California have a problem with homeless though.  I have seen that get considerably worse in the 30 years I have been to those 2 places.

24hr news and constant surveillance or cameras are now showing I believe what has always been right under our noses.  It isn't anything new.  It gets attention now because it stories are sensationalized and everything gets caught on camera.

As far as problems in the ghetto?  I watched a great documentary on Randy Moss.  He talked about his old hometown and the path that most people take there and never get out.  Some things have vicious cycles and people don't know any better because no one has shown them.

Smile, hug your friends and family.  The world doesn't always suck.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Historically, yes, the world is a safer place right now than at any other point in human evolution. However, like Brian said, being born into certain situations or impoverished countries would make that statistic irrelevant. 

Is the question in regards to the US or the world as a whole? 

I don't think everything is that bad, I just don't.

I do think that Seattle and California have a problem with homeless though.  I have seen that get considerably worse in the 30 years I have been to those 2 places.

24hr news and constant surveillance or cameras are now showing I believe what has always been right under our noses.  It isn't anything new.  It gets attention now because it stories are sensationalized and everything gets caught on camera.

As far as problems in the ghetto?  I watched a great documentary on Randy Moss.  He talked about his old hometown and the path that most people take there and never get out.  Some things have vicious cycles and people don't know any better because no one has shown them.

Smile, hug your friends and family.  The world doesn't always suck.
    :smile:   :hug:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• lbpeltzlbpeltz Posts: 98
    eddiec said:
    Historically, yes, the world is a safer place right now than at any other point in human evolution. However, like Brian said, being born into certain situations or impoverished countries would make that statistic irrelevant. 

Is the question in regards to the US or the world as a whole? 

Good question. I guess that could get really philosophical, but I guess I was just talking about my first hand view of the world in which i live. Which is mainly in Connecticut with quite a bit of travel around and about. 
    brianlux said:
    lbpeltz said:

First of all, lbpeltz, welcome to the monkey house.  Nice to see a fresh presence here.

I don't watch much TV any more but if that's all I had to go on in terms of viewing the world, I would make as quick and painless an exit from this plain as possible.  So yes, when I do on rare occasion watch the TV news, I see a world worse than the world I walk around in. 

On the other hand, were I to be stuck in certain parts of the world- a really rough ghetto or a place wracked with disease- that world might seem  worse than TV.  It's a big damn world.  Despite the things I don't like about it, I'm grateful to be in the part of the world I am in.

Yes, I find the world as a whole going through a downward phase environmentally, socially and surely politically.  Looking at history, the world goes through phases.  I'm guessing our current social and political scenes will cycle back to a better place at some point (not gonna guess when).  The environment will cycle again as well.  The problem for us humans is that even though we have time to come back around socially and politically, as we have always done, that may not be so for us environmentally.  Nature's time is vast and we may well not be able to keep to nature's scheduled, mainly due to the damage we've incurred on the planet.  We may well be toast before the planet heals.  A major healing even in nature can make the changes in our political and social cycles seem like blink of the eye.

And then there is the mysterious or what people call "religion" or "spirituality". I don't think the core of mystery ever changes, just our relationship (or lack thereof) to it.  For me, in spiritual terms, this isn't time to get re-familiarized with any of the myths, interesting though they are.  I'm currently thinking its more important for me to become more familiar with a flower or a tiny bug, or the wind in the trees, or a very large mountain.

Thanks for the warm greeting. Much appreciated and often unheard of on the interwebs to see a kind greeting. 

I appreciate your view and do hope that my nonchalant attitude towards the environment isn’t contributing towards our demise. I don’t try to be a polluting jerk, but I'm not really the green type. Anything in particular that I should read to educate myself on the environment? 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I for one don't necessarily see a shitty world out there.
    Are there shitty aspects to it? Yes
    Is our currently elected president a piece of shit? Yes
    Do I live in fear such that I ever need a gun? Nope
    Do I feel good about the prospects for America as a whole? Yes
    That's because LOVE tRUmps hate
    Are their many shitty people in America? Yes
    But I do my best to ignore them.
    Do I surround myself with shitty people with shitty attitudes? Nope
    Do I worry about the next Pearl Jam album? Nope
    My glass is always half full and leaning toward filling not emptying.

Namaste' 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Regarding division, I definitely see more Confederate flag flying than I did a few years ago and it's become nearly impossible to talk politics nowadays so I do think we are as divided as ever.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    lbpeltz said:
    brianlux said:
    lbpeltz said:

Thanks for the warm greeting. Much appreciated and often unheard of on the interwebs to see a kind greeting. 

I appreciate your view and do hope that my nonchalant attitude towards the environment isn’t contributing towards our demise. I don’t try to be a polluting jerk, but I'm not really the green type. Anything in particular that I should read to educate myself on the environment? 
    An likewise, thanks for you kind response. 

There is so much out there to read on environment these days and it's hard to sift through what's worth the time to read and what's not.  It also depends on ones perspective and no doubt you will get many opinions on this.  In my humble opinion, some excellent books on environment include:

Bill McKibben, Eaarth  (yes, with two a's)
    Bill McKibben, The End of Nature
    Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire
    Edward Abbey:  The Monkey Wrench Gang
    Edward O. Wilson:  The Future of Life
    Wendell Berry: Home Economics
     Wendell Berry:  The Unsettling of America
    Tom Hayden:  The Lost Gospel of the Earth
    Lamya Essemali with Paul Watson:  Interview with a Pirate:  Captain Paul Watson
    Richard Manning:  Against the Grain
    Richard Manning:  Rewilding the West
    Dave Foreman:  Confessions of an Eco-Warrior

rgambs said:
    Regarding division, I definitely see more Confederate flag flying than I did a few years ago and it's become nearly impossible to talk politics nowadays so I do think we are as divided as ever.
    This is interesting but you had mentioned before that the area you live in can be pretty bigoted.

I do find it amazing that people are coming out the woodwork with the racism crap.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    This is interesting but you had mentioned before that the area you live in can be pretty bigoted.

I do find it amazing that people are coming out the woodwork with the racism crap.
    Yes, it is a very "rural" area lol

The racism isn't new, the boldness with which it is displayed is new.  Well, not new, more like a throwback to the old days before people got their shit together in the 90s.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I don't see many positives. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I don't see many positives. 
    I have a positive for you.  Recently doctors and researchers have come up with not one but TWO different treatments that help slow down the effects of Ebola.

It's not a full on cure, YET but, it is a step in the right direction.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/health/ebola-outbreak-cure.html

I have been scared to death about Ebola ever since I first heard of it.  This is something we all can be very excited about.
    I'm just worried with overpopulation, global warming, pollution, homelessness, increasing drug related violence, wars, China flexing its muscle and about to invade Hong Kong and Taiwan and possibly Australia, terrorism, my mental health, etc etc etc
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

The racism isn't new, the boldness with which it is displayed is new.  Well, not new, more like a throwback to the old days before people got their shit together in the 90s.
    I would love to have a big stack of white flags and hand these out to these stars and bars douchebags, saying this was your final flag. fly it proudly you fucking loser.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I would love to have a big stack of white flags and hand these out to these stars and bars douchebags, saying this was your final flag. fly it proudly you fucking loser.......
    They might convert it into a hood...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I see shitty people all the time ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Let's go see Beck this Saturday and be around good people.

What do you say?
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    This has been an interesting thread to read, although it has filled me with terror at times. I see the world as pretty 50/50. I try keep my part clean.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    the world is going to get a whole lot uglier when China's military is bigger and mightier than that of the US and they start invading countries in the Asia/Pacific with their military. 
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Why do you think that will happen?
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Stop watching focksnooze 
    Stop watching focksnooze 
    Or stop coming on here...

Bwahahahahahaa
    I'm just worried with overpopulation, global warming, pollution, homelessness, increasing drug related violence, wars, China flexing its muscle and about to invade Hong Kong and Taiwan and possibly Australia, terrorism, my mental health, etc etc etc

Many of these worries are “newsroom worries”. I’m sure some of them are truly threatening, some of them evidently are, while others, it’s just hard to tell if it’s a political issue. Fear and desperation makes for good political issues and keep eyeballs glued to the tv. 
    I have worried about all those things (regarding China, more worried about how any of the super powers negatively affect the world:  US, Russia, China).  And all of those things seem to be getting worse.  I think the only way to maintain one's sanity through all of this is to seek and give gratitude for what is good in life, do the best you can to live more lightly on the planet, and not give up hope - with the attitude that hope is doing what makes sense no matter how things turn out.  Worry never solves anything.  How do I know this?  I am, at times, a champion worrier.  Let's you and me work on doing less worrying and more living.
    Stop watching focksnooze 
    Or stop coming on here...

Bwahahahahahaa
    Oh, but we're so entertaining, lol!

What do you say?
    Can’t I’m headed down to Maryland for the weekend eat some soft shell crabs and drink beer 🍺, would of loved too though thanks for the invite!

What do you say?
    Can’t I’m headed down to Maryland for the weekend eat some soft shell crabs and drink beer 🍺, would of loved too though thanks for the invite!
    We should pick a Forrest Hills show and go to it!

Enjoy the soft shell crabs.  They are in season now!

What do you say?
    We should pick a Forrest Hills show and go to it!

Enjoy the soft shell crabs.  They are in season now!
    Yeah I haven’t seen a show there I wanted to see this show the lineup is really good ..