Fat Cops

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Good pics! I’m sure the fitness level of the keyboard warriors is better than U.S. law enforcement though. 😉
    LOL, good one B!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Interesting Brian, we also have 'coffee with a cop' here.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I have visited all over the US and lived in a bunch of places and Fresno is on my list of places I would rather not visit anymore.

As for the cops, NY has definitely changed as the officers are fit and not the beer gut slobs that you make them out to be.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    Sweden:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I have visited all over the US and lived in a bunch of places and Fresno is on my list of places I would rather not visit anymore.

As for the cops, NY has definitely changed as the officers are fit and not the beer gut slobs that you make them out to be.
    Believe me, as soon as I can move I’ll never visit Fresno again. 

Just checking, who is saying that NY cops are beer gut slobs? Fresno cops sure are. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Clearly there are some fat ones but remember many wear bullet proof vests are that are quite cumbersome and add girth.
    Sweden:

Hilarious lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited August 2019
    bbiggs said:
    vaggar99 said:
    Swedish police are quite fit from what I've seen.

It's like this all around Europe.  The cops are fit and pro looking.  Why do they look lik such disasters in the US?
    They don’t.  Fat cops are outliers.  Like usual, there’s a lot of painting with a broad brush going on. The cops I know personally would not lose if chasing someone down in a foot race; that’s for sure. 
    Wrong.
    Study after study shows cops and firefighters to be in the top 5 fattest professions.  Usually just behind truckers.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/fitness-fittest-and-fattest-jobs-in-america-010914#3
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I think the reason cops and firefighters are among the fattest in the nation is a combination of the facts that they are mostly male professions and the fact that they stick together in a brotherhood to protect each other from legitimate dangers and criticisms.

"Boys' clubs" ALWAYS bring out and reinforce the worst aspects in men.
    rgambs said:
    I think the reason cops and firefighters are among the fattest in the nation is a combination of the facts that they are mostly male professions and the fact that they stick together in a brotherhood to protect each other from legitimate dangers and criticisms.

So truck drivers must stick together too?  That's why they are so big?

Sitting is a killer.  That is why they get big, not because they stick together.  Unless a cop is walking the beat he is sitting.  Same with firefighters.

I'm surprised office workers didn't make the list?
  • rgambs said:

Sitting is a killer.  That is why they get big, not because they stick together.  Unless a cop is walking the beat he is sitting.  Same with firefighters.

Don't see many fat truck drivers here in Sweden. 

They do prefer the driving compartment of the SCANIA trucks over Volvo's though.

I think a problem with the obesity in the US is something bigger than the job you happen to have. Including cops. 

And no, it's not the bulletproof-vests creating an illusion of fattiness. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited August 2019
    rgambs said:

Truck drivers don't have policies or tasks that ostensibly require physical fitness.
    They also don't have on-site fitness equipment like most police and fire departments, so deconstructing their obesity levels is pretty straight-forward.
    According to the study, police and fire professionals report higher levels of off-time vigorous activity than other professions so that is another anomaly that leads to alternate explanations, like mine.

Regarding office workers, it may be that studies are unable to accurately compile that data as it is a very, very broad category.
    I haven't looked into it, but I know this study is only a fairly recent one that Google pulled up to confirm for me what I've heard in study after study over the years.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    America definitely has a major obesity problem so it isn't surprising to me to see statistics like this:
    https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/08/14/fbi-80-percent-of-police-officers-are-overweight/
    Fat cops, fat cops, what you gonna do, what you gonna do when they come for you?

rgambs said:
    America definitely has a major obesity problem so it isn't surprising to me to see statistics like this:
    https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/08/14/fbi-80-percent-of-police-officers-are-overweight/
    8/10?!?  I will say that I do not see that here but those numbers are insane!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Overweight and obese are different things by definition. Studies are great but the eye test tells another story. Also, being fat and being a “fat beer gut slob” are two very different things.  A lot of people are “skinny fat.” Appearing thin, but having very little muscle mass and a high percentage of fat. That is not healthy either. Perhaps that category is included in the 80% number. 
    rgambs said:

Sitting is the new smoking. I hate the fact that I have to sit so much for work, but I exercise daily to help counter it. And I pace around the office when I’m on a call to try and keep moving. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Sitting is the new smoking. I hate the fact that I have to sit so much for work, but I exercise daily to help counter it. And I pace around the office when I’m on a call to try and keep moving. 
    Working out helps, but if your diet is poor, it doesn't matter. This is the major problem with obesity in America. I feel as if a lot of Americans feel ripped off if they don't take home half their meal when they eat out. Portion sizes are ridiculous. Couple that with the crazy amount of fast food eateries and it's a recipe for disaster. Wealth also contributes greatly to this, but that's for another thread.
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Working out helps, but if your diet is poor, it doesn't matter. This is the major problem with obesity in America. I feel as if a lot of Americans feel ripped off if they don't take home half their meal when they eat out. Portion sizes are ridiculous. Couple that with the crazy amount of fast food eateries and it's a recipe for disaster. Wealth also contributes greatly to this, but that's for another thread.
    Spot on. Diet is paramount. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    eddiec said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:

Exercise is good for several reasons...whether you eat healthy or not.  That said, I spent years trying to exercise a bad diet away.*  Didn't work.  There's no getting around it...you need to eat the right amount (less for most of us) of the right (much healthier for most of us) food.

*People were impressed that the fat guy could go hard for 45-60 minutes on the elliptical.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin