Fat Cops

First and foremost before we have a bunch of snowflakes get offended by fat shaming. I bought a XXL mystery box for myself. And this isn’t a bash on cops thread either. 

Why don't cops, at least here in Fresno,Ca(don’t wanna speak for other parts of the country or world) have to adhere to a yearly fitness assessment. Lately I have seen more cops that can barely get out of their patrol car around town. Guys with guts so big, I’m sure they can’t see their gun belt.
When I was in the military we had a fitness and body fat assessment every year and those who didn’t meet the requirements were forced on what we called the fat boy program. If you didn’t make weight or body fat percentage in a certain amount of time then you could be discharged and not the honorable way either. 
I believe firefighters have to meet some sort of requirement for safety reasons alone. Why are cops not held to the same standard. It’s embarrassing to think that these out of shape Chief Wiggam looking people could apprehend or pursue a suspect on foot. 

To all the first responders and military personnel out there. Thank you for all you do. 
Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.

Comments

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    The same reason you don't need a fitness assessment to join the KKK?  irrelevant to the job of being a bigot?
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    To be fair. Not all cops are bigots. Sad to see how many seem to be though. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    First and foremost before we have a bunch of snowflakes get offended by fat shaming. I bought a XXL mystery box for myself. And this isn’t a bash on cops thread either. 

Why don't cops, at least here in Fresno,Ca(don’t wanna speak for other parts of the country or world) have to adhere to a yearly fitness assessment. Lately I have seen more cops that can barely get out of their patrol car around town. Guys with guts so big, I’m sure they can’t see their gun belt.
    When I was in the military we had a fitness and body fat assessment every year and those who didn’t meet the requirements were forced on what we called the fat boy program. If you didn’t make weight or body fat percentage in a certain amount of time then you could be discharged and not the honorable way either. 
    I believe firefighters have to meet some sort of requirement for safety reasons alone. Why are cops not held to the same standard. It’s embarrassing to think that these out of shape Chief Wiggam looking people could apprehend or pursue a suspect on foot. 

To all the first responders and military personnel out there. Thank you for all you do. 
    I wonder if it has to do with the age of cops in Fresno?  (Fresno isn't all that far from us here in Placerville, but I haven't been there in several years.)  I'm told (and it seems so) that a lot of cops here are younger and thus generally very fit.  Many of them look like they just got out of boot camp.  Could be they get their start in smaller towns like here and then move on to higher paying positions in bigger towns like Fresno and get older and more rotund (like me- I was once a 32" waste and have worked my way up to 35").
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

It may be age related. But some of these guys are obese. Not just slightly either. And a lot of them. The police chief is an older guy who is retiring and running for mayor of Fresno, and he is in really good shape. That’s his best quality sadly. 

Side note. I was a 32” waste senior year of high school (1996) and now I’m like a 37”. I need to get in the gym and get to 35”. So I’m jealous of 35”
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Halts maul. Lay your waste elsewhere!

Maybe in the sandkasten. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited August 2019

Maybe in the sandkasten. 
    :rofl:.  Stefan!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Maybe in the sandkasten. 
    Du hast es gesagt, Schwester =)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited August 2019
    Stefan is the gift that keeps giving.  My "location" pays homage to him but we all owe him a debt of gratitude.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on

Maybe in the sandkasten. 
    :rofl:.  Stefan!
    ausgezeichnet!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

It may be age related. But some of these guys are obese. Not just slightly either. And a lot of them. The police chief is an older guy who is retiring and running for mayor of Fresno, and he is in really good shape. That’s his best quality sadly. 

Side note. I was a 32” waste senior year of high school (1996) and now I’m like a 37”. I need to get in the gym and get to 35”. So I’m jealous of 35”
    Too much hormone infused beef?

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Stefan is the gift that keeps giving.  My "location" pays homage to him but we all owe him a debt of gratitude.
    He wasn’t here for a long time, but he was here for a good time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Comparing the police force to the KKK is ludicrous to me.

As to their fitness, I can only speak to what/whom I've seen and encountered here.  Regardless of age, most appear to be in decent shape.  I would imagine physical fitness being reviewed annually or something similar.  I doubt most officers unable to carry out their duties wouldn't want to be on the job if they can't do it well.

Or is that just my own thinking? 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Maybe in the sandkasten. 
    I'm going to look for that thread. I need a laugh.

On topic, yes cops should be fit.
    Sometimes I see fat cops here and think to myself "how are you meant to chase after an offender?".
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Maybe in the sandkasten. 

Sometimes I see fat cops here and think to myself "how are you meant to chase after an offender?".
    Enjoy
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/237506/iso-for-an-ebay-seller-from-which-i-have-paid-2-x-twenty-vinyl-sealed-but-never-got-something/p8
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Maybe in the sandkasten. 
    oftenreading, you pappnase

please leave your wast anywhere ...!!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    vaggar99 said:
    The same reason you don't need a fitness assessment to join the KKK?  irrelevant to the job of being a bigot?
    What?  That's a weird analogy.  Care to explain (or would we rather not know)?

(I had missed this until Hedonist pointed it out.)

• brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:

He's making a point about how black men (etc) are treated by the police in the US.

Not weird at all.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Swedish police are quite fit from what I've seen.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258

Maybe in the sandkasten. 

That’s when the gun comes into play ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:

He's making a point about how black men (etc) are treated by the police in the US.

Not weird at all.
    That's a gross exaggeration.  What around here... what's new?

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    vaggar99 said:

Not weird at all.
    That's a gross exaggeration.  What around here... what's new?
    Yup.

Paintbrushes rock!

Maybe in the sandkasten. 

That’s when the gun comes into play ! 
    You gotta be able to get out of your car in less than 5 mins and not be winded doing so. Unless ol’ po po has a scope. 
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    Swedish police are quite fit from what I've seen.

It's like this all around Europe.  The cops are fit and pro looking.  Why do they look lik such disasters in the US?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    vaggar99 said:

It's like this all around Europe.  The cops are fit and pro looking.  Why do they look lik such disasters in the US?
    They don’t.  Fat cops are outliers.  Like usual, there’s a lot of painting with a broad brush going on. The cops I know personally would not lose if chasing someone down in a foot race; that’s for sure. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2019
    vaggar99 said:

And I guess some weird lack of quality and standards within the force, judging from e.g this being a thing:

• The first thing I saw coming up the subway in Manhattan were yellow cabs and fat cops.
    Here's a group photo of our local officers:

Pretty fit!

And overall, considering their ages, the SHIELD (Specialized Help In Enforcement Like Duties) officers look pretty good:

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Good pics! I’m sure the fitness level of the keyboard warriors is better than U.S. law enforcement though. 😉