The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    "Have you been to Scandinavia? So what do we have, just take a look at a country like Norway. You have a baby in Norway - what do you get? You either get 12 months paid leave at 80% of your pay or 10 months of at all of your pay. You have excellent quality and affordable child care. You have a strong and very good public public education system. Do you know how much college cost in Finland, or Denmark or Sweden? It's free. So is that really so radical?"

- Bernie "sense and decency" Sanders
    At the low,  low price of 60% taxes every year,  not the year you have a baby.  What a deal. 

I don't know where you get that magic 60% number from - but here is how people and children live in your magic country with your taxes.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Just for fun.

Personal Favorites:
    Marianne Williamson 
    Bernie Sanders 
    Buddha
    Warren
    Delaney

Person most likely to beat Trump:
    Biden
    Sanders
    Delaney
    Bennett
    Tie amongst a bunch of others

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    "Have you been to Scandinavia? So what do we have, just take a look at a country like Norway. You have a baby in Norway - what do you get? You either get 12 months paid leave at 80% of your pay or 10 months of at all of your pay. You have excellent quality and affordable child care. You have a strong and very good public public education system. Do you know how much college cost in Finland, or Denmark or Sweden? It's free. So is that really so radical?"

At the low,  low price of 60% taxes every year,  not the year you have a baby.  What a deal. 

I don't know where you get that magic 60% number from - but here is how people and children live in your magic country with your taxes.
    Look at your own tax code. 
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Over here we seem to do a lot better than you folks, like Sanders suggests. So no need to look at anything. Your poverty stats paint a picture of what country works the best using taxes. Which smart and empathetic people like Sanders, not being trapped in a bubble of 'murica, can see.

Other countries can, like Sanders suggest, make a society work for its people. Weird if the US would be incapable.

I'm on the Sanders train again. *choo choo* 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2019
    Pretty damn close.  No thanks to the big tax hike.
     https://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=69
    Percentage of Population living below poverty line
    Source: CIA World Factbook - Unless otherwise noted, information in this page is accurate as of January 1, 2018

129United States15.1
    130Belgium15.1
    131Morocco15
    132Sweden15

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Over here we seem to do a lot better than you folks, like Sanders suggests. So no need to look at anything. Your poverty stats paint a picture of what country works the best using taxes. Which smart and empathetic people like Sanders, not being trapped in a bubble of 'murica, can see.

Other countries can, like Sanders suggest, make a society work for its people. Weird if the US would be incapable.

You’re on whatever train brings Swedish culture to the States; that much is abundantly clear. You cherry-pick ingredients (like health care) and choose which ingredients not to discuss, while they’re likely to ruin the cake (like tax hikes to make that reality). Enjoy your ride.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So you really don't know your tax code?  It's not progressive,  it's two tier basically. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

So you really don't know your tax code?  It's not progressive,  it's two tier basically. 
    whatever it is, none of those benefits are free. the money for them doesn't appear out of the ether....

but its easy to say things are free on the back end, sounds good. Reality says this was paid for upfront.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited July 2019
    Almost half of house Democrats now support impeaching the president.

Edit: wrong thread
    Post edited by dignin on
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I hope that this is the last round of debates with so many candidates. It’s time to narrow the field a bit.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Where did that 2004 graph come from?  We like sources cited here on the AMT.  Mcgruff’s cited data above tells a different story and is a lot more current.
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You’re on whatever train brings Swedish culture to the States; that much is abundantly clear. You cherry-pick ingredients (like health care) and choose which ingredients not to discuss, while they’re likely to ruin the cake (like tax hikes to make that reality). Enjoy your ride.
    You mean it's not intellectually honest to only look at the benefit side,  ignoring the cost? You don't say....
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    That graph is 15 years old with no source link.

All current data suggest that the graph is not accurate...

But that does not matter, for months I have been reading how Sweden is such a great model for the world on how to run a country.  All poverty should have been eliminated by now...what's up with that?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

Where did that 2004 graph come from?  We like sources cited here on the AMT.  Mcgruff’s cited data above tells a different story and is a lot more current.
    It looks like it is from the total war center forum board:  http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?754323-The-merits-and-the-disadvantages-of-social-security/page3
    I think it is from a book : " In this seminal book,Link: (click to download), the poverty researcher Peter Townsend examined relative deprivation covering a wide range of aspects of living standards, both material and social."
    book:  
    http://www.poverty.ac.uk/free-resources-books/poverty-united-kingdom
    Pretty cool a rock star wrote a book on poverty.

Although the book was written in 1979 so I am not sure where the graph came from.  Damn I am confused.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

It looks like it is from the total war center forum board:  http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?754323-The-merits-and-the-disadvantages-of-social-security/page3
    I think it is from a book : " In this seminal book,Link: (click to download), the poverty researcher Peter Townsend examined relative deprivation covering a wide range of aspects of living standards, both material and social."
    book:  http://www.poverty.ac.uk/free-resources-books/poverty-united-kingdom
    Pretty cool a rock star wrote a book on poverty.

Although the book was written in 1979 so I am not sure where the graph came from.  Damn I am confused.
    No wonder he is afraid to cite it...looks like many on that forum have pointed to discrepancies in the methodology.  I think it is safe to disregard any un-cited graphs or charts SC contributes due to obvious extreme bias.  
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I understand that every candidate deserves a voice.  I also understand that the media, etc shouldn't be picking who the front runners are and who should be on stage.  But it is a pain to have so many candidates.  The last time a party had this many candidates they ended up nominating TRUMP!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
    I understand that every candidate deserves a voice.  I also understand that the media, etc shouldn't be picking who the front runners are and who should be on stage.  But it is a pain to have so many candidates.  The last time a party had this many candidates they ended up nominating TRUMP!!!!
    thats what bernie is hoping for, trump was the populist non-republican. Bernie is the populist non-democrat......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited July 2019
    That kid is pretty smart. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    But dumb parents who don't know how to spell "Donny"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Not trying to be flippant or whatever, but tonight’s debate is at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. I was able to see Eddie in(I think) 2011 there. Also where Soundgarden played their final show. I always think about those guys when I see that theatre and will be tonight.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    Not trying to be flippant or whatever, but tonight’s debate is at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. I was able to see Eddie in(I think) 2011 there. Also where Soundgarden played their final show. I always think about those guys when I see that theatre and will be tonight.
    will be passing by it well after the debate tonight is over. My run this week has me going to our yard in Warren about 16 miles north of there.

mickeyrat said:
    Hi! said:
    will be passing by it well after the debate tonight is over. My run this week has me going to our yard in Warren about 16 miles north of there.
    You gotta go down Woodward?

Hi! said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Hi! said:
    nah, passing by on 75, theater is maybe 50 yrds or so from the freeway.

mickeyrat said:
    Hi! said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Hi! said:
    nah, passing by on 75, theater is maybe 50 yrds or so from the freeway.
    Right

I wish I wouldn’t have turned the debate on early. This DNC chair is making me hate the party more than I did. Lucky for them they aren’t up against trump.
    hippiemom = goodness
    I wish I wouldn’t have turned the debate on early. This DNC chair is making me hate the party more than I did. Lucky for them they aren’t up against trump.
    These debates are becoming quite the spectacle, choir ect. I’m kinda 1/2 watching. Cnn seems to be really going all out on the coverage, and this is only the 2nd out of 12, lol.

• RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Is ‘everybody’ watching the debates? I’m watching it on CNN
    Why does everybody just yell anymore? Even that choir singing the anthem. Ouch.

Its gotta get better from that though right?
    hippiemom = goodness
    I have zero interest to watch the debates on tv. I ll check out the summaries in the news tomorrow.  
This discussion has been closed.