Options

Been a fun ride

2»

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,516
    NewJPage said:
    Nothing has really changed in the past 5 years but somehow it's a huge shock to people in 2019 that they aren't as active as they were in the early to mid 2000's?      
    5 years ago LB was 1 year old and the band was touring. If you told me then that in the next 5 years the band would barely sniff a studio, would cancel the fanclub single but not reduce the price of membership, and play AT BEST a handful of shows a year I wouldn't have believed it

Why not?

With the exception of the fanclub dues / cancellation of the single, everything else you mentioned seems in character for a band at their age.

Everyone's clamoring for a new album, but most people seem to agree Backspacer & LB weren't that great... do people really want them to force the creative process and release something for the sake of releasing something?

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    The only thing I’m surprised about is to have zero touring in 2017 and 2019.  One year isn’t as surprising but two out of three years was a little surprising, especially when there are so many festivals they could do like in 2012 in the US.    Bands take years off all the time because they play 90 shows in a year on a big tour but PJ sprinkles in 20 shows a year and only ties up 6-8 weeks of their year on touring.  
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Im sticking around. Been posting here since like 97.  
    so if it all ends tomorrow so be it.  If they tour every 5 years that’s cool with me too.  

25 yrs of going hard is pretty impressive for any band.  It has inevitably slowed down the last four years so we’ll see what this new chapter delivers.  
  • Options
    musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 233
    In sports this is called a "fair weather fan"
    So cool though, I guess, that you feel your opinion really means anything to anyone but you.
    These kinds of "announcement" posts always leave me baffled. 
    Whats the point here?
    Is this a "who's with me" thing?

• Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    NewJPage said:
    Nothing has really changed in the past 5 years but somehow it's a huge shock to people in 2019 that they aren't as active as they were in the early to mid 2000's?      
    5 years ago LB was 1 year old and the band was touring. If you told me then that in the next 5 years the band would barely sniff a studio, would cancel the fanclub single but not reduce the price of membership, and play AT BEST a handful of shows a year I wouldn't have believed it
    5 years no new album.  Touring dropped off considerably.  They dropped the single, big deal, I haven't been excited about that to get to me for 10 years honestly.   Nothing has changed.  I saw and I think a lot of people saw the writing on the wall after the 2014 tour......the dynamic was different.    
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,822
    2016 and 2018 were great tours. Small runs but there were some legendary shows in there. 
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

I think some people look around and see other artists/bands still going hard at it. So then they wish and wonder why PJ isn't doing the same. That's all. I get it, but ...

my all time favorite band is the Beatles, and 2 members are dead.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited July 2019
    It's been a fun ride, we shouldn't have left you.
    Without a dope beat to step to

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,007
    It's been a fun ride, we shouldn't have left you.
    Without a dope beat to step to

https://youtu.be/fvAAETHrXv0
    It's a hopeless... situation
    And I'm starting to believe
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    I really don't care about why someone leaves the fanclub.
    Only care if their number is lower then mine.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,454
    It’s been a very fun ride and I’ll be here when it continues.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited July 2019
    My PJ break came early.  Mid 94 - mid 95.    
    So much good music at the time and a crazy amount of friends at the time that i just kind of moved on and forgot about them.  After loving TEN and VS I didn't buy or even hear Vitalogy until late 1995.  

Oddly enough playing pickup basketball in the hood got me hugely back into PJ.  My buddy Rashad had somehow acquired an early release of Merkinball and he got me to listen to it.  
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    My PJ break came early.  Mid 94 - mid 95.    
    So much good music at the time and a crazy amount of friends at the time that i just kind of moved on and forgot about them.  After loving TEN and VS I didn't buy or even hear Vitalogy until late 1995.  

Oddly enough playing pickup basketball in the hood got me hugely back into PJ.  My buddy Rashad had somehow acquired an early release of Merkinball and he got me to listen to it.  
    2 things that don't go together are Hood and Merkinball...

When I was hoopin in the hood those years I was exposed to Rappin Forte, Bone Thugz and Tu-pac.
This discussion has been closed.