Options

Been a fun ride

After being one of the biggest supporters of the band since day one I have lost the passion. Having every release, boxes of shirts, posters of every show I’ve seen, and various other hats and jackets and hoodies and 10C merch, The lack of new material, loss of the “Christmas” single, lack of touring, and live shows feeling like more of a money grab, they have finally fallen out of my top spot. Maybe it’s the weakness of the last couple albums(songs like just breathe, future days...), predictability of encores, and or just lack of updates on the new record(think they gave up on it). Hopefully I can get it back one day. Until then I will focus on bands that are out there recording, touring, and doing everything for the love of the music and fans.
Religion is for the weak.

Comments

• Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,607
    Ok
  • Options
    PeArLgOoNeRPeArLgOoNeR Posts: 1,249
    edited July 2019
    Pearl Jam will always be my #1..

That being said I've been listening to a lot of other music in the last few years, which has been enlightening in so many ways. This has been a direct result of the lack of activity from PJ.

I agree that the last 2 albums have been the weakest in the catalogue (and I think most people do).. Both albums have great songs though! Just more duds than the previous stuff

As for the shows feeling like money grabs, I don't get that feeling.. Krakow was both unpredictable and focused.. It was Pearl Jam  at their very best! 
    I don't know if the stadium shows feel different..

So yes.. It's been a fun ride.. And even though the ride is on some sort of pause, I don't doubt it will continue..!

In the meantime, I'll keep discovering other artists and have fun with that

Post edited by PeArLgOoNeR on

Hamburg 2000, Berlin 2006, Copenhagen 2007, Berlin 2009, Berlin 2010, Berlin 1+2 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Vienna 2014, Berlin 2014, Prague 2018, Krakow 2018
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,594
    I happen to agree.
     Money grab indeed. 
    I still listen to the old stuff. 
    But other  music is becoming more regularly  listened to
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Come on tour.....
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,468
    edited July 2019
    I mean. Wouldnt it come natural to listen to other stuff when one band turns 50 and winds down. 

Why does it have to be an active choice?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    It is a bummer that they have slowed down so much. But hey they've done a lot, and whatever works for them. All good things must come to an end. And as much as I want a new album,  if it's going to be 'Can't Deny Me' quality of songs, then that doesn't really do much for me.

Whatever, hopefully Ed does a solo album if a PJ album isn't happening anytime soon. It seems like he's the only active one right now (as far as the public eye can see at least).
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,361
    It’s still a fun ride, even if PJ aren’t as active these days. I posted this in another thread earlier in the year...

Since Backspacer came out, we have had:

Live On 10 Legs
    PJ20 film and soundtrack
    Vault releases
    Live At Third Man Records
    Let's Play Two film and soundtrack
    Lightning Bolt

However, as far as side projects go we have had:

Brad - Best Friends?
    Tres Mts - Tres Mts
    Eddie - Ukulele Songs
    Brad - United We Stand
    Jeff - While My Heart Beats
    RNDM - Acts
    Stone - Moonlander
    Weiss / Cameron / Hill - Drumgasm
    Sonic Evolution
    Ten Commandos - Ten Commandos
    RNDM - Ghost Riding
    The Glamour & The Squalor soundtrack 
    Matt - Cavedweller
    Jeff - Heaven / Hell
    As well as the Mad Season, Mother Lover Bone, Temple Of The Dog, and Green River reissues, and all of the soundtrack work that Mike is doing.

I know that not everyone is into the side projects/solo records, but it's better than nothing at all! There's certainly some more interesting stuff on there if you go digging.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,365
    Cool. See ya.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,439
    Insert comment about the guys having families now and not needing any more money
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    Insert comment about the guys having families now and not needing any more money
    I mean, cmon.  They've got families now and don't need the tour money anymore!
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i personally witnessed 2 epic PJ shows in seattle last summer.  so i have not lost hope that the magic is still there. last year the band appeared to me that they were still into it. and i've never seen a show where they anything but amazing.

ever since august 1995 i realized that focusing too much on one band was a mistake.
    cause that can be taken away from you in a instant flash. life is too short and fragile

so being a music fan and limiting yourself to the peaks and valleys of what only one band offers is not the ride to take. it might be your ride but it isn't mine. for the in between, my life is packed with new music, and shows, and im super f'n happy about it  ;)

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    I mean. Wouldnt it come natural to listen to other stuff when one band turns 50 and winds down. 

It does happen rather naturally, doesn't it?  I've seen 17 different bands live since I last saw Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,043

It does happen rather naturally, doesn't it?  I've seen 17 different bands live since I last saw Pearl Jam.
    Nice! Any recommendations? I am going to try and make the new Tool tour whenever it is announced but I am dying to see another great live act. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424
    PJNB said:

Nice! Any recommendations? I am going to try and make the new Tool tour whenever it is announced but I am dying to see another great live act. 
    I'd like to give Tool another shot.  Saw them in 06 and did not particularly care for the 80 minute 10,000 Days show they put on.  But this last tour seemed a lot more promising.
    I've seen Green Day, Midnight Oil, The Who, Lady Gaga, Smashing Pumpkins, Metric, Cracker, Umphrey's McGee and a few more.  All great shows.  Going to see Joan Jett, Heart, and Toad the Wet Sprocket next month.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,639

I'm enjoying other bands, while waiting for PJ to tour again. The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. (PJ has never been the only band I listened to anyway, they're one of several that I'm passionate about)

As far as the new album goes, it happens when it happens. I don't need updates when there's nothing to report which clearly there isn't.

I'm ok with them taking as much time off as they need, it won't keep me from being a fan.

• Options
    PJNB said:

Dude... the new Raconteurs album is amazing... not sure if they're playing anywhere near you, but I'm really looking forward to the Boston shows.
  • Options
    MP188882MP188882 Posts: 65
    Says "bringbackjack" - it sounds like you've had some trouble adjusting to life after Yield. You'll be back if the next release is fire. 

MP
    8/22/98 - Barrie, Ontario
    10/5/00 - Toronto, Ontario
    6/28/03 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/22/05 - Halifax, Nova Scotia
    9/11/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    9/12/11 - Toronto, Ontario
    7/31/12 - London, England (EV)
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, New York
    12/2/13 - Calgary, Alberta
    05/10/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    05/12/16 - Toronto, Ontario
    09/06/16 - Hamilton, Ontario
    09/08/22 - Toronto, Ontario

• Options
    PJNB said:

Dude... the new Raconteurs album is amazing... not sure if they're playing anywhere near you, but I'm really looking forward to the Boston shows.
    No one plays near me though Moncton is getting some have decent shows lately. They are playing in Boston which is a 7hr drive. Not too bad. 

HesCalledDyer I think I would like to see the Smashing Pumpkins the most out of that list though they are nowheres near me again this summer. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,488
    Pearl Jam has become the side gig... and that’s fine

id love to see at least 2 shows every year, get an album every 3-4 years... I’ll still not think any less of them. They’ve always done things in their comfort zone and their own way... whatever we get at this point is gravy 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,224
    How about Wilco? Jeff also has a family? Around the same age as PJ and two solo records late last year and a new Wilco album forthcoming in Oct. And plenty of touring.

No worries because word is Soundgarden was trying to work on a project but were told Matt has PJ commitments.
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    They just toured in Europe last summer. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    How about Wilco? Jeff also has a family? Around the same age as PJ and two solo records late last year and a new Wilco album forthcoming in Oct. And plenty of touring.

No worries because word is Soundgarden was trying to work on a project but were told Matt has PJ commitments.
    Soundgarden without Cornell would just be Garden...
  • Options
    They just toured in Europe last summer. 
    And what a great fucking tour it was! The 7 shows in the states were great too but I am dying for an arena tour back here. 2020 has got to be the year with the new album coming out I am guessing. 
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304

Soundgarden was literally in the middle of a tour when it ended and had been recording new stuff right before that. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,869
    Me personally, I am ridin this bitch till the finish line.  That last show at Fenway last summer was HUGE!  They got plenty left in the tank.
  • Options
    EB218946 said:
    Me personally, I am ridin this bitch till the finish line.  That last show at Fenway last summer was HUGE!  They got plenty left in the tank.
    Same... they're going to have to do a lot worse than taking some time off for me to jump ship.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    EB218946 said:
    Same here. With so many people jumping ship I’m looking forward to better seats. 
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Nothing has really changed in the past 5 years but somehow it's a huge shock to people in 2019 that they aren't as active as they were in the early to mid 2000's?      
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    Nothing has really changed in the past 5 years but somehow it's a huge shock to people in 2019 that they aren't as active as they were in the early to mid 2000's?      
    5 years ago LB was 1 year old and the band was touring. If you told me then that in the next 5 years the band would barely sniff a studio, would cancel the fanclub single but not reduce the price of membership, and play AT BEST a handful of shows a year I wouldn't have believed it
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,468
    NewJPage said:
    5 years ago LB was 1 year old and the band was touring. If you told me then that in the next 5 years the band would barely sniff a studio, would cancel the fanclub single but not reduce the price of membership, and play AT BEST a handful of shows a year I wouldn't have believed it
    Sounds like How I Pictures the band 5 years ago. Dont see the Big surprise to be honest. The writing was on the wall about albums and tours. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.