Face Recognition

Face Recognition.

It scares the hell out of me.  I'm actually thinking about starting a campaign to outlaw it.  

There is something to be said when there are cameras everywhere to watch your every move.  The more cameras we have the less cops we would need though, that much I get.

I wonder if in the future we would end up like the movie "Demolition Man" and have docile cops?

So facial recognition to me, is something that can be used for more harm than good. This might be the conspiracy theorist in my head talking but I just can't see this being a good thing in the long run.

On a good note, Amazon flopped on their test run.  So maybe there is still hope?

Thoughts?

This could be a good segue into the "Is Tech taking over our lives" thread.

https://gizmodo.com/test-of-amazons-face-recognition-by-orlando-cops-ends-a-1836533927

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    I have read about to many murders that has been solved (here in Sweden) with the help of people being caught on camera, that I have problems screaming about 1984 when it comes to it. And Sweden is very restrictive when it comes to cameras in public spaces. 

London has the most cameras per capita of any city I think(?) and also has one of the best police departments when it comes to solving crime. 

I am more worried about face-replacement tech being used for fake news than face recognition cameras.

https://youtu.be/AQvCmQFScMA
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I have read about to many murders that has been solved (here in Sweden) with the help of people being caught on camera, that I have problems screaming about 1984 when it comes to it. And Sweden is very restrictive when it comes to cameras in public spaces. 

London has the most cameras per capita of any city I think(?) and also has one of the best police departments when it comes to solving crime. 

I am more worried about face-replacement tech being used for fake news than face recognition cameras.

https://youtu.be/AQvCmQFScMA
    I believe China has everyone beat w the cameras.

The media altering is something that I also wonder about.  Can it ever be a time when video evidence would be dismissed in court because of the tech that would be out there and the ability to alter it and not know?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    China is using it and it's scary
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    And just think, Russia now has the faces (current and projected “old”) of anyone that used this so called “faceapp”.  I’m sure that in the age of facial recognized and deepfake tech, nothing sinister is planned...

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Just like we have no say in the amount of cameras that capture...you’ll have no choice i
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I wouldn’t step foot in China...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Yeah, I’m not a fan. It just seems like there is a rush to market from the tech companies and we haven’t completely thought this through. Just my $0.02.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Pretty sure like most things, facial recognition is more scared of most of you than you are of it!
    hippiemom = goodness
    mfc2006 said:
    Yeah, I’m not a fan. It just seems like there is a rush to market from the tech companies and we haven’t completely thought this through. Just my $0.02.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Here are two solutions:

1.  Find a double, blame any infractions on him or her.  Here is my double.  A friend of mine saw this photo in  a yoga book.  This person looks almost exactly like I did about 20 years ago:

2.  A good disguise is another choice:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Here are two solutions:

1.  Find a double, blame any infractions on him or her.  Here is my double.  A friend of mine saw this photo in  a yoga book.  This person looks almost exactly like I did about 20 years ago:

There were two gang-members here in Gothenburg who were twins. So, the cops could never ID who of them actually had done specific crimes.

Then I think one of them was shot dead in his car. Made it easier.
    brianlux said:
    Here are two solutions:

There were two gang-members here in Gothenburg who were twins. So, the cops could never ID who of them actually had done specific crimes.

Don't spook me!  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Here are two solutions:

Who shot the dude.  The police?  Just saying it seems like the would have good motive? /s
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    Here are two solutions:

Who shot the dude.  The police?  Just saying it seems like the would have good motive? /s
    Quick question:  I notice this at the end of various threads,  "/s"  What is that?

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Most everyone has a video camera in their pocket... and we worry about the government?  A government could only dream of pulling off what Apple has already done. 

here is what happens when government tries to use face recognition technology ...

edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Here are two solutions:

Quick question:  I notice this at the end of various threads,  "/s"  What is that?
    sarcasm/sarcastic

EDIT:

Indicates the presence of sarcasm.
    Man, I wish George Bush could take another 4 years, especially after his work ontorture- who'd have thought such a fair and moral decision could have been made? 

/s
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    Jason P said:
    Most everyone has a video camera in their pocket... and we worry about the government?  A government could only dream of pulling off what Apple has already done. 

here is what happens when government tries to use face recognition technology ...

lol
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Speaking of that:

The Czech branch of the Chinese company Huawei is suspected of collecting sensitive data on officials and businessmen through its employees. This material is allegedly gathered during business meetings and subsequently entered into a central database to which the company’s headquarters in China have access. Czech Radio’s investigative team at Radiožurnál broke the story, citing former Huawei employees and Czech intelligence sources.”
    Speaking of that:

”The Czech branch of the Chinese company Huawei is suspected of collecting sensitive data on officials and businessmen through its employees. This material is allegedly gathered during business meetings and subsequently entered into a central database to which the company’s headquarters in China have access. Czech Radio’s investigative team at Radiožurnál broke the story, citing former Huawei employees and Czech intelligence sources.”
    Im a little concerned. I was staying in Prague and there was. Huawei “safety conference” in my hotel.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited July 2019
    Speaking of that:

”The Czech branch of the Chinese company Huawei is suspected of collecting sensitive data on officials and businessmen through its employees. This material is allegedly gathered during business meetings and subsequently entered into a central database to which the company’s headquarters in China have access. Czech Radio’s investigative team at Radiožurnál broke the story, citing former Huawei employees and Czech intelligence sources.”
    Im a little concerned. I was staying in Prague and there was. Huawei “safety conference” in my hotel.
    Staying in prague Steele Dossier-style?
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    As mentioned earlier, cameras are all over - plus cell phones.  And I just saw a commercial for a phone with that recognition feature.

Say hello to the future!
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Here are two solutions:

sarcasm/sarcastic

EDIT:

Indicates the presence of sarcasm.
    Man, I wish George Bush could take another 4 years, especially after his work ontorture- who'd have thought such a fair and moral decision could have been made? 

/s
    Ah, I see.  Thank you!

Hi! said:
    I didn't know it was possible to have an older identical twin, LOL!

hedonist said:
    As mentioned earlier, cameras are all over - plus cell phones.  And I just saw a commercial for a phone with that recognition feature.

Say hello to the future!
    Phones have had it for awhile. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    hedonist said:

Say hello to the future!
    Phones have had it for awhile. 
    Yeah, I think even my flip phone does.  One of these days I'll try to figure out how to use it.

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    My poor Mom, she was in labor for 30 years.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:
    brianlux said:
    Hi! said:
    My poor Mom, she was in labor for 30 years.
    :rofl:

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Same here. I've already spoken against their regime on Facebook so they'd arrest me if I did go there.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Hi! said:
    Freddie P?