The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Bernie forgot to mention tax rates in his tweet.  That's seems like an unusual oversight on his part.  
    No. Its pretty obvious. 

Abd with our tax rates that you fear so much and losing big compared to by any quality of life metric - we pay half of your cost in health care. And were pretty expensive compared to other European countries.

so just go to bed with your me-me-me outllok on society. 
    Yep I'll do that gladly with my 24% effective rate.  Thanks.  And you can sleep well in your second rate country as well.  I aim high,  you aim... let's call it mediocre at best. 
    I pay 25%. If you are speaking percentage of pay. 

You still pay double for your healthcare. So be daft if you wish to.

And show me one Quality of Life metric where Sweden would be "second rate" compared to the US?

Fucking debate from within reality if you gonna debate. But obviously you are unable to.

"B-b-but MRI if I pay for it. B-b-but WW2. B-b-but magic eagles soaring over our land. F-f-fuck everyone else"

The Nickelback of arguments.
    24% has to be USA federal only? If so that's a very high effective rate so congrats on the AGI!

Total tax rate in USA including state local income tax sales tax gas tax property tax SS tax etc. has to be closer to 45%.
    mcgruff10 said:
    People in her glorifying driving their SUVs while it being a big environmental problem.

Amazing.
    Maybe I should get a Mini Cooper and tie my kids to various parts of the car.  Two kids on the hood, one can hang from the bumper and the the other two can sit on top of each other in the back.

McGruff dropping the kids off at school... ;)

I was going to go with...are their names Jeff Mike Matt Ed and Stone? 

Teach each an instrument and some covers and who needs a new album and world tour? Amirite??
    ^^^  Is the issue really that Americans are just sicker than the Swedes and therefore take more medicine?

When will a candidate turn to the American people and say, "Take responsibility for yourselves. Quit eating shit, start exercising, drink all your water, quit smoking, get enough sleep, manage your stress -- then maybe you won't be spending so much on medication"?  When will someone turn to the industrial food manufacturers and say "Enough is enough, you're killing people"? At what point will WE demand that Congress stop subsidizing corn, wheat ,and soy to produce all the crap food people are eating, and start subsidizing a sustainable agriculture system that produces a wealth of crops known to be human life-sustaining? When does a candidate run on "Free Gym Memberships for Everybody!!" instead of promising them "Free Pills!!" to keep them alive in their miserable health? 

Marianne Williamson for President!!

For goodness sake, let's change the conversation in this country around health care. 

Probably the worst 10c comment ever. Congrats. 

Blame the victim is the most childish and uninformed position to take.

Have you ever considered some on here have family member who were BORN WITH conditions that require medicine costing THOUSANDS of dollars a year?

Of course not.  Because people like you only care about people like you.

The truth is other countries negotiate ON BEHALF OF THEIR CITIZENS TO ACQUIRE THE SAME DRUGS AT A FRACTION OF THE UNIT COST.

Yes americans subsidize foreign countries.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Bernie forgot to mention tax rates in his tweet.  That's seems like an unusual oversight on his part.  
    No. Its pretty obvious. 

Abd with our tax rates that you fear so much and losing big compared to by any quality of life metric - we pay half of your cost in health care. And were pretty expensive compared to other European countries.

so just go to bed with your me-me-me outllok on society. 
    Yep I'll do that gladly with my 24% effective rate.  Thanks.  And you can sleep well in your second rate country as well.  I aim high,  you aim... let's call it mediocre at best. 
    I pay 25%. If you are speaking percentage of pay. 

You still pay double for your healthcare. So be daft if you wish to.

And show me one Quality of Life metric where Sweden would be "second rate" compared to the US?

Fucking debate from within reality if you gonna debate. But obviously you are unable to.

"B-b-but MRI if I pay for it. B-b-but WW2. B-b-but magic eagles soaring over our land. F-f-fuck everyone else"

The Nickelback of arguments.
    24% has to be USA federal only? If so that's a very high effective rate so congrats on the AGI!

Total tax rate in USA including state local income tax sales tax gas tax property tax SS tax etc. has to be closer to 45%.
    He's Swedish.  24% is very low.  If you make 1.2% of national average, you rate jumps into the 50's I believe.  
    As far as 45%, I think that's really difficult to say because of the state and municipality differences for property, income and sales tax.  But it's easy to see why a person would think taxes are too high already, without substantial increase in social benefits and the corresponding costs.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Beto O'Rourke says he is descended from slave owners, supports reparations to unite 'two Americas'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/14/beto-orourke-descended-slave-owners-supports-reparations/1731564001/

I read he is worth 9 million?  Why doesn't this clown give up his fortune if he feels so guilty?  Only one segment is entitled to compensation.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    ^^^  Is the issue really that Americans are just sicker than the Swedes and therefore take more medicine?

When will a candidate turn to the American people and say, "Take responsibility for yourselves. Quit eating shit, start exercising, drink all your water, quit smoking, get enough sleep, manage your stress -- then maybe you won't be spending so much on medication"?  When will someone turn to the industrial food manufacturers and say "Enough is enough, you're killing people"? At what point will WE demand that Congress stop subsidizing corn, wheat ,and soy to produce all the crap food people are eating, and start subsidizing a sustainable agriculture system that produces a wealth of crops known to be human life-sustaining? When does a candidate run on "Free Gym Memberships for Everybody!!" instead of promising them "Free Pills!!" to keep them alive in their miserable health? 

For goodness sake, let's change the conversation in this country around health care. 

Have you ever considered some on here have family member who were BORN WITH conditions that require medicine costing THOUSANDS of dollars a year?

The truth is other countries negotiate ON BEHALF OF THEIR CITIZENS TO ACQUIRE THE SAME DRUGS AT A FRACTION OF THE UNIT COST.

I'm assuming you did not read my follow up comment to Hedonist. I'm very aware that people are born with conditions. I absolutely believe that uses of insurance are not equal. 

Hyperbolic attacks on people will get us nowhere. Being truthful about the complexity of the issue will.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:

I don't disagree at all, but what of those who have been taking the (supposed) right steps and still get sick?  Those who by the luck of the draw become ill?  People like me who had a hand in their illness (cirrhosis) but are now on a healthier path?  The cost of insurance alone is prohibitive...being out of work and having to pay over $800 *edit - monthly for coverage could be considered pretty stressful.  And the healthy ones whose insurance is still sky-high?  Then factor in dependents, spouse, etc...

Or simply when life happens.

These questions aren't for you - or anyone, really - to answer.  I'm not sure there are answers. 

(Brian, what the hell is an "Official Curator of Feminine Divinity"?  I feel like I'm missing some newfangled buzzword you crazy kids use.) 
    Hedonist, I understand that life happens. I am a thyroid cancer survivor, and other than living in Chernobyl, there is really no other known cause for it besides just bad luck. Great health insurance enabled me to get well for the low, low cost of $1300 out of pocket. I have a best friend who recently died from a rare autoimmune disease after four liver transplants and a new kidney. Thank God for her and her family that she had excellent insurance. This is the essence of insurance. It's supposed to be for unexpected catastrophes.

Metabolic syndrome, caused by feeding on cheeseburgers and lasagna while sitting in front of the TV over a lifetime, is personal negligence, not an accidental catastrophe. I just looked up the costs of this epidemic and found this:

"The total cost of the malady including the cost of health care and loss of potential economic activity is in the trillions. The present trend is not sustainable unless a magic cure is found (unlikely) or concerted global/governmental/societal efforts are made to change the lifestyle that is promoting it."  (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5866840/)

I am not against getting to universal healthcare by allowing people to opt in to Medicare. I am not against the individual mandate and required coverage of pre-existing conditions. I would like very much for there to be price controls on life-saving drugs and for insurance companies to bring premiums and deductibles down. But we will never, ever get there if we continue to excuse people from their responsibility in their exorbitant health costs.       
    First, pffft to the "worst comment" award.

I'm sorry for your ills, and I'm with you in being fortunate to have good insurance (expensive, but still) that has afforded me some of the best care available.  Just paid $300 for a recent hospital stay costing $11K+.  How or where on earth I'd be now without that, I've no idea.

And, not to make light (fine, I am but it's fitting, dammit), your mentioning of metabolic syndrome reminded me of this :)

https://youtu.be/GMoGg_PYIC0
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You can agree with Biden. 

Or you can agree with Harris. 

Or, you can agree with Trump:

Asked again about busing, Trump says: "It has been something that they've done for a long period of time. There aren't that many ways of getting people to schools."

King Moron. 
    Technically he is correct.  There are probably 5 ways.  Buses, walking, rides, skateboard, bike.  The dude is playing 3d chess.  You're just not up to the game. 
      jet packs. where are the goddamned jet packs. supposed to have them by now.....

for space force school......
    https://youtu.be/01qgI5NL5HA
    That thing is fucking awesome - the future is officially here. Now can we please stop calling those things that are still on wheels hover boards?? :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

Asked again about busing, Trump says: "It has been something that they've done for a long period of time. There aren't that many ways of getting people to schools."

King Moron. 
    Technically he is correct.  There are probably 5 ways.  Buses, walking, rides, skateboard, bike.  The dude is playing 3d chess.  You're just not up to the game. 

That thing is fucking awesome - the future is officially here. Now can we please stop calling those things that are still on wheels hover boards?? :tongue:

I was on my phone before so didn't bother watching. Just saw it on my laptop and holy hell that would be fantastic (minus the weapons, of course). Sign me up!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Biden announces his healthcare.  It's similar to what we discussed here months ago, allowing people to exit their private insurance and enter a paid medicare market.  Here are some bullets and a link to a WashPo about it.  I"m not sure I like bullet two, because it appears to reward citizens in states that refuse to expand medicare.  Now maybe there's some sort of penalty on the state gov't that isn't in the high level summary.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/07/15/joe-biden-proposes-radical-leftist-health-care-plan/?utm_term=.a61c7120fe6d

• Create a public option “like Medicare” that would be open to anyone, including those who currently have insurance through their employer.
    • In Republican states that refused to expand Medicaid, allow all eligible people to get the new public option for free.
    • Automatically enroll low-income people in Medicaid or the public option when they interact with the government.
    • Increase ACA subsidies to make insurance more affordable.
    • Force drug companies to negotiate prices with Medicare.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

King Moron. 

Seriously!  The things they currently call “hover boards” are not even close.  Back to the Future 2 & 3 would have sucked if those were the “hover boards” that Marty used to save the day.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited July 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

King Moron. 

Seriously!  The things they currently call “hover boards” are not even close.  Back to the Future 2 & 3 would have sucked if those were the “hover boards” that Marty used to save the day.
    Until the French Military gets the Kirk Gibson Jr. Slugger 2000, I will remain unimpressed.
    Post edited by Hi! on

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    Hi! said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

King Moron. 

Until the French Military gets the Kirk Gibson Jr. Slugger 2000, I will remain unimpressed.
    No doubt!
    CM189191 said:

Partisan hack
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:

Partisan hack
    Bootlicker
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    CM189191 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:

Partisan hack
    Bootlicker
    Lol
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

I'm assuming you did not read my follow up comment to Hedonist. I'm very aware that people are born with conditions. I absolutely believe that uses of insurance are not equal. 

Hyperbolic attacks on people will get us nowhere. Being truthful about the complexity of the issue will.

I did miss that comment.

I got very frustrated with the blaming the victim comment. We had a specialist recommend a drug that I believe to be important but its not life saving at this point in time.

But the condition has nothing to do with lifestyle.

What makes the matter worse is we found out the uninsured cost is thousands per month from the insurance company, not the doctor. It would have been nice to have a cost benefit discussion with the doctor and knowing what the approx cost is up front.

Thankfully it's mostly covered, but having a potential cost hanging over your head is not fun.

I did miss that comment.

I got very frustrated with the blaming the victim comment. We had a specialist recommend a drug that I believe to be important but its not life saving at this point in time.

But the condition has nothing to do with lifestyle.

What makes the matter worse is we found out the uninsured cost is thousands per month from the insurance company, not the doctor. It would have been nice to have a cost benefit discussion with the doctor and knowing what the approx cost is up front.

Thankfully it's mostly covered, but having a potential cost hanging over your head is not fun.
    In Sweden your cost would be at most 240 dollars a year.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited July 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Biden announces his healthcare.  It's similar to what we discussed here months ago, allowing people to exit their private insurance and enter a paid medicare market.  Here are some bullets and a link to a WashPo about it.  I"m not sure I like bullet two, because it appears to reward citizens in states that refuse to expand medicare.  Now maybe there's some sort of penalty on the state gov't that isn't in the high level summary.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/07/15/joe-biden-proposes-radical-leftist-health-care-plan/?utm_term=.a61c7120fe6d

• Create a public option “like Medicare” that would be open to anyone, including those who currently have insurance through their employer.
    • In Republican states that refused to expand Medicaid, allow all eligible people to get the new public option for free.
    • Automatically enroll low-income people in Medicaid or the public option when they interact with the government.

Biden can negotiate with big pharma all he wants. These companies know how to gouge, laugh and flip the bird. And if necessary, bribe Biden.  Uh I meant donate millions to his campaign 

A fix to the exorbitant drug prices paid by americans to american drug companies would be to implement a price control that would limit prices to 105% of the average rate paid to the drug company by the 20 largest non american countries.

Edit, that's a nice free market solution. It allows americans to pay the rate that big pharma already negotiated freely with foreign countries. 
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    mrussel1 said:

Biden can negotiate with big pharma all he wants. These companies know how to gouge, laugh and flip the bird. And if necessary, bribe Biden.  Uh I meant donate millions to his campaign 

A fix to the exorbitant drug prices paid by americans to american drug companies would be to implement a price control that would limit prices to 105% of the average rate paid to the drug company by the 20 largest non american countries.

Edit, that's a nice free market solution. It allows americans to pay the rate that big pharma already negotiated freely with foreign countries. 
    Cynicism on drug prices noted.  What about the rest of the plan, compared to the plan of others?

I would not vote for anyone that acknowledges Cardi B...just sayin’
    PJPOWER said:

Cardi B < Ted Cruz
    PJPOWER said:

Cardi B < Ted Cruz
    They're both idiots in their own unique way.  Her opinion carries zero weight with me too, as do most opinions.   
    PJPOWER said:

Cardi B < Ted Cruz
    Meh, i’d still probably vote for Cruz over...B(?).  Same story with O’Rourke.
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Cardi B < Ted Cruz
    They're both idiots in their own unique way.  Her opinion carries zero weight with me too, as do most opinions.   
    I agree. 

But still Cardi B < Ted Cruz
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Is "America will NOT be socialist" enough to defeat any of these candidates?  It's picking up a lot of momentum and I think apolitical Americans are likely to be scared by that (moreso that authoritarianism).

So who's the best candidate to try to counter that?  Joe Biden-Basic old moderate democrat?  Someone like Klobuchar?  Or should the Dems just steer into the skid and nominate Bernie and watch him debate his intellectual inferior on the very topic?  

I tend to think Biden, but that doesn't account for his failure of the purity test that sends a lot of the hard left to vote 3rd.  

Maybe it doesn't matter.  Maybe the GOP d to just keeps screaming "socialist" and that's really enough for an easy Trump win. 

Fuck it, throw the hail mary; nominate Kamala or Booker and hope for the n-bomb (though that might not be enough, anyway).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
This discussion has been closed.