A Declaration

2»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    We sealed the fate of the indigenous peoples of the new world when we declared ourselves rulers of the land. 

Oh, and people don't own the land.  You cannot own land.  You can only co-exist with it or (eventually) die.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    We sealed the fate of the indigenous peoples of the new world when we declared ourselves rulers of the land. 

Oh, and people don't own the land.  You cannot own land.  You can only co-exist with it or (eventually) die.
    Very well said.  The treatment and continued poor treatment of 1st nations people will always be the biggest stain on North America.  With that said...kicking Britain out was a good decision and I want Canada to decolonize from Britain and so do many 1st nations people... let's not forget it was not Americans or Canadians who tried to eliminate 1st nations people it was Europeans.  And now we need to fix the mess that created.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Not to mention that some people who start today with 10 digits will be missing some by the end of the festivities.

Give Peas A Chance…

If the 1st nations had to do it all again...there would be a lot of Euros at the bottom of the Ocean...and that's what they should have done...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    Not to mention that some people who start today with 10 digits will be missing some by the end of the festivities.

alwaystrust the guy with the eyepatch and missing 3 fingers to sell you the good firworks.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

alwaystrust the guy with the eyepatch and missing 3 fingers to sell you the good firworks.....
    True that...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

If the 1st nations had to do it all again...there would be a lot of Euros at the bottom of the Ocean...and that's what they should have done...
    I don't know what you are talking about. Usually you throw pennies and other coins into a wishing well, not the ocean. Not very good for ocean life either I would imagine. 

Start caring about nature.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Pissing contest even here?  Jesus.

I know I've posted it before, but some of my favorite childhood memories include helping my dad hang the flag on our porch, and folding it with him afterward, military-style.  No matter how much fun the day included, this was a solemn ritual for him, and therefore for me.  Did the same on Veteran's Day, Memorial, etc.

I'm happy to celebrate this country if only for affording him the freedom and opportunity as a young kid making his way here alone from Germany.  I wouldn't exist but for this.

Looking forward to the fireworks tonight.  If the skies are clear, we should have a panorama from our balcony :prayer:

Hopefully not too many jackasses out there with access to some nice explosive works.  Like that'll ever happen.

I don't know what you are talking about. Usually you throw pennies and other coins into a wishing well, not the ocean. Not very good for ocean life either I would imagine. 

Europeans? Is that better?  They invaded the 1st nation lands and stole it?  They were the aggressors...Now our government that is made of descendants of immigrants just do enough to fool many people...

There are a few 1st nations politicians, but not enough...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited July 2019

Europeans? Is that better?  They invaded the 1st nation lands and stole it?  They were the aggressors...Now our government that is made of descendants of immigrants just do enough to fool many people...

There are a few 1st nations politicians, but not enough...
    How often do you pick T.Hark when you drop in a coin to play Super Street Fighter II at your local arcade?

But yes. I agree with what "we" did to the native americans can not be forgiven. The country should be given back.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    hedonist said:

I know I've posted it before, but some of my favorite childhood memories include helping my dad hang the flag on our porch, and folding it with him afterward, military-style.  No matter how much fun the day included, this was a solemn ritual for him, and therefore for me.  Did the same on Veteran's Day, Memorial, etc.

I'm happy to celebrate this country if only for affording him the freedom and opportunity as a young kid making his way here alone from Germany.  I wouldn't exist but for this.

Looking forward to the fireworks tonight.  If the skies are clear, we should have a panorama from our balcony :prayer:

Hopefully not too many jackasses out there with access to some nice explosive works.  Like that'll ever happen.
    Point taken.  I was not into a pissing contest.  I just think it's important on these days to remind people that the 4th and Canada Day really are just dates on the calendar and this continent 1st nations people are rightful owners...immigrants and descendants of immigrants need to be reminded of that...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Anyone watching INDEPENDENCE DAY tonight?

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Declaration

Take this song of freedom
    Put it on and arm yourself for the fight
    Our hearts must have the courage
    To keep on marching on and on.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

hedonist said:

Point taken.  I was not into a pissing contest.  I just think it's important on these days to remind people that the 4th and Canada Day really are just dates on the calendar and this continent 1st nations people are rightful owners...immigrants and descendants of immigrants need to be reminded of that...
    I don't need no stinkin' reminders.  I am aware of some history beyond my own.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    unpopular war started by the rich minority, the poor died and rich reaped rewards, won with French help.

and just think the US could've ended up like Canada or Australia.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    This will sound  stupid but arent all people other than 1st nation. descendents? Of euros? The whole world is mixed up. I hate  the fact England.  Holland and italians oh and irish all moved around and enslaved people of different colours and creed. But i cant wear the pain for actions of under educated people so long ago that we cant change it or we all would.  But  i find it rude if im honest that i or anyone of this generation can  be responsible.  We live in a different age completely.  You  do have  people mistreating others sure but boats  of people are no longer en route  to steal men and boys . Thank  god. Or rah the sun god or whoever you want . We are all independant here on this board and can really go and end up anywhere  peacefully.  Thats great
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Oh, well.  Good for you.  I'm not going to stop discussing it.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    This will sound  stupid but arent all people other than 1st nation. descendents? Of euros? The whole world is mixed up. I hate  the fact England.  Holland and italians oh and irish all moved around and enslaved people of different colours and creed. But i cant wear the pain for actions of under educated people so long ago that we cant change it or we all would.  But  i find it rude if im honest that i or anyone of this generation can  be responsible.  We live in a different age completely.  You  do have  people mistreating others sure but boats  of people are no longer en route  to steal men and boys . Thank  god. Or rah the sun god or whoever you want . We are all independant here on this board and can really go and end up anywhere  peacefully.  Thats great
    You are right, we can not change the past...but we need to do better.  Just today I read an article about a 1st nation's reserve in Northern Ontario is being told not to use their water because the chemicals in the water cause cancer if consumed or absorbed through the skin.  This is 2019 in Canada, imagine that...and there are other reserves that need clean water as well.  The sad part about our 1st nation people is that the illegal border hoppers coming up through the US are treated better than our 1st nation's citizens...The thing is 1st nations people are not asking people to leave or to their land back, they just want to compensate appropriately for the land they lost and of course, they want their infrastructure issues addressed.

1st nations issues are about past history as well it should be focused on the present and the future as well.  

Ist nations issues are always election issues in Canada.  The US never discusses it.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

Oh, well.  Good for you.  I'm not going to stop discussing it.  
    Not sure how you inferred that from what I wrote. Wasn’t asking you or anyone to “stop”. I was giving my (gasp!) opinion.