Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

18910111214»

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Canada aims to ban single-use plastics by 2021

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the ban will likely include plastic bags, straws, cutlery, plates, and stir sticks.

If it’s not a complete ban of ALL single use plastic then any ban is pointless.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the ban will likely include plastic bags, straws, cutlery, plates, and stir sticks.

Spoken like a true curmudgeon!  :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Noy at all.  This Clown declared a climate emergency in Parliament.  The bnext day he approved a 9.5 billion (tax $$$) pilepiline that is very controversial.  A week later, he committed 270 million (tax $$$) to invest in an LNG facility.  Trudeau and BC are leftest paradises...so please explain how much the left is doing?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Noy at all.  This Clown declared a climate emergency in Parliament.  The bnext day he approved a 9.5 billion (tax $$$) pilepiline that is very controversial.  A week later, he committed 270 million (tax $$$) to invest in an LNG facility.  Trudeau and BC are leftest paradises...so please explain how much the left is doing?
    Well, for starters. They seem to be banning a hell of a lot of single-use plastics.

Hopefully Sweden and the rest of Europe follows. And who knows, maybe the US after Trumps second term.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Well, for starters. They seem to be banning a hell of a lot of single-use plastics.

Hopefully Sweden and the rest of Europe follows. And who knows, maybe the US after Trumps second term.
    Yes, and I think it's a good start.  More is needed, that's for sure, but I'm glad to see things moving that way.  I hope we start to move away from plastic even faster.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Yes, and I think it's a good start.  More is needed, that's for sure, but I'm glad to see things moving that way.  I hope we start to move away from plastic even faster.
    Then ban all plastic, as soon as possible?  What's the problem with that?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

And nothing has been banned yet.  We have an election in October and if the Conservatives are neck and neck with the liberals.  Conservatives win, they'll have their own platform and agenda...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

Then ban all plastic, as soon as possible?  What's the problem with that?  

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Go Canada!

And nothing has been banned yet.  We have an election in October and if the Conservatives are neck and neck with the liberals.  Conservatives win, they'll have their own platform and agenda...
    Sadly, bureaucracy is like molasses in January.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    edited April 2020
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Because of budget cutbacks our county stopped recycling...  
    Apparently lock everything down and keep people home... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Apparently lock everything down and keep people home... 

Well, not everything- hospitals, police, fire, some government, farms, grocery stores, gas stations- lots of people still working.   But, yeah, a lot has shut down and the earth is better off for it.  We will come out of this with much loss- that is sad and tragic- but the planet that sustains us and makes life possible will be healthier.

For real...those people are still working who knew...

the point being the world is over populated...take a good hunk of the people off the street...the environment improves.

Give Peas A Chance…
    For real...those people are still working who knew...

the point being the world is over populated...take a good hunk of the people off the street...the environment improves.

I think you could make an argument that over-population might have caused the pandemic assuming, that is, that it was caused by wet markets in a country too over-populated and forced to eat bats.  But that could be bunk- I really don't know.  IN any case, yes, the human population is out of control.

Well, that kind of trashed my morning...

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Isn't it gloriously fortunate that the movement isn't part of his horrifying crime? May she Rest in Peace. Now what can we do to take better care of our world?
    Stay safe all. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    edited April 2020
    This guy was not a co-founder of Earth Day. He was involved in hosting one of the events for the first Earth Day. I wrote a research paper in grad school on the history of the environmental movement. The actual founders of Earth Day were Senator Gaylord Nelson, and Denis Hayes. A lot of people were involved in bringing the celebrations around the country to the public - this guy was one of them. But he was not a co-founder.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
    MF117973 said:
    This guy was not a co-founder of Earth Day. He was involved in hosting one of the events for the first Earth Day. I wrote a research paper in grad school on the history of the environmental movement. The actual founders of Earth Day were Senator Gaylord Nelso, and Denis Hayes. A lot of people were involved in bringing the celebrations around the country to the public - this guy was one of them. But he was not a co-founder.

Thank you for setting the record straight! 

Good news!

The end of plastic? New plant-based bottles will degrade in a year

I like this part a lot:
    "In time, Avantium plans to use plant sugars from sustainable sourced biowaste so that the rise of plant plastic does not affect the global food supply chain."

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    It's crazy how much the air has cleared up during all of this.

I'm in Victoria which is pretty close to Washington State.  We can see the Olympic Mountains, Mt. Baker., San Juan Islands, etc... no problem because of how close they are.   
    Lately we've been able to see Mt. Rainier which is something like 250km away.   Something you can't usually see from here.    I guess the pollution in Washington State (Seattle) must be way down for us to be able to see it.  I've only ever seen it while I've been closer to it.  Amazing times.

edited June 2020

Post edited by Pap on