Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:

That's likey the truth.  When they start banning plastic bottles for water and when those for-profit water bottling companies, in some cases are allowed to drain water from our lakes for next to nothing (nestle come to mind) go out of business, then I'll take the plastic straw ban as serious...everyone pretty much has safe cleaning drinking water in western society...go to a Costco, people walk out of those places with bottled like they drink a case a day...lmfao.
    million times this.  My moms fridge is full of small plastic water bottles.  I drink from the tap, but she thinks 'it tastes funny'.

Filter it for F's sake than
    Yes, there are plenty of options for filtering water, everything from Brita to a system installed under your sink work.  That is why I laugh at the environmentalist in the government...straws are the problem?  Plastic is the problem, ban all plastic now...

My Dad says the same thing your Mother says...jeesh.  I think it only tastes different because of bottled water.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:

That's likey the truth.  When they start banning plastic bottles for water and when those for-profit water bottling companies, in some cases are allowed to drain water from our lakes for next to nothing (nestle come to mind) go out of business, then I'll take the plastic straw ban as serious...everyone pretty much has safe cleaning drinking water in western society...go to a Costco, people walk out of those places with bottled like they drink a case a day...lmfao.
    million times this.  My moms fridge is full of small plastic water bottles.  I drink from the tap, but she thinks 'it tastes funny'.

Filter it for F's sake than
    Yes, there are plenty of options for filtering water, everything from Brita to a system installed under your sink work.  That is why I laugh at the environmentalist in the government...straws are the problem?  Plastic is the problem, ban all plastic now...

My Dad says the same thing your Mother says...jeesh.  I think it only tastes different because of bottled water.

I'm told that a lot of bottled waters have sodium added to make people want to drink more... so more plastic. 

My stainless steel refillable water bottle is working just fine for when I'm out and about.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Malaysia to ship back tonnes of plastic waste to Canada and other nations

https://globalnews.ca/news/5324429/malaysia-ship-back-plastic-waste-canada/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR2DbjjUPOov3lJ2FCbW0RHXL69ku0CXax4YSTY2SaHsrZ1_WFRmihAn6Hg

Good for them.  Dump the damn garbage on the beaches.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

https://globalnews.ca/news/5324429/malaysia-ship-back-plastic-waste-canada/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalNational&fbclid=IwAR2DbjjUPOov3lJ2FCbW0RHXL69ku0CXax4YSTY2SaHsrZ1_WFRmihAn6Hg

First world countries have a NIMBY on a national scale attitude about trash.  Give it to someone else to deal with!  Yeah, good for Malaysia.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

First world countries have a NIMBY on a national scale attitude about trash.  Give it to someone else to deal with!  Yeah, good for Malaysia.
    I am glad they are sending it back...if we cannot figure out what to do with our rubbish...then the environmental movement is done.  The reason so many people like carbon taxes is because they are lazy and it makes them feel good, even though the planet is way past a point of no return.  Jeesh, the world cannot even ban plastic, even though there is overwhelming evidence that the Oceans are being destroyed...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    "Air pollution kills more people than smoking or wars".

Interesting and somewhat hopeful article about the effects of air pollution and what can be done when government has the will to do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-may-26-2019-1.5146999/air-pollution-kills-more-people-than-smoking-or-wars-1.5148264
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    "Air pollution kills more people than smoking or wars".

Interesting and somewhat hopeful article about the effects of air pollution and what can be done when government has the will to do it.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-may-26-2019-1.5146999/air-pollution-kills-more-people-than-smoking-or-wars-1.5148264
    I remember reading years ago that Flagstaff, Arizona was declared to be the last city in America with truly clean air.   ...and then it wasn't.  :frowning:  

Canada can expect more nations to send trash back: expert

https://trib.al/GLMvvNb?fbclid=IwAR3Spd_PKV-aLaUWG3KmEaBO2puzD_YXZnhAbNqzEigbIp0I7ajYxFyBEcQ
    Canada is a world leader in waste production, generating more per capita than the U.S., the U.K. and Japan.

Hey, at least we lead the world something.  I guess Canadians are not great environmentalist...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Canada can expect more nations to send trash back: expert

https://trib.al/GLMvvNb?fbclid=IwAR3Spd_PKV-aLaUWG3KmEaBO2puzD_YXZnhAbNqzEigbIp0I7ajYxFyBEcQ
    Canada is a world leader in waste production, generating more per capita than the U.S., the U.K. and Japan.

Hey, at least we lead the world something.  I guess Canadians are not great environmentalist...

That's because other countries are finally saying:

Carnival slapped with a $20 million fine after it was caught dumping trash into the ocean, again
    https://www.businessinsider.com/carnival-pay-20-million-after-admitting-violating-settlement-2019-6?utm_content=bufferceeb6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-travel&fbclid=IwAR0Qs1XF_n-Gvcc42gEWBXTwg8YnJlsZ43-ylPseYQzG7xq7vwcIQgA4T4A

If a city host these ships...can that city ever claim to be environmentally friendly??
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Smugglers roam the California wilderness to illegally ship succulents to Asian markets
    https://nationalpost.com/news/world/smugglers-roam-the-california-wilderness-to-illegally-ship-succulents-to-asian-markets

WTF.  Can Korea not grow these in a greenhouse? I guess it's easier to steal.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Not that this is surprising, but the Idiot in Chief still doesn't understand that weather and climate are not the same thing.

Trump dismisses Prince Charles's climate concerns, says weather changes 'both ways'

The president told Morgan that the meeting with Prince Charles was scheduled for 15 minutes but it ended up going on for nearly 90 minutes, adding that he pushed back on the suggestion that the U.S. must act on climate change. 

"I did say, ‘Well, the United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are based on all statistics.’ And it’s even getting better because I agree with that we want the best water, the cleanest water. It’s crystal clean, has to be crystal clean clear.”

Morgan asked Trump if he accepts the widely accepted scientific findings showing the U.S. must lead the way in addressing global warming.

“China, India, Russia, many other nations, they have not very good air, not very good water, and the sense of pollution and cleanliness,” the president continued. “If you go to certain cities — I’m not going name but I can — you can’t even breathe, and now that air is going up.”

The host doubled down, asking the president if he believes in climate change.

"I believe there’s a change in weather, and I think it changes both ways. Don’t forget, it used to be called 'global warming,' that wasn’t working, then it was called 'climate change.' Now it’s actually called 'extreme weather,' because with extreme weather you can’t miss," Trump said.

Very fine weather on both sides. 

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    From my Facebook feed. Insley is my governor and one of the 300 dem candidates for president. He's a one-trick pony only focused on environmental issues, so I don't really think he has a chance in hell, and therefore I am not backing him. But he is highlighting something the DNC is up to:

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jeffbr said:
    Not that this is surprising, but the Idiot in Chief still doesn't understand that weather and climate are not the same thing.

Trump dismisses Prince Charles's climate concerns, says weather changes 'both ways'

The president told Morgan that the meeting with Prince Charles was scheduled for 15 minutes but it ended up going on for nearly 90 minutes, adding that he pushed back on the suggestion that the U.S. must act on climate change. 

"I did say, ‘Well, the United States right now has among the cleanest climates there are based on all statistics.’ And it’s even getting better because I agree with that we want the best water, the cleanest water. It’s crystal clean, has to be crystal clean clear.”

Morgan asked Trump if he accepts the widely accepted scientific findings showing the U.S. must lead the way in addressing global warming.

“China, India, Russia, many other nations, they have not very good air, not very good water, and the sense of pollution and cleanliness,” the president continued. “If you go to certain cities — I’m not going name but I can — you can’t even breathe, and now that air is going up.”

"I believe there’s a change in weather, and I think it changes both ways. Don’t forget, it used to be called 'global warming,' that wasn’t working, then it was called 'climate change.' Now it’s actually called 'extreme weather,' because with extreme weather you can’t miss," Trump said.

how can you not be embarassed by this man? trump has no idea about anything.  he doesnt even know that weather and climate are 2 different things. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Give Peas A Chance…
    jeffbr said:

how can you not be embarassed by this man? trump has no idea about anything.  he doesnt even know that weather and climate are 2 different things. 
    Yep- clueless! 

Wait, you mean we can't just BUY our way out of every jam we get ourselves into?  :wink: 

brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Yep- clueless! 

Wait, you mean we can't just BUY our way out of every jam we get ourselves into?  :wink: 
    I do not think we can buy the earth health back.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJPOWER said:
    Never heard of these until now.  Sounds awful. 

"Since PFAS rarely break down in the environment, they can linger in water and air for thousands of years, landing them the nickname "forever chemicals." Consuming or inhaling them means they could stay in the body for life."

We are too clever for our own good.  I stopped using non-stick cookware years ago.  Kind of surprised I ever fell for that crap in the first place.  I picture in my head some cynical commercial saying, "Cooking with chemicals for an easier life!"  But they don't tell you, "And a shorter one too!"

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

"Since PFAS rarely break down in the environment, they can linger in water and air for thousands of years, landing them the nickname "forever chemicals." Consuming or inhaling them means they could stay in the body for life."

We are too clever for our own good.  I stopped using non-stick cookware years ago.  Kind of surprised I ever fell for that crap in the first place.  I picture in my head some cynical commercial saying, "Cooking with chemicals for an easier life!"  But they don't tell you, "And a shorter one too!"
    If you have Netflix, “The Devil We Know” about sums things up.  It’s awful...
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:

If you have Netflix, “The Devil We Know” about sums things up.  It’s awful...
    Looks good and I'd really want to see it and I have Netflix, but they must only stream it.  My internet connection is weak so we only do DVD's.   Bummer.

edited June 2019
    Nice idea but good lord, what a bleak looking house on a bleak landscape!

brianlux said:
    I like the house and ocean view...the landscape can be corrected with some creative gardening...like I said the world knows what needs to be done...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    I like the house and ocean view...the landscape can be corrected with some creative gardening...like I said the world knows what needs to be done...
    Yeah- use less plastic!

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah- use less plastic!
    WEll that's not happening anytime soon.  You are a great example of why most people just say fuck it...presented with a least a solution for the plastic that is currently on earth, you are not happy...good luck in your crusade... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah- use less plastic!
    WEll that's not happening anytime soon.  You are a great example of why most people just say fuck it...presented with a least a solution for the plastic that is currently on earth, you are not happy...good luck in your crusade... 
    I only have one crusade:

edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah- use less plastic!
    Besides which, I did say it was a good idea and YOU are always saying we need ot use less plastic.  Sounds like somebody got out of the wrong  side of the bed today, Mr.  Grumpy Meltdown!  :lol:

Go Canada!

Canada aims to ban single-use plastics by 2021

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the ban will likely include plastic bags, straws, cutlery, plates, and stir sticks.