Can we be done with having threads closed?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
That question is not aimed at Kat.  Good, interesting threads get closed because some who post here seem hell-bent on being rude to others.  I'm not trying to play thread cop, I'm just voicing the opinion that, to me and probably others here, this kind of behavior is a waste of time and wrecks havoc on threads that are interesting and often useful to follow for the information they disseminate. Seriously, folks, please stop it!

And yes, I expect this thread to be closed and will not complain if so. 
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Ignore feature on!  I think it will be smooth sailing from here on out. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ignore feature on!  I think it will be smooth sailing from here on out. 
    Yes, I think we can and should ignore rude commenters, but how can we have a smooth discussion when threads are closed?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Bri we have to do what you said, just ignore the rude posts and then threads will stop beimg closed.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited July 2019
    We do not need an ignore button...however it is useful.  If you have a forum that allows political discussion people will disagree.  My favourite forum I visit (not this one),  allows 0 political threads or political talk.  

and it always seems lately that threads are getting closed where one member continues on with discussions with a lot of nothing to contribute...and everyone here knows who it is.

People who goat people into bans...wtf is up with that.  People need to learn to just walk away from some discussions (me included).
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bri we have to do what you said, just ignore the rude posts and then threads will stop beimg closed.  

We do not need an ignore button...however it is useful.  If you have a forum that allows political discussion people will disagree.  My favourite forum I visit (not this one),  allows 0 political threads or political talk.  

and it always seems lately that threads are getting closed where one member continues on with discussions with a lot of nothing to contribute...and everyone here knows who it is.

People who goat people into bans...wtf is up with that.  People need to learn to just walk away from some discussions (me included).
    Good points, both but the thing is, if fictional users I_am_rude  and Screw-U-2 are frequently obnoxious and mcgruff10, Meltdown99, and brianlux ignore them but they keep being rude to each other, the thread will eventually get locked.  At least that's how it seems to work.

And as an aside, it must be frustrating at times to be a mod around here.  Kudos, mods!

brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Good points, both but the thing is, if fictional users I_am_rude  and Screw-U-2 are frequently obnoxious and mcgruff10, Meltdown99, and brianlux ignore them but they keep being rude to each other, the thread will eventually get locked.  At least that's how it seems to work.

And as an aside, it must be frustrating at times to be a mod around here.  Kudos, mods!
    It is definitely hard to take the high road at times especially when it is painfully obvious what the purpose of a post is. I do agree that the mods do a great job.  
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019

I don't agree that this is just one person's fault at all. The reactions are what the problem is, not initial comments. Some people here refuse to just let someone say what he wants without flipping out and getting mad and super insulting and personal, and then a ridiculous back and forth argument ensues. So yeah, I think the ignore feature would be helpful for all sides (it is always the usual suspects).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You are right.  It comes down to personal responsibility...maybe start banning the instigators...or at the very least issue a warning, which they do.  I have been guilty as the next person. All we can do is strive to better...some do.  Some don't.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't agree that this is just one person's fault at all. The reactions are what the problem is, not initial comments. Some people here refuse to just let someone say what he wants without flipping out and getting mad and super insulting and personal, and then a ridiculous back and forth argument ensues. Sonyeaj, I think the ignore feature would be helpful for all sides (it is always the usual suspects).
    The reactions occur because the initial comment is insulting and personal; I do agree that the ignore feature is the way to go.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I’d rather people just come out and tell me I’m the problem , I posted asking a question! I see a couple of folks always giving another poster a hard time here ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't agree that this is just one person's fault at all. The reactions are what the problem is, not initial comments. Some people here refuse to just let someone say what he wants without flipping out and getting mad and super insulting and personal, and then a ridiculous back and forth argument ensues. Sonyeaj, I think the ignore feature would be helpful for all sides (it is always the usual suspects).
    The reactions occur because the initial comment is insulting and personal; I do agree that the ignore feature is the way to go.
    The instigator should get banned as well...and I have no use for this childish behaviour of running to the mods if you are unhappy with a comment...like you said just both parties need to move...but that is not easy with a certain poster for some.  I thought the ignore would keep the thread from being closed...in the end, you right just move on without taking offence.  How many people here change their political stance because of an annoying arguments?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think this is a good thread.  Mods please keep this open, maybe we can all learn through the thread.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree.
    I think those who are clearly part of the problem trying to blame one person is just completely shrugging off responsibility, and it is simply factually inaccurate that the initial comments are all personal insults. Fyi, finding something insulting and being personally insulted is not the same thing at all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Just so no one gets the idea that I think I'm spotless, I admit I have reacted poorly here at times.  I'm trying to learn as we go and do better myself.  I've long thought it is worth it to keep this place going.  Always have hoped for that.

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Lock Brian up!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Y’all are snowflakes. No thread should be closed. 

Toughen up ladies and gents :)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    So - the AOC thread...wth got that closed? 

Seems pretty normal to me. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    So - the AOC thread...wth got that closed? 

Seems pretty normal to me. 
    You have 1 guess...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thanks, Dad.  I believe Mom has already laid out the guidelines ;)
    edited July 2019
    hedonist said:
    Thanks, Dad.  I believe Mom has already laid out the guidelines ;)
    Ohhhhh no, Hedo, I'm just one of the kids.  Maybe a little old, but just one o' the kids.  :smiley:

But seriously, folks,  I'm definitely not playing mod, or saying anything we don't already know, just hoping this place doesn't fall to ruin.  That means I have to be cool too, we all need to be cool.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    we can be done. but its the wrong question, though. the real quedtion is , WILL we be done....?

answer is a resounding no to that one.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    With you, what I presume, referring to me.

If I may, I will bring up a Case study of -- the "US Soccer team" thread.

Where a current tidbit relating to US Soccer was posted:

Prompting these kind of responses from you :

While I asked you to re-read the initial comment, pointing out I even bolded the first sentence for you to easier understand this seemed to fall completely on deaf ears with you just carrying on.

Which begs the question - are you really the one to rule on what is "insulting and personal" in posts? When you have problems with misreading posts - even refusing to re-read them for clarification when asked to? 

Now, over to:

Let us return to the same Case study. This was your contribution to it:

I would ask the question then - what is your big contribution in this post? You, from the look of it seems to not even have read the initial post (or if like Mcgruff - refused to re-read it after misreading), instead having your first instinct be to jump on a bandwagon (which certain members seem to do like clockwork).  Let me point out -- this coming after several posts and pages prompting to reread the initial post - which you, if you did even read it had the option to do. Instead you choose to post the above.

Also, regarding this:

mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I agree.

Is it not you veering into being "insulting and personal" with, and I quote, "seems more like a Swedish chap who has an inferiority complex" which - to further emphasize: doesn't seem to much of a contribution? 

A third members first response was to call me a "dumbfuck" - following that person ALSO having not read, or misread the post and jumping on said bandwagon -- also refusing to take a step back and re-read the post to understand when being prompted to.

Should be noted members (referencing here again said "bandwagon") chose to defend the use of "dumbfuck"/mocked the user objecting to being called a "dumbfuck" -  even when it was apparent that insult came as a reaction from unwarranted ignorance. One of them being - ta-da - @Meltdown99 -- which makes your comments in here, more so absurd.

Thank you for reading the telling Case study of "The US Soccer" thread. Maybe things would go smoother if people chill with preconceived notions seemingly even clouding their reading ability and rushing to bandwagoning. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mickeyrat said:
    we can be done. but its the wrong question, though. the real quedtion is , WILL we be done....?

This thread will be closed soon... it was a useful thread.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah I thought it was good.  Have a great weekend everyone.  When will pj play live again?!
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah I thought it was good.  Have a great weekend everyone.  When will pj play live again?!
    That’s the million-dollar question. Will PJ play again live? Hopefully soon with new material
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don’t care when they are history to me ! Recantours is where it’s at JWhite is god ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited July 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don’t care when they are history to me ! Recantours is where it’s at JWhite is god ...
    Neil Young is the evergreen "where it's at".

https://youtu.be/Hx51VbIOMbU

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    not for nothing, still havent been shown a link to where that was said. seemed reasonable to ask for it.

cant seem to find when or where it was said myself, soo.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited July 2019
    Its not easy being a conservative here.  I totally get it that most pj fans, the band itself, and staff are liberal minded and I'm in the minority here.
    I'm not looking to win arguments, I'm giving you my perspective, and looking for clarity, where we differ and agree.  But I get blasted personally almost every time unless it's in the lounge car.
    Like it or lump it the posts about Sarah Sanders was way over the top, Christian mockery and all.  Just say you don't like her and that's good enough.
    The Right & Left is sooo fundimentally different, its almost impossible to "coexist"
    The very premis on what people here "think I am" based on how I vote (Conservative/ Republican/Trump) (racist/sexist/phobias/Etc.) for example, I don't know how to put into words how wrong that is of me and most Trump/conservative voters.  I'm not the least bit racist,( most Republican voters are not sexist and racist Etc) or any of the phobias.
    No person,  politician or Institution is perfect.
    Conservatives vote for the person who we think will run the country closest to our ideals.  Sometimes the choice we have at the end of the primaries isn't our first choice but it's that or the other side so we choose that.
    You can have a terrible person run a country or business really well and thrive.
    You can have a really good person who runs a country or business into the ground.
    We vote for the person who we think will get  the job done closest to our ideals.
    We have no control over that person's personal life and past. We deal with our choice which is whoever makes it hrough the primaries.  It doesn't matter who we vote for they are going to have flaws we just pick the lesser of the two evils. The right and left are going to differ on that forever.
    But on this message board, I tried to be polite, (I'm not perfect either) but when I get insulted or blasted I fight back a little and then I cringe to look at the next post responding to my last post. It's a good thing you guys can't jump out of the phone and strangle me cuz some of you probably would.
    Benjs suggested to me maybe I should hang around people more in line with my thinking because people here hate racist and sexist. The person assumes that I am racist and sexist which is totally totally false assumption.
    Talking with my friends about this is like preaching to the choir, talking with you people here takes a little bit of effort, I don't mind the differences I hate the labels put on when you don't actually know where I'm coming from.  Based on where you are located your views can be different, somebody who lives in a city on the coast has different priorities than someone who lives in the Upper Midwest.  And vice versa someone who lives in New York has different issues than somebody living in Montana or Alaska.
    Try to stick to the topics and avoid smears maybe this will go better.
    We have a common appreciation in music and Pearl Jam this is ivery nteresting to say the least. The assumption that a person is racist and sexist based on their vote is asinine.  We are concerned with the direction of the country more than anything else.
     Although I different with many of you on many many issues I am not your enemy.

Post edited by RYME on