Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love this live version of Cortez the Killer.
    Neil's lead guitar is amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-XnPXL_HMA
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Will have to decide today If I can go to Hyde Park. Its on a weekend. Bob is a great bonus. But kind of expensive now after Eddie and two Neil shows in Germany. Hmm.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cornelia.hcornelia.h Vienna Posts: 47
    The Berlin show was awesome, I couldn't believe that he did Dangerbird. So good...
    Are you the girl I spilled a Jim Beam Cola all over?
    No:)
    Salzburg 2000, Vienna 2006, Munich 2007, Novarock 2007, Prag, Berlin 1 + 2, Stockholm 2012, EV London 1 + 2 2012, Vienna 2014, EV Berlin 2017, Berlin 2018, EV Amsterdam I + II 2019
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    I've never seen Neil perform. Hoping to see him one day.
    I hope you get the chance!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Yes...take the chance if you can!!! Location location location...seeds to sucess and fun...
    I just learned that Neil has a new live album out, Tuscaloosa.
    Listening to the previews on iTunes right now. I am keen to purchase this.
    Does anyone have it? What do you think?

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    I've never seen Neil perform. Hoping to see him one day.
    I hope you get the chance!
    Thank you. Me too. I can't remember any time that he's been to Australia.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259

It’s a really great document of the Stray Gators era and it’s well worth picking up. The run of Time Fades Away / Lookout Joe / New Mama / Alabama / Don’t Be Denied has been on repeat in my car a lot. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)

I just bought it. haven't listened to it yet (on vinyl).

I wish he would move away from the 70s with his releases. But it's still amazing.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Awesome, might have to purchase.
    MAN! Should have gone to Münich too :O  

Most underrated and one of the 3-4 best Neil albums

https://youtu.be/C2Jhfh-7mU8
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    What is everyone's favourite album?
    I really love On The Beach. 
    Yup
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

goldrush said:

It’s a really great document of the Stray Gators era and it’s well worth picking up. The run of Time Fades Away / Lookout Joe / New Mama / Alabama / Don’t Be Denied has been on repeat in my car a lot. 
    Ditto here, Thoughts, I like Tuscaloosa a lot. 

I always liked the album Time Fades Away, despite it being uneven and a bit quirky in that's it's both cantankerous and depressed, depending on the song-- but that's also part of why I like it.  As goldrush pointed out, Tuscaloosa is from that same Stray Gators period but this record (both are live) to me seems more even, and the performances  generally warmer.  And it has some better known songs.  I think it's a keeper, for sure!

And Time Fades Away finally got a re-release.  It was out of print for a long time and copies were fairly scarce and pricey.  A few times when I mentioned to friends that I had a copy they offered me a wad of cash and I had to say, "Sorry, not gonna let it go!"  I'm glad it's out there again.  (And the originals are easier to find now days.)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:

goldrush said:

I always liked the album Time Fades Away, despite it being uneven and a bit quirky in that's it's both cantankerous and depressed, depending on the song-- but that's also part of why I like it.  As goldrush pointed out, Tuscaloosa is from that same Stray Gators period but this record (both are live) to me seems more even, and the performances  generally warmer.  And it has some better known songs.  I think it's a keeper, for sure!

And Time Fades Away finally got a re-release.  It was out of print for a long time and copies were fairly scarce and pricey.  A few times when I mentioned to friends that I had a copy they offered me a wad of cash and I had to say, "Sorry, not gonna let it go!"  I'm glad it's out there again.  (And the originals are easier to find now days.)
    A couple of people have asked Neil if Tuscaloosa was the same album as Time Fades Away II that was mentioned a few years ago.

He replied with:
    “No, this is an album found during research of TFA2”

and

“Not the same as TFA. That may be a while coming though. Making TFA 2 is how we found Tuscaloosa”

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:

A couple of people have asked Neil if Tuscaloosa was the same album as Time Fades Away II that was mentioned a few years ago.

He replied with:
    “No, this is an album found during research of TFA2”

and

“Not the same as TFA. That may be a while coming though. Making TFA 2 is how we found Tuscaloosa”
    Wish Neils team could go to Paramount and find the Friday the 13th part 7: A New Beginning cut footage that is said to be forever lost/thrown out.. 

They sure seem to find all kinds of cool shit. 
  • binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    edited July 2019
    MAN! Should have gone to Münich too :O  

Most underrated and one of the 3-4 best Neil albums

https://youtu.be/C2Jhfh-7mU8
    Munich was absolutly great! Even I only had seating tickets, I had much fun listening to this great artist!

These are my videos: 

Powderfinger: 
    https://youtu.be/BoX_pBh6oBk

Cortez the killer: 
    https://youtu.be/EIFlIeHpUPQ

RITFW:
    Post edited by binaural2002 on
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<

Throw your hatred down

https://youtu.be/_uK1qPBiWSg
    2019 and Neil's still tearing it up.  Inspiring!

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    NEED Neil & Crazy Horse this fall (as rumored). I must go.

I hope Neil doesn't slow down his touring once he gets to be as old as the guys in PJ. 

B) 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Holy crap! Neil played ‘On The Beach’ in Antwerp last night!

He’s only ever played it 13 times, and 7 of those were on the CSNY 74 tour.
    Only 3 times since 1975 (Illinois 99, Hamburg 03, and last night)

Talk about a deep cut!

(Tim Rogers)
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:

I like Time Fades Away. Think I'll purchase it.
    goldrush said:

Talk about a deep cut!
    So fun seeing his setlists this tour. Would have loved to go to more shows. 

Mixes it up more than Pearl Jam.

And to hell with On the Beach - He played The Loner <3<3
    The Loner. Ahhh this song, so relatable. 
    goldrush said:

Talk about a deep cut!

I love The Loner too. I’ve been lucky enough to hear it live once, at my first Neil show in 93 when Booker T & The MGs were backing him.

Mr Soul / The Loner / Southern Man were the first 3 Neil songs I saw live. I’ll never forget that.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited July 2019
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

Talk about a deep cut!

I love The Loner too. I’ve been lucky enough to hear it live once, at my first Neil show in 93 when Booker T & The MGs were backing him.

Mr Soul / The Loner / Southern Man were the first 3 Neil songs I saw live. I’ll never forget that.
    Amazing trio. I heard Mr Soul for the first time last week. So that was great. One of my favorites.

My three first were:

Don't Cry No tears
    I've Been Waiting for you
    Love and only Love
    Should have seen him at least once more this tour. 

Promise of the Real has really opened everything up, it's loose - it's surprising - anything can be played.

If he goes out with Crazy Horse next time, or someone else I bet the setlists will be more rigid and more boring.
    Should have seen him at least once more this tour. 

Promise of the Real has really opened everything up, it's loose - it's surprising - anything can be played.

If he goes out with Crazy Horse next time, or someone else I bet the setlists will be more rigid and more boring.
    They’ve definitely brought something out of Neil. Remember that giant set list that he had on stage last year? Neil said that POTR knew all of his songs and that he could pick any one out of thin air to play. It must an incredible feeling to be able to do that.

(Tim Rogers)
    A video of On The Beach has surfaced.

Wow. Just... wow.

https://youtu.be/sQHvY29UHBI

(Tim Rogers)
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    goldrush said:
    A video of On The Beach has surfaced.

Wow. Just... wow.

https://youtu.be/sQHvY29UHBI
    I dont care what anyone says. Neil is the greatest of all time. That is absolutely incredible.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."