Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    goldrush said:
    Elliot was described in Jimmy McDonough’s “Shakey” biography like this:

"There have been other infamous artist/manager teams in rock and roll – Dylan and Albert Grossman. Ray Charles and Joe Adams, Bruce Springsteen and Jon Landau – and, of course, Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker. Elliot Roberts definitely resides in that hall of infamy – and is the only human capable of guiding Neil Young's career."  
      "Neil likes quirky people around him," said Elliot Roberts, Young's manager since the late sixties. "I think having quirky people around him lessens-in his mind-his own quirkiness. 'Yes, I am standing on my head, but look at these two other guys nude standing on their head.' " His mane of gray hair flying, Roberts was on his ninety-sixth phone call of the day, either chewing out some record-company underling or closing a million-dollar deal. Not far away, a bearded, sunglassed David Briggs- Young's producer-prowled the stage, palming a cigarette J.D.-style and looking like the devil himself. 
       Briggs and Roberts were the twin engines that powered the Neil Young hot rod. Feared, at times hated, both men possessed killer instincts and had been with Neil almost from the beginning. Roberts was a genius at pushing Young's career, Briggs at pushing his art. It's an understatement to say the two didn't always see eye to eye. Roberts and Briggs were two of the quirkiest characters around- difficult, complicated men-but then so was just about everybody and everything in Young's world. 
      "Let's look at Neil's whole trip-the ranch, the people he plays with," said computer wizard Bryan Bell, who worked extensively with Young in the late eighties. " 'Easy' isn't in the vocabulary."
    I think Shakey is an excellent biography.  In one of his books, Neil talks about what a huge mistake it was to have someone else co-write his biography.  I have to assume he was referring to Shakey.  I think he said this in Waging Heavy Peace, also a fine book.

Roberts also appears in the Tom Petty film, "Runnin' Down a Dream".  I thought he was great in that rockumentary.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:

Roberts also appears in the Tom Petty film, "Runnin' Down a Dream".  I thought he was great in that rockumentary.
    There’s a great quote that has been posted quite a few times today:

"Not all your albums can be hits.  But all your albums can be good."–Elliot Roberts to Tom Petty
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

There’s a great quote that has been posted quite a few times today:

"Not all your albums can be hits.  But all your albums can be good."–Elliot Roberts to Tom Petty
    I like it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

(Tim Rogers)
    Tribute post from Kelly Curtis 

I saw that Ed dedicated Man of the Hour to Elliot at his show in Madrid last night too 

(Tim Rogers)
    Some interesting insight from John Hanlon on the recording sessions for the new Crazy Horse record...

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Record it on a tape recorder in a bathroom stall for I care. Just make it as good as Broken Arrow, or the Crazy Horse parts, of Are you Passionate.

Lett it feel less demo-rough than Psychedelic Pill. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    What is everyone's favourite album?
    I really love On The Beach. 
    What next?  Going to ask which family member I love the most?  :lol: 

Oh, that's tough!  If I had to go with one and only one as a favorite, a lot would depend on when I answered.  But that's copping out on the question! 

OK, I'll go with Rust Never Sleeps.  The first time I heard Rust I was at a small intimate party outdoors in the countryside  in Windsor CA (before it was ruined and turned into a wealthy Sonoma County suburb) on a perfect late spring evening.  It was magic.  Such a great album and I really love the two differing sides that somehow make total sense.  And the album builds and is sequenced perfectly.  One of the greatest.
    I love Rust Never Sleeps too.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Bought two Neil albums (19 USD and 20 USD). 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    goldrush said:

Great article.  I CAN'T WAIT for the Crazy Horse release.  Reading all this makes me that much more anxious to hear it!

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Rust Never Sleeps - love that album. Just love it to pieces. It's right there next to Tom Petty's - Echo and Floyd's - The Wall for my favorite non-PJ records. Never tire of any of those gems.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    TOMORROW!
    That was a CRAZY good setlist we got tonight. 

And he played Powderfinger twice in the set. Haha. 

That looks like an awesome set list! I’m very jealous!

(Tim Rogers)
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    goldrush said:

That looks like an awesome set list! I’m very jealous!

Nice show. Nothing wrong with a little double dose of Powderfinger!

Nice!  I love "Powderfinger".   Rust is just an amazing record.  Easily in my top 5 favorites of any and everything.

brianlux said:

Nice!  I love "Powderfinger".   Rust is just an amazing record.  Easily in my top 5 favorites of any and everything.
    I can’t believe Rust turned 40 years old recently! It’s the same age as my brother, but it’s probably aged a little better than he has :smiley:

(Tim Rogers)
    Neil just played Over And Over for only the fifth time ever! He also played Danger Bird, and soundchecked Change Your Mind

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Neil just played Over And Over for only the fifth time ever! He also played Danger Bird, and soundchecked Change Your Mind

Fantastic!  I LOVE the song "Over and  Over"!  And "Danger Bird" and "Change Your Mind" too (but that last one- that's gotta be with Poncho!)

goldrush said:

I was there too :))
    Dresden:

Berlin:

Man. I need another Neil concert. Im guessing the Dublin tickets are sold out by now? Haha

320 dollars to fly to London... was believing a trip could be found for 150 dollars. But man... to see Neil and Bob together..... aaah....
  • cornelia.hcornelia.h Vienna Posts: 47
    The Berlin show was awesome, I couldn't believe that he did Dangerbird. So good...
    Salzburg 2000, Vienna 2006, Munich 2007, Novarock 2007, Prag, Berlin 1 + 2, Stockholm 2012, EV London 1 + 2 2012, Vienna 2014, EV Berlin 2017, Berlin 2018, EV Amsterdam I + II 2019
    The Berlin show was awesome, I couldn't believe that he did Dangerbird. So good...
    Are you the girl I spilled a Jim Beam Cola all over?
    What does a Hyde park ticket go for on the second hand market? Any brit knows?
    Hyde Park set times, for anyone who’s going...

Too much Dylan, not enough Cat Power!

(Tim Rogers)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've never seen Neil perform. Hoping to see him one day.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Are you the girl I spilled a Jim Beam Cola all over?
    Agnes?>LOL