Chicago Cubs baseball!!!

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Yeah, it's becoming more and more difficult to disagree with you on this.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788

And then depression set in.

This team is an absolute joke. An absolute joke.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    don’t forget the Zen Master at the helm!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Well guys, it’s been a fun run. These idiots are done. Going back to just getting our hopes up only to let us down every. single. time.
    edited July 2019
    What the hell is a Robel Garcia? Why wasn’t Heyward out there in the 9th? Nice day for Victor! Too bad he was the only one living up to his name.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,788

Mr Bryant?

Rookie of the year

MVP

And if they traded him today for some pitching prospects? I would say it was a good move. Mr.Bryant is not going to be the super-duper star we all thought he would be. Maybe I'm wrong.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Wobbie said:
    don’t forget the Zen Master at the helm!
    I would not be surprised to see Joe Girardi back in a Cubs uniform next season.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

Mr Bryant?

Rookie of the year

MVP

And if they traded him today for some pitching prospects? I would say it was a good move. Mr.Bryant is not going to be the super-duper star we all thought he would be. Maybe I'm wrong.

We should’ve sold Tubby & Wifebeater after the World Series. They both had high value then. It pisses me off to see all the prospects we traded away performing well everywhere else, the guys we kept not even sniffing the hype they got, and the guys we got in trade lacking any regular production. 
    Every time to hear “There’s too much talent on this team, it’ll come together” I want to break something. It’s been regression every year. We will finish last in 2020, if not this season. 
    Our current record by every other division would put us in:
    NLE: 4th, 6.0 gb
    NLW: 2nd, 13.5 gb
    ALE: 4th, 11.5 gb
    ALC: 3rd, 10.0 gb (+1.5 on CHW)
    ALW: 4th, 10.gb 

Avg 3.5th place and 10.2 gb in any other division in MLB. This team is just not that good.
    Darvish threw 72 pitches in 6 innings and was losing 4-3. Of course we make Chris Archer look like a decent pitcher. 
    @HesCalledDyer - there's too much talent on this team...it'll come together. 
    edited July 2019
    Btw I was at the game 2 nights ago when the Pirates came back in the 9th. Talk about deflating. You see this on tv over and over and it’s bad enough. To actually witness it in person. It was like watching classic shitty Cubs baseball again.
    That was not Kimbrel’s fault btw. He threw 2 routine ground balls, 2 fly balls, and a walk. Thanks to all the bonehead defense he only got one out from that.
    Joe Maddon didn't make any bone headed coaching moves today.

They didn't fail to drive in a run with a RISP and less than 2 outside today. 

They didn't blow a save opportunity today.
    Nice outing from Lester yesterday. 
    Really? Nova again looking like a Cy Young winner against the Cubs? The guy with 3W, 62K and a 5.92ERA doesn't allow a run in 2 outings against the Cubs. His ERA was an 8 prior to his first matchup against this team. Oh brother!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Stick a fork in ‘em. 
    Really? Nova again looking like a Cy Young winner against the Cubs? The guy with 3W, 62K and a 5.92ERA doesn't allow a run in 2 outings against the Cubs. His ERA was an 8 prior to his first matchup against this team. Oh brother!
    There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and if the opposing pitcher has an ERA over 6 the Cubs will make him look like the lovechild of Sandy Koufax & Nolan Ryan.
    edited July 2019
    Under .500 since May 1.  

Theo once again with the "I trust this team" bullshit.  Just another way of saying "the talent is there, it's just waiting to come together."  The talent. ain't. fucking. there.  If it was, it would've come together already.  It's been three years, this ain't it, chief.  When they were young, they were dumb and hungry.  Now they've gotten complacent.  You know what pisses me off more than anything?  I've been bitching about patience at the plate since 2014.  5 fucking years and that has not improved.  Is it even on the fucking agenda with these players and coaches??  

Here's a scouting report on Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, & Kyle Schwarber: Easiest way to get them out - don't throw anything even remotely fucking close to the strike zone. They'll swing away and down they'll go. No sabermetrics, no analytics needed.  Just do that. Those dumb fucks can't lay off. Ever.  50 Cent could be out there bouncing shit to the on deck circle and these motherfuckers would swing.

Joe Genius Maddon and his "let's always go with the worst possible fucking reliever in the most volatile sitautions" philosophy which ALWAYS blows up in his god damn face yet still puts Edwards, Montgomery, & Brach every fucking chance he gets so he can "prove how smart he is."  Brandon Kintzler had thrown ONE pitch since June 26 until getting work today.  The only fucking reliever (perhaps the only pitcher, period) we've had with any consistency all season, and he never gets used.

When do the Blackhawks play?
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    ^ And I’ll add that I listened to a game on the radio this weekend and Ron Coomer was saying how Maddon recently said something like “I know our best baseball is yet to come and I’m excited for that to happen.”  Really, Joe? Enough with the rainbows and sunshine BS. Joe must be smoking the good stuff.  I really think we need more of a hard ass manager at this point. 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ And I’ll add that I listened to a game on the radio this weekend and Ron Coomer was saying how Maddon recently said something like “I know our best baseball is yet to come and I’m excited for that to happen.”  Really, Joe? Enough with the rainbows and sunshine BS. Joe must be smoking the good stuff.  I really think we need more of a hard ass manager at this point. 
    I think this is becoming eerily reminiscent of the Lovie Smith led Bears. Everything is not awful, but the laissez faire mentality is a bit too exaggerated in my opinion. Like most, I loved Maddon when he came to Chicago. I lived him even more around 11:15 p.m. CST on 11-2-16. He will forever hold a special place in my heart, and the heart of most Cubs fans. But, as a whole, there has been a gross inability for some of the talent to mature over the last couple seasons. For so many of the team members to "play through the whistle." Of course it cannot all go on Joe (i.e. swing and miss on Darvish, Schwarber etc...). But as mentioned above, his use of the bullpen is downright horrendous. I'll never forget game 7 as my brother and I were in left field and Maddon inexplicably pulled Hendricks after issuing a walk (though ball 4 was definitely strike 3). Indians fans were thrilled Hendricks was pulled because he had been pitching so well. All of us Cubs fans were shocked and perturbed. That move and his use of Chapman the game prior were the most obvious examples of Joe's inability to utilize the bullpen effectively. 

I also really get disgusted when a player admires his home run....that hits the wall and bounces to the outfielder for a long single. Especially when you're a team that doesn't steal bases and does not hit for average. At least jog enough to guarantee yourself a double. Anything less is childish, pompous and selfish. If you hit a 450 shot, you know it. There is no guesswork there. Go ahead and look, if you must. But those are quite rare compared to the 400 dingers we generally see. Maybe I'm just a "get off my lawn" kind of guy, but for a team that is struggling so badly, this is the type of stuff that is so easy to control. 

bbiggs said:
    I think this is becoming eerily reminiscent of the Lovie Smith led Bears. Everything is not awful, but the laissez faire mentality is a bit too exaggerated in my opinion. Like most, I loved Maddon when he came to Chicago. I lived him even more around 11:15 p.m. CST on 11-2-16. He will forever hold a special place in my heart, and the heart of most Cubs fans. But, as a whole, there has been a gross inability for some of the talent to mature over the last couple seasons. For so many of the team members to "play through the whistle." Of course it cannot all go on Joe (i.e. swing and miss on Darvish, Schwarber etc...). But as mentioned above, his use of the bullpen is downright horrendous. I'll never forget game 7 as my brother and I were in left field and Maddon inexplicably pulled Hendricks after issuing a walk (though ball 4 was definitely strike 3). Indians fans were thrilled Hendricks was pulled because he had been pitching so well. All of us Cubs fans were shocked and perturbed. That move and his use of Chapman the game prior were the most obvious examples of Joe's inability to utilize the bullpen effectively. 

I also really get disgusted when a player admires his home run....that hits the wall and bounces to the outfielder for a long single. Especially when you're a team that doesn't steal bases and does not hit for average. At least jog enough to guarantee yourself a double. Anything less is childish, pompous and selfish. If you hit a 450 shot, you know it. There is no guesswork there. Go ahead and look, if you must. But those are quite rare compared to the 400 dingers we generally see. Maybe I'm just a "get off my lawn" kind of guy, but for a team that is struggling so badly, this is the type of stuff that is so easy to control. 

Ab-so-fucking-lute-ly on all points!!

And look, I get it.  It's not the end of the world.  We had to endure 5 absolutely horrid years of tanking prior to the recent success.  And today's times, even with all the "talent" remaining dormant, are nowhere near as bad as the 80's and 90's Cubs teams I grew up with where it was 70-some wins and anywhere from 4th-7th place (depending on divisional alignment) every. single. year.  But the thing is, with this current group, we were promised to "contend for years to come" and all it's done is regress into mediocrity.  2017 wasn't too bad, they got off to a rough start but still played closer to 2015/16 ball.  Last year was just sad.  How does a damn near division champ complete as many games scoring 0 or 1 run as the absolute by-far worst team in baseball?  And I know the weather & makeup schedule wasn't friendly to us last year, but Champions and contenders overcome that.  Baez went AWOL in September when the team needed him the most, and all he did was present the MVP to Christian Yelich in a silver fucking platter.  What was it, a 5.5 game lead they blew? With what, like 21 games left?  This year, the Cubs are currently .500 (24-24) against under .500 teams.  They are under 9 games under .500 on the road.  They're under .500 in 1-run games.  Anyone that thinks this team is a serious contender this year is a blithering fucking idiot, in complete denial, or both.

Cubs: prove me wrong.  Your move.
    2nd half.  72 games.  What's the target for wins here?  43-29? If we can pull that off, I think 90 wins the division.  We had, idk, a lot of blown saves in the first half. We have a closer now. Darvish is pitching much better, would really like to see him pull off a great stretch.  I don't think 43 is unreasonable to wish for, but can they execute it?  Last year was the only year under Maddon (and the first since Sveum) where the Cubs were better in the 1st half than the 2nd.  2 years ago we were under .500 at the break and won the division.  These guys can do it, will they?
    2nd half.  72 games.  What's the target for wins here?  43-29? If we can pull that off, I think 90 wins the division.  We had, idk, a lot of blown saves in the first half. We have a closer now. Darvish is pitching much better, would really like to see him pull off a great stretch.  I don't think 43 is unreasonable to wish for, but can they execute it?  Last year was the only year under Maddon (and the first since Sveum) where the Cubs were better in the 1st half than the 2nd.  2 years ago we were under .500 at the break and won the division.  These guys can do it, will they?
    They’re slightly better than a .500 team. At best, sneak into the playoffs based on luck of being on a weak division. Then get their clocks cleaned in the first round of playoffs. That’s my prediction. 
    Need to find a decent 2B and find somewhere for Russell to go.  Most fans never wanted him back in the first place. White elephant aside, he went from being Cal Ripken Jr in 2016 to being Rey Sanchez ever since.  And hell, even Sanchez could average ~.275 consistently.
    Where in the world is Zobrist, btw?  No word on that situation whatsoever. 
    This sure sounds like a roundabout way of saying: this team has the talent on thos team for it to not all come back together. :rofl:
    Strop tried to blow another one with a 3 run HR in the 8th. My god he sucks. 
    This sure sounds like a roundabout way of saying: this team has the talent on thos team for it to not all come back together. :rofl:
    Zzzzzzzactly!
    bbiggs said:
    Strop tried to blow another one with a 3 run HR in the 8th. My god he sucks. 
    Wonder what his deal is this year?  I mean, before this season, he'd limit his blowups to about 1 per 5-6 appearances, with 1 more nail biter mixed in.  This year it's every time he takes the mound.
    Need to get this win today so we can be .500 after the break on Thursday.
    ^that was kind of funny

Went to the game today. So far, after the break, they are exceeding their potential as a whole. Good start to the 2nd half.