The Pizza Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Awesome.
    I like how he just keeps going.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I found my new favorite local tonight. Holy cow is this good pizza. I’m stuffed. 

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:
    I found my new favorite local tonight. Holy cow is this good pizza. I’m stuffed. 

Hello yeah!  Looks delish. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    Thin crust buffalo chicken pizza paired with goose island ipa (limited beer menu). 
    I love buffalo chicken pizza every now and then.  I just can’t eat too much of it. I do like to dunk it in blue cheese though. Wow 
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Btw, if anyone here has an air fryer, they are absolutely killer for reheating pizza!
    Do not own one but I can imagine they would be good for that.
    I eat it cold, or if from the freezer is goes into a hot oven.
    Will not microwave pizza (or almost anything else) - I find microwave pizza to be nasty.
    If there is one thing any pizza enthusiast should agree on, it's to stay the fuck away from the microwave!  We can disagree on crusts, folding, toppings, regions, etc.  But the one thing that unites us all is that pizza doesn't get nuked!
    100% agree, this is an absolute No No!!!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Awesome.
    I like how he just keeps going.
    he appeared on Jimmy Kimmel earlier this week

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Round two with the pizza oven 
    Wrong dough but a few turned out ok.  

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    edited June 2019

that’s some sesame street looking pizza, right there. I’m sure it tasted fine, tho.

also....that’s the problem with making pizza outdoors.....leaves and stuff can blow on to it.
    Post edited by Wobbie on
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Wobbie said:

that’s some sesame street looking pizza, right there. I’m sure it tasted fine, tho.

also....that’s the problem with making pizza outdoors.....leaves and stuff can blow on to it.
    Do they have pizza in Utah, Wob?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244

What do you mean "wrong dough"?  I think they look good.
    Dough stretching is tricky, but it's awesome once you get the hang of it.  
    mca47 said:

I went with a different dough recipe for this round, last time I did they Neapolitan and this time New York.  When I pushed it out, it looked great.  When I cooked the first one, I burnt the edges, but it looked like it was going to taste great.
    The dough was much too thick and did not cook all of the way through.
    Stretched those out more and they worked better....it was just such a failure vs. the way the crust tasted awesome the first go around.
    Everyone else still thought they tasted pretty good...I have high standards and thought they bombed, overall.
    Going to take a few more spins around the block to find my mojo and which crust I want to stick with.

Already have my sauce down - and the cheese/toppings are ok.  Crust and technique with the pizza oven need some more experimenting!
    mca47 said:

I went with a different dough recipe for this round, last time I did they Neapolitan and this time New York.  When I pushed it out, it looked great.  When I cooked the first one, I burnt the edges, but it looked like it was going to taste great.
    Stretched those out more and they worked better....it was just such a failure vs. the way the crust tasted awesome the first go around.
    Everyone else still thought they tasted pretty good...I have high standards and thought they bombed, overall.
    Going to take a few more spins around the block to find my mojo and which crust I want to stick with.

Already have my sauce down - and the cheese/toppings are ok.  Crust and technique with the pizza oven need some more experimenting!
    New York can be tricky to pull off in the Ooni because of how hot it gets.  You can do it, but you want the oven to be in the 600 degree range.
    Maintaining this temp is hard, but it can be done.  I've been successful by using just coals (no wood).  I use a chimney starter and when the coals are ready, I dump them in.  It will go up to 800ish, but I let them hang out and it will come down.  As soon as I see it around 600-650, I start stretching my dough.  Unlike the Neapolitan which cooks at 900+ for 60 seconds total, the NY will take 3-5 minutes.  I keep the door on when I do it this way too. 
    I also aim for about a 280-300g dough for NY.  

You can use the same technique to make breads (focaccia, chibatta, etc.).  Naan works well too but I do it closer to 900.
    Unlike an inside oven where you wait until it reaches temp, you do it in reverse.  Get it hot and wait until it cools to the right temp.  Once you hit your desired temp, it'll stay hot within a 100 degree window for as long as it takes to make a couple of pizzas.  Works great.  
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:

New York can be tricky to pull off in the Ooni because of how hot it gets.  You can do it, but you want the oven to be in the 600 degree range.
    Maintaining this temp is hard, but it can be done.  I've been successful by using just coals (no wood).  I use a chimney starter and when the coals are ready, I dump them in.  It will go up to 800ish, but I let them hang out and it will come down.  As soon as I see it around 600-650, I start stretching my dough.  Unlike the Neapolitan which cooks at 900+ for 60 seconds total, the NY will take 3-5 minutes.  I keep the door on when I do it this way too. 
    I also aim for about a 280-300g dough for NY.  

You can use the same technique to make breads (focaccia, chibatta, etc.).  Naan works well too but I do it closer to 900.
    Unlike an inside oven where you wait until it reaches temp, you do it in reverse.  Get it hot and wait until it cools to the right temp.  Once you hit your desired temp, it'll stay hot within a 100 degree window for as long as it takes to make a couple of pizzas.  Works great.  
    Good info, thanks!

Yeah, the pizzas for sure needed more time....but the temp was too hot to allow.  Put the larger ones in the oven, inside, for a bit on 400 and cooked some more.  Keeping the door on makes sense, as well.
    As with most special items I think it just needs to see some repetition.  I cook quite frequently at my oven, and have for years and years.  Doing something 2 times it is silly to expect the types of results I do.
    (But I still will!  :lol: )
    Yeah, I'm constantly hard on myself when something doesn't turn out perfect.  But the fun thing about this is that even the fails usually taste good.  I've had some disasters that weren't so tasty though.  On my 3rd or 4th cook, I had a flaming log roll down and land directly on a pizza while it was cooking.  An entire 7 inch, flaming log...plopped down right in the middle of my pizza!  hahahaha!  I wish I took a picture, but at the time I thought I could save the pizza.  FAIL!  LOL  
    Ha - my wife would have laughed at that.  Can see how it could happen, though!
    Wobbie said:

Do they have pizza in Utah, Wob?

yes...at the best places, the dough is blessed by the prophet.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

They look like the drawings of Mom & Dad that kindergarteners bring home.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:

Which is mom, and which is dad?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Suck it, Massholes!
    :lol:
    I would like to say kids made them ...but not the case.  The pizza oven is a learning experience and the move from peel to stone warped the first one from the correct shape.  The second one was made as an oval, so that was intentional....still some shoddy peel work.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    "Sesame Street looking pizza"  :rofl: Hilarious!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Suck it, Massholes!
    I would like to say kids made them ...but not the case.  The pizza oven is a learning experience and the move from peel to stone warped the first one from the correct shape.  The second one was made as an oval, so that was intentional....still some shoddy peel work.
    Wood peel with some semolina sprinkled on and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Metal peel for turning and retrieving.

No more peel issues.
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

the one on the left might inspire a PJ poster.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    mca47 said:
    Suck it, Massholes!

No more peel issues.
    Yeah, I have those and think more semolina sprinkled might be the call. 
    The small metal peel for turning...only used that once (most recently) and that was something I was getting better with.

Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Nutsack Pizza?
    12 eyed Ames?
    mca47 said:
    Suck it, Massholes!

No more peel issues.
    Yeah, I have those and think more semolina sprinkled might be the call. 
    The small metal peel for turning...only used that once (most recently) and that was something I was getting better with.

Wobbie said:
    dankind said:
    Poncier said:

Nutsack Pizza?
    12 eyed Ames?
    you got it, amigo.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22

Definitely some interesting shaped pizza but man it looks good.  You have a few of your vodka drinks in order to make that pizza look more easy on the eyes? lol
    mcgruff10 said:

Definitely some interesting shaped pizza but man it looks good.  You have a few of your vodka drinks in order to make that pizza look more easy on the eyes? lol
    Not yet, they went down with a few beers.  (The mountains were cold)

The fold!
    The fold!
    You know it.  
  • Seriously different looking pizza...what would that very  white sliced cheese? be called?