Options

Pet Peeves

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Most of the time if there is room in front of me on an escalator, sidewalk or road I intend to move as quickly as possible.  I hate walking as it bores the hell out of me unless it is hiking or sightseeing.  Every once in a while though I will stand on an escalator and just take all in the experience of it.  
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with standing on a escalator - the reason doesn't really matter (I just can't believe people are patient enough to wait that long to go down one, lol) ... just as long as you're standing on the right side of it, all good!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    hedonist said:

They're all over the place -- by which I mean, in lots of cities, and just left in front yards, on sidewalks, in bushes, on bridges. I had no idea so many people never learned to pick up after themselves.
    No accountability.  Integrity is reflected in how you act when (you think?) no one is watching.  This takes the cake, in a way, because many users will make defiant eye-contact with us what-the-fuck?-ers when dumping.

^^^^ Funny, I think I told my kids that a few thousand times ("It's how you act when nobody is watching that matters."). They make me crazy sometimes, but they're both good people.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    edited June 2019
    People you can audibly hear gulp when they're drinking a beverage, specifically in this situation at work with coffee. Some people are grossed out by the sound of vomit, I am grossed out about by the fact that you're not dying of thirst - you're sitting at your desk and you're gulping a scolding hot liquid. Regardless, though, gulping when you haven't just run 8 miles grosses me out for whatever reason.

ALSO based on a weirdo at work - slurping....anything. Dude slurps fruit salad....like grapes and shit.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    people who use fire pits when its 80 degrees or warmer. wtf? that is not the purpose of those things morons. 
  • Options
    People you can audibly hear gulp when they're drinking a beverage, specifically in this situation at work with coffee. Some people are grossed out by the sound of vomit, I am grossed out about by the fact that you're not dying of thirst - you're sitting at your desk and you're gulping a scolding hot liquid. Regardless, though, gulping when you haven't just run 8 miles grosses me out for whatever reason.

ALSO based on a weirdo at work - slurping....anything. Dude slurps fruit salad....like grapes and shit.
    Oh, also adding this same psychopath chews out loud as well. It's Friday, it's super quiet. Except for the guy who is the equivalent of a commenter in the bowels of some super crazy website, like Drudge or some shit, just chomping away.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,977
    pjhawks said:
    people who use fire pits when its 80 degrees or warmer. wtf? that is not the purpose of those things morons. 
    It's not?

I agree, sometimes it's just too damn hot for a fire no matter how much I enjoy them.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    People walking slowly in front of me at the shopping centre.
    People oblivious to their surrounds when walking through shopping centre carparks making it hard for me to drive around.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,847
    edited June 2019
    Biggest one I ever saw was on my aunt's great dane. He had a huge pet peeve.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    Idling.  Especially seeing big diesel pickups and SUVs idling for no good reason.

The worst example is one I saw yesterday.   Lady pulls up in from of bank, gets out of this monstrously big pickup truck, pushes button to retract side mirrors because the vehicle is so big it can barely fit into a parking space, pushes key pad to lock vehicle, then pushes key pad to auto-start truck so the A/C can run while she does her banking.  And all the while, 20 feet away are two parking spots in full shade flanked by two other empty spots.  But damn, we wouldn't want her to have to have to walk 20 feet would we (although she seemed to be walking with no problem whatsoever)?  Two words came to mind, "entitled" and "pig".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    Idling.  Especially seeing big diesel pickups and SUVs idling for no good reason.

The worst example is one I saw yesterday.   Lady pulls up in from of bank, gets out of this monstrously big pickup truck, pushes button to retract side mirrors because the vehicle is so big it can barely fit into a parking space, pushes key pad to lock vehicle, then pushes key pad to auto-start truck so the A/C can run while she does her banking.  And all the while, 20 feet away are two parking spots in full shade flanked by two other empty spots.  But damn, we wouldn't want her to have to have to walk 20 feet would we (although she seemed to be walking with no problem whatsoever)?  Two words came to mind, "entitled" and "pig".
    Does the community have anti-idling by-laws?  If not, talk to the mayor or your councilman.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

Entitled pig?  Wow.  Based on her driving an unacceptably large vehicle?  Maybe stupid parking, but I find the assessment pretty harsh.

By the way, some handicaps aren't visible for all to see.

As to idling itself, I don't think it's a rampant activity.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:

Entitled pig?  Wow.  Based on her driving an unacceptably large vehicle?  Maybe stupid parking, but I find the assessment pretty harsh.

By the way, some handicaps aren't visible for all to see.

As to idling itself, I don't think it's a rampant activity.
    Meh, I always wonder why I see a HC tag on the mirror of a big 'ol pickup truck?

• Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    brianlux said:

This time of year I see a lot of cars or trucks idling with the AC on because there are pets in the vehicle. Maybe this was the case? Owners are reluctant to just crack the windows open, since passersby sometimes want to reach in and pet the animal (and sometimes get bit in the process). 
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    SD48277 said:
    brianlux said:

This time of year I see a lot of cars or trucks idling with the AC on because there are pets in the vehicle. Maybe this was the case? Owners are reluctant to just crack the windows open, since passersby sometimes want to reach in and pet the animal (and sometimes get bit in the process). 
    Also the case that since we're a completely judgmental society that if you were to run into a store to do a quick errand there is no doubt in my mind that someone would take it upon them self to call humane services or some shit.

But, yeah, idling is totally rampant and is terrible. Whom ever said it doesn't happen that much I'm going to assume doesn't live in a city, or maybe they at least have parking/police services that heavily enforce cars moving along.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
  • Options
    SD48277 said:
    brianlux said:

Also the case that since we're a completely judgmental society that if you were to run into a store to do a quick errand there is no doubt in my mind that someone would take it upon them self to call humane services or some shit.

But, yeah, idling is totally rampant and is terrible. Whom ever said it doesn't happen that much I'm going to assume doesn't live in a city, or maybe they at least have parking/police services that heavily enforce cars moving along.
    *and perhaps also judgmental enough to deem someone an entitled pig based on a few stereotypical aspects?  Again, strikes me as over the top but if that's how some see it, so be it.

I was the one who mentioned that idling is not so worrisome here.  I live in a pretty large city, and most cars I see idling have drivers in them, maybe waiting for someone, are pulled over to take a call, etc.

Now those street racers we have here, THOSE are the bloody entitled pigs!  Hrrmph.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    The use of the suffix "-gate" to refer to a controversy. The Watergate scandal wasn't a scandal about water. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The use of the suffix "-gate" to refer to a controversy. The Watergate scandal wasn't a scandal about water. 
    Like the pirate with a ship's wheel attached to his ballsack, this drives me nuts!
  • Options
    Adding "pallooza" to any event.

Doggypallooza, Mitchapallooza, Flocakapallooza... Etc, etc.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    Have you ever camped??? Fire is also used for cooking...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

Mitchapallooza was awesome! 
    :lol: 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Mitchapallooza was awesome! 
    :lol: 
    BLUE!  You're my boy!!!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    pjhawks said:
    fuck no. why would i sleep outside?   anyway i was referring to use of fire pits in your back yard. in my neighborhood it is illegal to burn leaves...but you can have a raging fire pit in your backyard. it makes zero sense.  and using a fire pit outside in 80+ degree temperatures is idiotic.  they are great in spring and fall.  summer fire pit = idiotic.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    fuck no. why would i sleep outside?   anyway i was referring to use of fire pits in your back yard. in my neighborhood it is illegal to burn leaves...but you can have a raging fire pit in your backyard. it makes zero sense.  and using a fire pit outside in 80+ degree temperatures is idiotic.  they are great in spring and fall.  summer fire pit = idiotic.
    When we moved into our house one of the first things I did was toss the thing the fire was meant to blaze in.  Neighbors on 3 sides and lots of trees.  An OK sized yard but not big enough, imo, to be sending sparks showering about with regularity, for no good reason.

I did grow up in VT and firepits were central to parties as kids/teens.  Even in the summer....but we would be in the middle of a field.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Smoke helps keep bugs away, which is great in the summer.
  • Options
    :angry:

• Options
    Puddles and soggy bathroom mats from people who dont at least pat dry while standing in the shower or tub....this leaving no slippery trail and soaked floor...you know who you are... ;)
  • Options
    Puddles and soggy bathroom mats from people who dont at least pat dry while standing in the shower or tub....this leaving no slippery trail and soaked floor...you know who you are... ;)
    What? Get dry in the shower then get out.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited September 2019
    Oh geez, I'm a grump and I have too many pet peeves.
    Shit, I see them everywhere, in this thread lol
    "Fuck no, why would I sleep outside?" touches on a big one...
    Our society is so pampered and spoiled and weak, everyone is afraid of being uncomfortable or dirty.  Big pet peeve.

The biggest is probably libertarianism...fucking morons one and all!

*Edit
    Not saying people who say that are pampered, spoiled, weak, and lazy people, just that it's a spoiled, weak, pampered, and lazy attitude which annoys the shit out of me.
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Lots of reason not to sleep outside.  Go to norther ontario and sleep in the woods with the black flies, mosquitos and ticks...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    vogonpoetbythelakevogonpoetbythelake Posts: 2,146
    edited September 2019
    Not saying get dry...just at least give it a shake and light mop up of excèssive water...growing up we had a squeegee in the shower stall that we had to use before stepping out...to prevent mold and mildew...I thought that was excessive...best NFB OF CANADA short film ever...BLACK FLY...watch that then you will understand what camping is in Ontario! Still fun though!