Worst Pearl Jam song ever....

Comments

• No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    rummy said:
    I'm a pretty big fan of No Code but "I'm Open" is pretty shocking.
    I've actually always liked I'm Open, but can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Sleeping by Myself should never have been done by the band. It was fine as an EV song, but it was instantly my least favourite thing they've ever done.  

There are other songs that I skip regularly, but can still enjoy them when the mood suits. They are mainly the slower songs off the last 2 records, like The End, Future Days, Sirens. I like them, but have to be in the mood to listen to them. Some of these really should be EV solo songs. Sirens  at least has a full band feel to it.

I liked Can't Deny me when it came out, but heard it for the first time in a while a few days ago and am over it. There's a sound they have gone for on the faster/punkier songs in the last few years (Mind your Manners/Deny Me/ole ) that has very little groove or emotion to it for me.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    rummy said:
    seemed like having filler material to avoid the straight "10 song" album was a thing in those days.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    rummy said:
    Let me sleep, it’s Christmas time.
    Especially when it's performed in May (Toronto 2016) or August (Seattle 2018)!

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I actually like Mankind. Lyrics are nonsense, but they are still many worse songs. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    The End, Sirens, Future Days, Just Breathe

/thread
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    edited June 2019

/thread
    If you are going to include these four then might as well make it an even "six pack" and include Speed of Sound and Sleeping By Myself.
    edited June 2019
    vaggar99 said:
    rummy said:
    seemed like having filler material to avoid the straight "10 song" album was a thing in those days.
    I've always thought No Code would have been better if it had been trimmed down to 10 songs...leave Mankind and I'm Open (and maybe Lukin) as b-sides. I know....heresy!

You can't change history but how great would it have been to get a Who You Are and/or Hail, Hail EP with three or four additional tracks (also taking into account the original b-sides/non-album tracks)? I think these songs would have been more appreciated as non-album tracks.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    rummy said:

/thread
    If you are going to include these four then might as well make it an even "six pack" and include Speed of Sound and Sleeping By Myself.
    Both SoS and SBM were great before the full band treatment. 

Id say remove Sirens and even Just Breathe and leave Future Days and The End in the Top. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I technically wouldn’t count I’m Open as a real song.  Just sounds like someone super high on weed having existential thoughts on the universe while farting around on a guitar in their living room.  I’ve been known to do it from time to time ....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    How can anyone think the lyrics to Mankind are nonsense?  Those words paint a great narrative picture of the way society behaves in the public eye.  And it was written in a time where likes, clicks, & reblogs weren't even a twinkle in Fuckerberg's eye.
    How can anyone think the lyrics to Mankind are nonsense?  Those words paint a great narrative picture of the way society behaves in the public eye.  And it was written in a time where likes, clicks, & reblogs weren't even a twinkle in Fuckerberg's eye.
    agreed...or I'm Open....great tune

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rummy said:
    I don't think it's their worst, but I really dislike it, because I just really dislike spoken word in general.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2019
    mace1229 said:
    I actually like Mankind. Lyrics are nonsense, but they are still many worse songs. 
    I dig it (and don't think the lyrics are nonsense).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Mankind was one of the - ONLY - four songs picked by Pearl Jam to put up on youtube from the last tour. So it must be considered some kind of highlight:

https://youtu.be/A7RnkT-RiAo

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    Wow, I think I'm Open and Mankind are both great and interesting on No Code. I'd put both of them above a lot of the songs on the last couple albums.
    Wow, I think I'm Open and Mankind are both great and interesting on No Code. I'd put both of them above a lot of the songs on the last couple albums.
    Mankind? Yes. I'm Open? Only if it's live acoustic - and therefore no spoken word part. 
    I think a lot of the songs on the last two albums (along with Ole and maybe CDM) are a given here. With this said, I still think "Pendulum" and "Getaway" are really good tunes and I'm still a sucker for "Unthought Known."
  • Chasing FootstepsChasing Footsteps Posts: 315
    edited July 2019
    Not sure I’m qualified to answer “worst PJ song ever”, but I am going to list a few, IMO (and experience), show killers:

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

Post edited by Chasing Footsteps on
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016
    Not sure I’m qualified to answer “worst PJ song ever”, but I am going to list a few, IMO (and experience), show killers:

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

I agree with Sirens...the rest prove that you are insane

• vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

i don't get the absolute hate for Sirens.  its a good song.  perhaps a little cheesy on the studio recording, but when played live without all the Brendan Obrien overproduction, it sounds quite good.  much like all of LB.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited July 2019
    vaggar99 said:

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

i don't get the absolute hate for Sirens.  its a good song.  perhaps a little cheesy on the studio recording, but when played live without all the Brendan Obrien overproduction, it sounds quite good.  much like all of LB.
    I'm glad you like it.  I think it appeals to a lot of people that favor country (not saying that is you) and also like Just Breathe, The End, Future Days, etc.

I just don't like it.  I don't like the simple lyrics that ooze with sap.  
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

Solid list right there. (Although sirens and wishlist have grown in me, the rest are definitely bottom of the barrel.)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

They are all definitely show killers. 
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    rummy said:
    Mankind? Yes. I'm Open? Only if it's live acoustic - and therefore no spoken word part. 
    I think a lot of the songs on the last two albums (along with Ole and maybe CDM) are a given here. With this said, I still think "Pendulum" and "Getaway" are really good tunes and I'm still a sucker for "Unthought Known."
    Yes, live I'm Open without the spoken word at Safeco was fun. Pendulum is the best song on Lightning Bolt imo and maybe the best on the last two albums. 
    mcgruff10 said:

In no particular order:
    - Sirens
    - Unemployable 
    - Infallible
    - Wishlist
    - Cropduster
    - Help Help

Solid list right there. (Although sirens and wishlist have grown in me, the rest are definitely bottom of the barrel.)
    I haven't witnessed "Wishlist" at a show since 1998 so I didn't realize is had a negative impact on a performance - but am not that surprised. I always thought it was a poor choice for a single when you have the likes of "In Hiding," "Faithfull," "Brain of J," and even "MFC."
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Wishlist  bores me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Wishlist  bores me.
    Yeah I can definitely see this song boring a lot of people.  
  • Come Back, a bad version of a Beatles song. Yes, the lyrics are beautiful but the song does nothing for me. 
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    I love come back and infallible. Still hate mankind with a passion. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.