Release a new record - The fan base wants it!

PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 400
Go ahead and agree with me or yell at me.... I don't care! Just make a new record!
If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H

Comments

• D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,766
    PJ5a1 said:
    Go ahead and agree with me or yell at me.... I don't care! Just make a new record!
    I endorse this thread 100% 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    we can pray
    danny d
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    And maybe say please! :wink:
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    edited June 2019
    We’re just here for the merch
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    you are asking for trouble.
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited June 2019
    danny said:
    we can pray

"Cryin' won't help you

prayin' won't do you no good"

What if it's a piece of crap like the last two releases ?

Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    ryph raph said:

WENT BACK TO THE STORE
    THEY GAVE ME FOUR MORE
    THE GUY TOLD ME AT THE DOOR
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    ryph raph said:
    danny said:
    we can pray

"Cryin' won't help you

just Lightning Bolt was crap.  Backspacer was quite good imho.  However, LB was crappy enough to warrant an immediate apology album.  Never happened.  I've mostly lost interest in the band for now.  I've given these guys thousands and thousands of $$ over the years.  They don't owe me anything, but I also realize that there are other artists/musicians that need my money much more.  Those are the ones I support now.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    What, so soon after the last one? 
    :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• otterotter Posts: 753
    edited June 2019
    brianlux said:
    What, so soon after the last one? 
    :lol: 
    Maybe if they wait long enough maybe we’ll get a quadruple album 
    Post edited by otter on
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    vaggar99 said:
    ryph raph said:
    danny said:
    we can pray

"Cryin' won't help you

just Lightning Bolt was crap.  Backspacer was quite good imho.  However, LB was crappy enough to warrant an immediate apology album.  Never happened.  I've mostly lost interest in the band for now.  I've given these guys thousands and thousands of $$ over the years.  They don't owe me anything, but I also realize that there are other artists/musicians that need my money much more.  Those are the ones I support now.
    ^^ All of this.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I just hope the cover art is rockin' this time around. 

No more "my first day with illustrator"-covers made for itunes or "my first time coloring a comic in photoshop - look at my gradients!" if it will be used on tour merch. 

Have it be more analog and handmade like Riot Act and the ones before that. 

Starting with whatever the Avocado cover was (THE GRADIENTS AGAIN)... come on now.

SAY NO TO GRADIENTS IN 2020 PEARL JAM
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited June 2019

I am not too excited about another album from Pearl Jam.  When I see how much effort and thought goes into The National making a record (they still care about the art and musicality of it), I'm less interested in uninspired mid-tempo rockers, pseudo punk songs and Ed solo songs that somehow make the album.  There have been good songs on the last two records but a whole lotta average dad rock. 

If I read about the making of the next record and it includes the typical..."we all sent each other demos";  "we recorded for three weeks and didn't have enough songs so we took another year break";  "we tried not to overthink it";  "the first take is typically the best", etc..... then I won't expect much. 

I would rather a huge swing and a miss than another LB or Backspacer.  Maybe I'm just expecting Pearl Jam to not be Pearl Jam after they have been together 25+ years.  I should just listen to The National if I want more piano driven rock, and if I want songs like Supersonic then I should listen to Pearl Jam. 

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Well, now, LB is my least favorite album too, but to call it "crap"..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    The fan base needs to find other things to occupy their time.  Pearl Jam isn't the sun; the world doesn't have to revolve around them ALL the time.

I am not too excited about another album from Pearl Jam.  When I see how much effort and thought goes into The National making a record (they still care about the art and musicality of it), I'm less interested in uninspired mid-tempo rockers, pseudo punk songs and Ed solo songs that somehow make the album.  There have been good songs on the last two records but a whole lotta average dad rock. 

If I read about the making of the next record and it includes the typical..."we all sent each other demos";  "we recorded for three weeks and didn't have enough songs so we took another year break";  "we tried not to overthink it";  "the first take is typically the best", etc..... then I won't expect much. 

I would rather a huge swing and a miss than another LB or Backspacer.  Maybe I'm just expecting Pearl Jam to not be Pearl Jam after they have been together 25+ years.  I should just listen to The National if I want more piano driven rock, and if I want songs like Supersonic then I should listen to Pearl Jam. 

Yeah, the whole ”when can we find a week out of our non-Pearl Jam schedule to piece together an album like cutting together a long lost Orson Wells movie found in pieces in a forgotten film vault somewhere” is pretty disheartening. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    At this point I'd even be satisfied with a single.  Especially the single Analog members haven't received from when that was still supposed to be part of the package. But that's old news now, isn't it?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The fan base needs to find other things to occupy their time.  Pearl Jam isn't the sun; the world doesn't have to revolve around them ALL the time.
    I think we have all found other ways because there's lots less of us than there were 3 years ago, that's for sure, either by banning or non-renewals. The occasional mention of a new album should at least be of some interest to fans and be a topic of conversation on the Porch of said band we are fans. I rarely visit this site any more, but I'm still a fan, just might not be a member for many years longer. Doesn't mean I don't like them. Just time to move on until there is reason to dive in again.

I'm going to see EV solo at Ohana for the first time this fall because I love his music and this band. At this time, I will still always find a way to make it to PJ if they are in my area, but that doesn't really happen much anymore, which is why I am travelling to see EV solo and make a vacation out of it at the same time.

I understand some people love the merch, but it gets old for me and even the last few vaults haven't really excited me that much. They have become formulaic the last 3 - 4 years and it's not a formula I like that much. Just my opinion.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2019
    Not a LB fan but its still a good listen.  Backspacer is killer tho.  When you think about it, THAT is PJ trying something different.  That’s as pop friendly/arena friendly as they’ve been since Yield and Ten.  Probably more.  Love Backspacer.  Nothing wrong with short tunes with hooks. 

Backspacer is aging really well.  It’s just a refreshing light album.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    You don’t have to like everything the band does and there are ways to express that without being rude. Please see the Posting Guidelines especially #1

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines#latest
    1. Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Please think of it as if you are as a guest in someone else's home. Please do not put your posting privileges at risk.

2. Discuss, disagree and debate politely. It's possible to disagree with people without being abusive, and it's a requirement here. This includes abusive Private Messages.

This discussion has been closed.