Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    So relevant to me right now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9CkvAQkQLs
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Oh man, that song is ten thousand tons of heaviness.  Talk about a deep cut.  That one goes to the bottom of one's soul.  But at the same time, it's one of those songs that's a soothing balm to the soul.  It's easy to get lost in that one.  Great pick.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    goldrush said:
    Should I have bought it (95 dollars)? Also had Le Noise and Living with War for $110 and Silver and Gold for $40

Yes, you should have bought Are You Passionate, Le Noise and Living With War and sent them over to me!
    They were all part of a bunch of records that got damaged in a move years ago, and I haven’t been able to replace yet.
    Even for 100 a pop? :O

they had sleeps with angels too. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    goldrush said:
    Should I have bought it (95 dollars)? Also had Le Noise and Living with War for $110 and Silver and Gold for $40

Yes, you should have bought Are You Passionate, Le Noise and Living With War and sent them over to me!
    They were all part of a bunch of records that got damaged in a move years ago, and I haven’t been able to replace yet.
    Even for 100 a pop? :O

they had sleeps with angels too. 
    Yep, even for that price I would have been very tempted to get at least one of them. Probably all three.

It wouldn’t have been the most I’ve paid for vinyl...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    brianlux said:
    Oh man, that song is ten thousand tons of heaviness.  Talk about a deep cut.  That one goes to the bottom of one's soul.  But at the same time, it's one of those songs that's a soothing balm to the soul.  It's easy to get lost in that one.  Great pick.
    Very true.
    "I went to the radio interview. But I ended up alone at the microphone". 
    Feeling of disconnection amongst crowds.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    Very true.
    "I went to the radio interview. But I ended up alone at the microphone". 
    Feeling of disconnection amongst crowds.
    True story 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Yep I know.
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    I made a mistake and I bought an unofficial sealed copy of Le Noise. if anybody Is interested I am selling it for 25 USD
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Air23 said:
    I made a mistake and I bought an unofficial sealed copy of Le Noise. if anybody Is interested I am selling it for 25 USD
    I have one of these, and it doesn’t sound awful. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    dankind said:
    Air23 said:

where did you get that?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    I really want an original Le Noise on vinyl. I had to settle for the Bluray instead. much too expensive.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited June 2019
    lolobugg said:
    dankind said:
    Air23 said:

where did you get that?
    Some Alabama mama jama gave it to me.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    lolobugg said:
    I really want an original Le Noise on vinyl. I had to settle for the Bluray instead. much too expensive.
    Same here.  I blew it with that one.  When it came out, Dimple in Sacramento had the new vinyl for around $25 and at the time I thought that was way too much.  Dang!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

fk I am loving the On The Beach album right now.
    Glad I found a copy on CD back at the start of the year, remastered!
    edited June 2019
    I'm struggling to like 'Tonight's The Night'.

I've given it a number of listens and it's not doing anything for me.
    It's rated as one of his best albums and is on Rolling Stone's top 500 greatest albums of all time list.

I dig "Mellow My Mind" however. 

Any fans of this album?
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    edited June 2019

It's rated as one of his best albums and is on Rolling Stone's top 500 greatest albums of all time list.

Any fans of this album?
    There has always been something keeping me from being head over heels into it to:

https://instagram.com/p/Bbh4_xflRw6/

Following the death of Crazy Horse member Danny Whitten and roadie Bruce Berry Neil Young recorded this raw and painfully personal record - even including a note saying sorry to the listener for its personal nature. There's pretty much no production to separate Neil from me, and maybe that has a part in why I don't revisit the album that often. It sounds in part like demos in all the crudeness and Neils voice shifting in volume. Even though there are really great songs on it, e.g. World on a string, Borrowed tune and Tired Eyes.

Any fans of this album?
    There has always been something keeping me from being head over heels into it to:

https://instagram.com/p/Bbh4_xflRw6/

Following the death of Crazy Horse member Danny Whitten and roadie Bruce Berry Neil Young recorded this raw and painfully personal record - even including a note saying sorry to the listener for its personal nature. There's pretty much no production to separate Neil from me, and maybe that has a part in why I don't revisit the album that often. It sounds in part like demos in all the crudeness and Neils voice shifting in volume. Even though there are really great songs on it, e.g. World on a string, Borrowed tune and Tired Eyes.
    Yeah, I like World on a string and Tired eyes.

Any fans of this album?
    It's definitely one of my all-time favorite Neil Young albums with with a slight catch.  This is one that I only listen to late at night when in the right mood.  The more tired and depressed I am, the more I love this album. 

Well will wonders never cease!  I finally got word that my pre-order for Dead Man has finally shipped.  Thought I'd never see it!

brianlux said:
    Well will wonders never cease!  I finally got word that my pre-order for Dead Man has finally shipped.  Thought I'd never see it!
    Fuck to the yeah!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Fuck to the yeah!
    LOL, a new awesome term to add to my vocabulary!  :lol: 

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Tonight's The Night is my favorite album of all time by anyone.  I can't relate to any Neil Young fan not liking it but that's okay.  We don't all have to love the same music.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    "Roxy - Tonight's The Night Live" is Album of the Week on NYA, and Neil has posted some interesting insight into the TTN sessions.
    Looks like the original version of TTN will be included in the Archives Volume 2 box set :smiley:

(Tim Rogers)
    Scored a nice new copy at Dimples today for 20% off!

What is everyone's favourite album?
    I really love On The Beach. 
    What is everyone's favourite album?
    I really love On The Beach. 
    What next?  Going to ask which family member I love the most?  :lol: 

Oh, that's tough!  If I had to go with one and only one as a favorite, a lot would depend on when I answered.  But that's copping out on the question! 

OK, I'll go with Rust Never Sleeps.  The first time I heard Rust I was at a small intimate party outdoors in the countryside  in Windsor CA (before it was ruined and turned into a wealthy Sonoma County suburb) on a perfect late spring evening.  It was magic.  Such a great album and I really love the two differing sides that somehow make total sense.  And the album builds and is sequenced perfectly.  One of the greatest.

edited June 2019
    Elliot Roberts, Neil’s friend and manager for over 50 years, has passed away.

Ralph Molina just confirmed the sad news on Facebook a little while ago:

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    edited June 2019
    Elliot was described in Jimmy McDonough’s “Shakey” biography like this:

"There have been other infamous artist/manager teams in rock and roll – Dylan and Albert Grossman. Ray Charles and Joe Adams, Bruce Springsteen and Jon Landau – and, of course, Elvis and Colonel Tom Parker. Elliot Roberts definitely resides in that hall of infamy – and is the only human capable of guiding Neil Young's career."  
      "Neil likes quirky people around him," said Elliot Roberts, Young's manager since the late sixties. "I think having quirky people around him lessens-in his mind-his own quirkiness. 'Yes, I am standing on my head, but look at these two other guys nude standing on their head.' " His mane of gray hair flying, Roberts was on his ninety-sixth phone call of the day, either chewing out some record-company underling or closing a million-dollar deal. Not far away, a bearded, sunglassed David Briggs- Young's producer-prowled the stage, palming a cigarette J.D.-style and looking like the devil himself. 
       Briggs and Roberts were the twin engines that powered the Neil Young hot rod. Feared, at times hated, both men possessed killer instincts and had been with Neil almost from the beginning. Roberts was a genius at pushing Young's career, Briggs at pushing his art. It's an understatement to say the two didn't always see eye to eye. Roberts and Briggs were two of the quirkiest characters around- difficult, complicated men-but then so was just about everybody and everything in Young's world. 
      "Let's look at Neil's whole trip-the ranch, the people he plays with," said computer wizard Bryan Bell, who worked extensively with Young in the late eighties. " 'Easy' isn't in the vocabulary."

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Elliot Roberts, Neil’s friend and manager for over 40 years, has passed away.

Ralph Molina just confirmed the sad news on Facebook a little while ago:

Oh, this is a huge loss.  Roberts was such a huge part of not just Neil's work over the years but, as Wikipedia lists them, these as well:

Joni Mitchell
    Neil Young
    Buffalo Springfield
    Crosby, Still, Nash and Young
    Bob Dylan,
    The Eagles
    Tom Petty
    Talking Heads
    Devo
    Tracy Chapman,
    Spiritualized
    Mazzy Star
    Devendra Banhart
    The Alarm

Very few in the world of music have had a resume like that.  Very say news.

R.I.P. Eliot Roberts.