Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Looks like the Android app is finally up!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shakey.nyarchives

@my2hands I think you've been waiting for this...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    goldrush said:

Thanks for that info, but it's not up on my Android.
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:

I find it.  I had to send that Link to my e-mail and then i was able to open it from there. It didn't show up for me when i typed in Neil Young Archives in Google Store.

THANKS!!!
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    goldrush said:

I find it.  I had to send that Link to my e-mail and then i was able to open it from there. It didn't show up for me when i typed in Neil Young Archives in Google Store.

THANKS!!!
    Yeah a few people have pointed that out on the FB group. I couldn’t see itv mentioned on the NYA site either. Maybe it’s like a soft launch to make sure it works before it’s announced? Anyway, glad you found it!

(Tim Rogers)

(Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    I don't need to have anyhting to do with the fifteen million different versions of Storytone and shit in my life.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I'll just leave this right here...

https://youtu.be/fJ9QV4qddzs

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I'll just leave this right here...

https://youtu.be/fJ9QV4qddzs
    Nothing makes me feel magic like this. NOTHING.

(maybe the studio version of I AM MINE)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768

-Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

RobbyD462 said:

Fuck. From your posts layout it looked like Neil had a look alike with him on stage.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    RobbyD462 said:

Fuck. From your posts layout it looked like Neil had a look alike with him on stage.
    Probably just the lighting lol
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

Neil Young Gets Plug Pulled On Set at BottleRock, Keeps Playing Anyway

Will Gottsegen // May 28, 2019
    EMAIL
    TWEET
    REDDIT
    Neil
    CREDIT: Matt Kincaid/Getty Images

Neil Young performed his classic song “Rockin’ In The Free World” at BottleRock Napa Valley this past Saturday, but not without a few hiccups. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the festival instituted a strict 10 p.m. curfew back in 2013, when nearby residents complained about the noise. When Young decided to play through the curfew, the festival cut off the speakers on the main stage; Young and his band played on with the help of their much quieter stage amps.

The Chronicle reports that Young is hardly the first artist to break BottleRock’s curfew, with The Foo Fighters breaking it in 2017 and The Cure breaking it in 2014. The festival pulled the plug on both bands. Holding a music festival in a residential neighborhood feels like a recipe for disaster, but it hasn’t stopped BottleRock so far. Other performers included Imagine Dragons, Logic, OneRepublic, Mumford & Sons, Santana, Pharrell Williams, Big Boi, Citizen Cope, Shannon & The Clams, and more. Jeff Goldblum and Big Boi were among those appearing on the festival’s Culinary Stage, which pairs musicians and celebrity chefs (Masaharu Morimoto, Antoni Porowski, etc.) for “culinary-infused antics.”

cutz said:

Neil Young Gets Plug Pulled On Set at BottleRock, Keeps Playing Anyway

Will Gottsegen // May 28, 2019
    EMAIL
    TWEET
    REDDIT
    Neil
    CREDIT: Matt Kincaid/Getty Images

Neil Young performed his classic song “Rockin’ In The Free World” at BottleRock Napa Valley this past Saturday, but not without a few hiccups. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the festival instituted a strict 10 p.m. curfew back in 2013, when nearby residents complained about the noise. When Young decided to play through the curfew, the festival cut off the speakers on the main stage; Young and his band played on with the help of their much quieter stage amps.

The Chronicle reports that Young is hardly the first artist to break BottleRock’s curfew, with The Foo Fighters breaking it in 2017 and The Cure breaking it in 2014. The festival pulled the plug on both bands. Holding a music festival in a residential neighborhood feels like a recipe for disaster, but it hasn’t stopped BottleRock so far. Other performers included Imagine Dragons, Logic, OneRepublic, Mumford & Sons, Santana, Pharrell Williams, Big Boi, Citizen Cope, Shannon & The Clams, and more. Jeff Goldblum and Big Boi were among those appearing on the festival’s Culinary Stage, which pairs musicians and celebrity chefs (Masaharu Morimoto, Antoni Porowski, etc.) for “culinary-infused antics.”

There's a video of it online now.
    Skip to around 7:50 to see someone tell Neil the plug was being pulled... then keep on playing anyway!

https://youtu.be/-5DZLXpE9P8

(Tim Rogers)
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Reminds me of the Neil Young & Crazy Horse show from the link below. I've never been able to locate any video (outside of a very brief snippet from MTV News segment) of this show. I would REALLY love a bootleg of it. I've read that there is a copy out there but I have not been able to find it.

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2009/08/concert-ill-never-forget-horde-97.html?m=1

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

(Tim Rogers)
    The admin of one of the Facebook fan pages has put together a list of all of the latest replies/updates from the Letters To The Editor:

Neil plans no extra bonus tracks on the ‘Deja Vu’ rerelease. He “doesn’t remember” any outtakes for the album although there is evidence that there are in fact a number in existence.

‘Toast’ is ready for release but is waiting for a “window” in the schedule. It will have “quite a few unheard tracks".

‘Early Daze’ with Crazy Horse early material is “already compiled and ready for mastering”.

Neil thinks an album of Ducks material from 1977 is also finished but is “checking on that”.

Neil says there were no outtakes during the ‘Hawks & Doves’ sessions, but his memory may not be reliable.

The full 18-minute version of ‘Crime In The City/Sixty To Zero’ is scheduled for release on an album Neil is calling ‘Greatest Misses’. It has also been mentioned on an album called ‘Amazing Freedom’. 

‘Pink Moon’ is only a "working title" for the forthcoming album of new material with Crazy Horse, "but we like it". Due for release in September.

‘Separate Ways’ will be released on the forthcoming ‘Homegrown’ album. 

‘Hole In The Sky’ and ‘Singer Without A Song’ are scheduled to appear on the forthcoming ‘Alchemy’ album, now in post-production.

‘Tuscaloosa’ release date is due to be June 7.

Neil thinks ‘Come Along And Say You Will’ is going to be on Disc 1 of the forthcoming Archives Vol. 2.

Tracks from the 1982 ‘Island In The Sun’ album, which was rejected by Geffen Records and never released, may be coming as an EP.

‘Oceanside Countryside’ “has been completed in its original form and will be released as soon as we can”

There’s also the Ragged Glory 2 coming at some point, but there’s been no update on that.

(Tim Rogers)
    RELEASE THE MIRRORBALL DUBLIN VIDEO IN 4K
    For anyone wondering why Neil’s records don’t include download codes...

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    For anyone wondering why Neil’s records don’t include download codes...

Cranky
    edited June 2019
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • modernmonkeymodernmonkey Posts: 175
    I'm really digging Tuscaloosa after the first few listens :)
    1996:Cork 2000:Dublin 2006:Dublin,Barcelona,Madrid 2007:London,Dusseldorf,Nijmegen
    2009:Manchester,London 2010:Dublin,Belfast,London,Berlin 2012: Manchester 1 +2,Stockholm,copenhagen 2013: New York ,Philadelphia
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 2018: London 1, Lisbon 2022: London 1+ 2, Krakow 2023: Austin 1 + 2
    edited June 2019
    Should I have bought it (95 dollars)? Also had Le Noise and Living with War for $110 and Silver and Gold for $40

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I think Are You Passionate? is the only Neil album I’ve ever sold back to the record store. 

I should probably give it another chance, but my reactionary response to the reactionary “Let’s Roll” was too strong at the time to give it a proper listen.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    I bought it for $9 and I still over paid for it.

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    edited June 2019
    I think are you passionate is a somewhat underrated Neil album.  Obviously not his absolute best, but has a more soulful sound than some of his others.  Admittedly it’s been a few years since I listened but I put it on a number of times over the years.

That said I wouldn’t personally pay $95 for any album.
    dankind said:
    I think Are You Passionate? is the only Neil album I’ve ever sold back to the record store. 

I should probably give it another chance, but my reactionary response to the reactionary “Let’s Roll” was too strong at the time to give it a proper listen.
    Great song. 

Love the album. And the first time I saw him live was before that album release so he played songs off it. 

But alot of money. Ill wait for a reissue 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

Great song. 

Love the album. And the first time I saw him live was before that album release so he played songs off it. 

Great song?

Maybe. 

All I know is that upon first listen, I felt like I was listening to a Ted Nugent song or something and was worried that we had lost Neil over to the dark side. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I had the weirdest dream about Neil Young last night.   In the dream, I was watching some recent footage of Neil playing solo and the camera slowing zoomed in on his face closer and closer until all you could see was his teeth and you could see that he had some sort of dental wire devices around his teeth that looked like a cross between braces and a retainer.  I woke up and immediately thought about this photo I've seen somewhere in which his teeth don't look so great and I thought, "Well, good for Neil for getting his teeth fixed."  I also though about these lyrics from "Sedan Delivery": Next day I went to the dentist/  he pulled some teeth and I lost some blood
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

dankind said:
    dankind said:

Great song. 

Great song?

Maybe. 

All I know is that upon first listen, I felt like I was listening to a Ted Nugent song or something and was worried that we had lost Neil over to the dark side. 
    Didnt know who Ted nugent was on 2002

i just found it great. Laid back. Groove. Haunting. Neils almost speaking instead of singing. 
    Should I have bought it (95 dollars)? Also had Le Noise and Living with War for $110 and Silver and Gold for $40

Yes, you should have bought Are You Passionate, Le Noise and Living With War and sent them over to me!
    They were all part of a bunch of records that got damaged in a move years ago, and I haven’t been able to replace yet.

(Tim Rogers)