Same Song Title, Different Band/Artist: "Dreams”

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
edited June 2019 in Other Music
Happy Friday!  This week's song title is "Dreams" where I found a few excellent versions spanning a few different decades.

Fleetwood Mac - Released on the album "Rumors" in 1977
Allman Brothers Band - Released on their self-titled album in 1969
The Cranberries - Their debut single released in 1992
Val Halen - Released on the album "5150" in 1986, Sammy Hagar's debut with the band

If there is another version you feel strongly about, please feel free to bring it up!

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Same Song Title, Different Band/Artist: "Dreams” 17 votes

Fleetwood Mac
11%
F Me In The Brainrummy 2 votes
Allman Brothers Band
23%
hedonistpjsteelerfanDewieCoxSmallestOceans 4 votes
The Cranberries
29%
pjhawkshrd2imgnOnWis97eeriepadaveGlorified KC 5 votes
Van Halen
23%
PoncierHobbespearldavidsonnjnancy 4 votes
Other
11%
benjstempo_n_groove 2 votes
Post edited by Glorified KC on

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    Other
    Beck - Dreams
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Other
    Beck
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Fleetwood Mac
    This is a pretty good batch of songs! Tough choice.
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,495
    The Cranberries
    benjs said:
    Beck - Dreams
    Ugh, I knew I was overlooking something!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    The Cranberries
    I do like Beck's song a lot but dig Cranberries one a little more.  Another "Dreams" song. this one by tv on the radio

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    The Cranberries
    I do like Beck's song a lot but dig Cranberries one a little more.  Another "Dreams" song. this one by tv on the radio

Very cool.  Every time I hear TV on the Radio I think to myself I should listen to more of their music.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    The Cranberries

Very cool.  Every time I hear TV on the Radio I think to myself I should listen to more of their music.
    go with that instinct :wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Van Halen
    VH version was the first to come to mind even before seeing the options.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Allman Brothers Band
    Hmmm.  Fleetwood Mac for nostalgic reasons or The Allmans for some good jamming?
    Fleetwood Mac
    I still can't choose. The songs are all great for different reasons.
    Fleetwood Mac
    I do think it's pretty cool, however, that each "Dreams" was released in a different decade!
    Allman Brothers - 1960's
    Fleetwood Mac - 1970's
    Van Halen - 1980's
    Cranberries - 1990's
    TV On The Radio - 2000's
    Beck - 2010's

The Cranberries
    I didn't think of "Dreams" as a common title until the 11th hour.  I voted the Cranberries, but I love Fleetwood Mac and Van Halen's versions so much.  Too bad I didn't get TV on the Radio and Beck as choices.
    Fleetwood Mac
    It's a good thing that you stuck to songs that were titled "Dreams" and nothing else...holy heck, I never realized how many your the word "dream" (or some form of it) in their song titles!
    https://www.songfacts.com/search/songs/dream
    The Cranberries
    If I allowed small variations of the title, e.g. "Dreaming, Dreaming of You, etc." I worry that would be opening up the floodgates and diluting down the theme.  That is nuts how many songs have "Dreams" in the title or just some form of dream period.  
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Allman Brothers Band
    Van Halen and Cranberries even and/or ahead of Allman’s and Fleetwood Mac? Are this and the Weakest Link threads just troll fodder?
    The Cranberries
    DewieCox said:
    Van Halen and Cranberries even and/or ahead of Allman’s and Fleetwood Mac? Are this and the Weakest Link threads just troll fodder?
    Why would this be Troll Fodder?  I'm not trying to get people at odds with each other.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Allman Brothers Band
    DewieCox said:
    Why would this be Troll Fodder?  I'm not trying to get people at odds with each other.

Not so much you or Medozk, but some of the results have a certain trollish slant to them.
    The Cranberries
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

Not so much you or Medozk, but some of the results have a certain trollish slant to them.
    I guess I'm trying to understand how that would be trolling.  I can't control who people pick.  This poll isn't so much meant to say which version is better, it's more which is your favorite.  I have a very tough time saying which one is "best" myself.  I love Fleetwood Mac's and Van Halen's versions.  I just remember hearing the Cranberries first, because that was the era I started getting into music.  If you're put off that the two versions you think that are "best" aren't getting their recognition based on the results, I can't do anything about that.
    Fleetwood Mac
    DewieCox said:
    DewieCox said:

I guess I'm trying to understand how that would be trolling.  I can't control who people pick.  This poll isn't so much meant to say which version is better, it's more which is your favorite.  I have a very tough time saying which one is "best" myself.  I love Fleetwood Mac's and Van Halen's versions.  I just remember hearing the Cranberries first, because that was the era I started getting into music.  If you're put off that the two versions you think that are "best" aren't getting their recognition based on the results, I can't do anything about that.
    Plus the Cranberries tune was in every other movie promo for about a decade! It was impossible to NOT hear it.
    Fleetwood Mac
    In the end, I've gone with the cool vibe of the Fleetwood Mac song.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Van Halen
    Hobbes said:
    VH version was the first to come to mind even before seeing the options.
    Exactly my thought! One of EVH's top 20 solos, and he plays piano, rhythm and lead guitar. :heart:
    The Cranberries
    DewieCox said:
    I think I misinterpreted what you were trying to get across @DewieCox.  You're more saying that whomever is voting is making a choice just to start a debate on their own behalf.  Not so much choosing because they believe that's the "best" choice, but choosing to get someone to come at them?  If so, I apologize for misinterpreting this.